Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dog won't stop barking.

• 29-12-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Iv got a 12 year old golden retriever. She lives outside with 2 other retrievers and 2 sheepdogs. For the last 2 weeks she's started barking, the type of bark she used to do when she had something and one of the other dogs wanted it. Just a single bark every few seconds. Iv been watching her and she's doing it only at the door of the shed where they all go during the day if it's cold or windy. There's loads of space and straw in that shed so it's not like theres another dog or cat is in her bed.
    There's usually a few cats in there asleep in the straw but they don't bother her at all, there's also a few hens in a pen in the corner of that shed for the winter but she's well used to them too. She just stands outside the shed barking, not really looking at anything in particular & wagging her tail.
    There's no point calling her because her hearing isn't the best, she is fit and healthy, eating and drinking fine, very lively these days so I don't think it's pain & she only ever does it in that one spot. Any suggestions on what it could be or how to stop it? It's starting to get really annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Bring her in, the weather is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Bring her in, the weather is awful
    That's not an option.she's been outside her whole life & is not bothered by any weather conditions. There's loads of warm places to go outside but she chose to stand outside barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I was about to say could she be going deaf. I have come across a number of deaf dogs who bark excessively, as if just trying to hear something.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I was about to say could she be going deaf. I have come across a number of deaf dogs who bark excessively, as if just trying to hear something.

That could be it. She is hard of hearing but not fully deaf. She is well able to hear her name at dinner time or during a walk but if she's asleep,I have to touch off of her to wake her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

fathead82 wrote: »
    That could be it. She is hard of hearing but not fully deaf. She is well able to hear her name at dinner time or during a walk but if she's asleep,I have to touch off of her to wake her up.

Keep in mind the circumstances when she runs to you for dinner, do the other dogs get moving first? She could be following the motion of everyone else. When you call her, are you looking at her, or is she out of sight when you call?

Dogs can be VERY good at hiding the severity of their hearing/sight issues.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    Keep in mind the circumstances when she runs to you for dinner, do the other dogs get moving first? She could be following the motion of everyone else. When you call her, are you looking at her, or is she out of sight when you call?

Dogs can be VERY good at hiding the severity of their hearing/sight issues.
    For dinner,she usually knows a few minutes before & is waiting.they are fed at the same time every day so it's routine.
    Just a few minutes ago,I was in the shed & she was walking past,I was out of sight & called her name,she turned straight away & started looking for me. She definitely has some hearing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmm... That sort of barking in an elderly dog points strongly to 2 things op... Sensory loss (already discussed), and dementia.
    Other signs of dementia can include changes in sleep/wake patterns, changes in activity levels (noticeably more sedate or more restless than usual), changes in the dog's desire for social contact (seeking it more, or avoiding it more than normal), loss of training (housetraining, obedience skills), depression, confusion, mood changes.
    It'd do no harm to have her checked out by the vet, and assume you're looking at dementia, or a combination of dementia and sensory loss. I say assume, because even if it's not dementia, the following measures should be considered for all elderly dogs anyway!
    Things can be improved a lot via dietary changes, supplementation with dementia -reducing products, anxiety-reducing meds, and environmental management (I've written at length about this before, a forum search should find these posts so you can get more specific info), but it is important to catch it early... The earlier you intervene, the better the prognosis, by a long shot!

Thanks DBB , I'll look that up and have a read. I haven't noticed any changes in her behaviour apart from the barking.she still interacts normally with the other dogs, animals & people here.I find it strange that she always barks while standing in that one spot.iv never seen her do it anywhere else & it's a big yard with loads of sheds.
    I'll try get her in for a check up tomorrow or Thursday. When you say dietary changes, what do you mean? Shes on gain all dog senior.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Advertisement