Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Army Barracks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Will the barracks now be used for housing as i see Castlebar and Ballina are on the list to receive the Syrian refugees.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-reveals-26-sites-which-will-house-thousands-of-refugees-fleeing-syrian-conflict-34320992.html

You have to hand it to Kenny he may not be able to get a single job for the people of Mayo but we certainly are high on the list for housing refugees.

Oddly the counties where the vast amount of job announcements are announced are bottom of the list or not even listed.

So what counties are these then?

And have you a problem with refugees being housed in Mayo or what exactly is your point?

So what counties are these then?

And have you a problem with refugees being housed in Mayo or what exactly is your point?

Simple, if the government deems Mayo is good enough to house more than its share of refugees than it it should also be good enough to have jobs directed to the region.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Simple, if the government deems Mayo is good enough to house more than its share of refugees than it it should also be good enough to have jobs directed to the region.

The refugees deserve better than this kind of petty nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The refugees deserve better than this kind of petty nonsense.

Will you accommodate some of them in your home? In your neighbourhood?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bagels wrote: »
    Will you accommodate some of them in your home? In your neighbourhood?

We already do and there is nothing unusual in that here! My neighbors on my left are refugees from the Tamil Tiger war, across the street is a family from the Bosnia war, who's children regularly seek my wife out for help with their homework because of the language. And like most Swiss towns we have a refugee center currently housing about 50 to 60 people from Africa who are various stages of being processed. At the end of the day they are just human beings trying to find somewhere safe and secure where they can make a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

We already do and there is nothing unusual in that here! My neighbors on my left are refugees from the Tamil Tiger war, across the street is a family from the Bosnia war, who's children regularly seek my wife out for help with their homework because of the language. And like most Swiss towns we have a refugee center currently housing about 50 to 60 people from Africa who are various stages of being processed. At the end of the day they are just human beings trying to find somewhere safe and secure where they can make a life.[/QUOTE

That is great to hear.

On the other side, about 250 are being housed in an old convent in Ballyhaunis awaiting decisions under the Direct Provision scheme. Some there for up to ten years. A lot in a small town

nuac wrote: »
    We already do and there is nothing unusual in that here! My neighbors on my left are refugees from the Tamil Tiger war, across the street is a family from the Bosnia war, who's children regularly seek my wife out for help with their homework because of the language. And like most Swiss towns we have a refugee center currently housing about 50 to 60 people from Africa who are various stages of being processed. At the end of the day they are just human beings trying to find somewhere safe and secure where they can make a life.

That is great to hear.

On the other side, about 250 are being housed in an old convent in Ballyhaunis awaiting decisions under the Direct Provision scheme. Some there for up to ten years. A lot in a small town

Fortunately for them there will soon be more and more empty properties for them as more and more locals have to permanently move their families to Dublin and London for work. The good news for Jim and others who don't actually live or work here is that they should be able to get cheaper holiday homes as well from the locals who had to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i assume that when the refugees come to the towns mentioned they will have been processed so they will be going into houses.

yes we have high unemployment and yes we can justifiably complain about lack of investment in infrastructure etc but i don't think those things have anything to do with these people coming to our community.

i for one welcome them and look forward to their arrival in ballina, we have had a community of Burmese refugees for a number of years and in my experience they are very nice people who get on well.

these poor people are refugees fleeing their homes and families here is our opportunity to help them and to extend a cead mile failte to some people who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What would Mayo's fair share be then? No numbers have even been mentioned afaik.

What would Mayo's fair share be then? No numbers have even been mentioned afaik.

The refugees or the numbers of them don't bother me. What bothers me is that absolutely no effort is been made to keep the local people in Mayo. The smaller and even bigger towns are been completely gutted and the people transferring to Dublin and London out of necessity.

Most of my school mates in there 30's want to raise their families in their home of Mayo or even Connacht instead of Dublin or London. There is not even jobs to apply for or an effort been made to create them.

If the government put in a tiny effort to create work in the regions local people can return home. This then creates breathing space in the cities for those that want to move there.

I live next door to a Nigerian family who have just got citizenship. They do not want to be in Mayo and were transferred from Dublin recently. They would prefer to be in larger population centres even Galway as they claim to be bored senseless. The Burmese wanted to and did integrate. Hopefully the Syrians have the same ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

The refugees or the numbers of them don't bother me. What bothers me is that absolutely no effort is been made to keep the local people in Mayo. The smaller and even bigger towns are been completely gutted and the people transferring to Dublin and London out of necessity.

Most of my school mates in there 30's want to raise their families in their home of Mayo or even Connacht instead of Dublin or London. There is not even jobs to apply for or an effort been made to create them.

I live next door to a Nigerian family who have just got citizenship. They do not want to be in Mayo and were transferred from Dublin recently. They would prefer to be in larger population centres even Galway as they claim to be bored senseless.

If the government put in a tiny effort to create work in the regions local people can return home. This then creates breathing space in the cities for those that want to move there.

that's all fair enough and i agree with every word of it. it has nothing whatsoever to do with ballina and castlebar taking in some refugee families though.

by linking the 2 issues you are simply trying to cause a problem where there isn't one, its this kind of thinking that leads to trouble, ''their taking our jobs and houses'' nonsense.

we have big problems in mayo with unemployment and under investment, those problems were not caused by refugees and will not be solved by lack of refugees.
    welcoming refugees to our community will not make our problems any worse or any better it is a completely separate issue.

farmchoice wrote: »
    that's all fair enough and i agree with every word of it. it has nothing whatsoever to do with ballina and castlebar taking in some refugee families though.

by linking the 2 issues you are simply trying to cause a problem where there isn't one, its this kind of thinking that leads to trouble, ''their taking our jobs and houses'' nonsense.

we have big problems in mayo with unemployment and under investment, those problems were not caused by refugees and will not be solved by lack of refugees.
    welcoming refugees to our community will not make our problems any worse or any better it is a completely separate issue.

They are separate issues but solving one does help to solve the other. You will have Mayo people living in Dublin who do not want to live there and would prefer to return home and you will have refugees living in Mayo that want to live in Dublin. It does not take much effort on the governments part to resolve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The rumours of the new centre of excellence that was meant to be going into the Barracks already being dead in the water due to the feasibility of the project seem to be correct then, was always going to be pie in the sky anyway.

I know a few of the residents who live on the street to the left of the Barracks entrance, most are elderly and they are quite worried about the refugees coming so close to them when the first reports of this happening came out a few months ago.

Advertisement