Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No fireworks in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There is the law...and there is what people do.

Halloween in my neighbourhood is like Vietnam in 1968.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's because of the RA and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not since the firework massacres of the sixties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Asmooh wrote: »
    Is it true you cannot do fireworks in Ireland?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/the_law_on_fireworks.html#l1f4da

Well.. that makes everything even more boring, or is this information wrong?

Everything even more boring?

Well you dont like it, you know where the airport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah the armed wing of Sinn Fein caused this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I didn't say I didn't like it did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Well this is a healthy policy to have to people who you disagree with/wish for reform??

Yes.All critics must leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

can be used at events with the proper licences.

Actually, I really didn't know.
    And where I was born, they are thinking of taking away fireworks because of complains and there is huge news and discussion about it.

So I was surprised that it was not allowed here (we just started talking about it at work, that was the only reason I researched it)

• Advertisement

Did us all a favour whoever got rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

So they're actually flat out banned? Never knew that, sure they're all over the place.

This is like when I moved out of the country side to go to college and found out that there were actual laws about when pubs were supposed to close, and not just whenever-Jimmy-gets-fed-up-serving-pints o'clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Excellent advice.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

So they're actually flat out banned? Never knew that, sure they're all over the place.

This is like when I moved out of the country side to go to college and found out that there were actual laws about when pubs were supposed to close, and not just whenever-Jimmy-gets-fed-up-serving-pints o'clock

We used to get offered fireworks in October by the same car loads of people who used to offer us drugs the rest of the year. Was surprised when I did my first trip back to London as a teen and noticed fireworks shops that would pop up for October and November and sell to anyone over 16, I think, might have been 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I didn't say I didn't like it did I?

oh you meant boring in it's most positive sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

kneemos wrote: »
    Yes.All critics must leave.

Would that make Ireland the world's largest uninhabited island?

oh you meant boring in it's most positive sense?

Well, maybe I think you are boring, doesn't mean I cannot like you as you are.
    Same here, I think many things are boring.. but the country itself is beautiful and that's why I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

There are indeed no fireworks in Ireland, ever. No siree, not a single one. Banned - outright. The last screamer went off in 1986, in Knocklyon. I remember it well. Tears were shed at the passing of a yearly ritual. Much like no one ever uses a mobile phone while driving.

Ah, the good old days, when you could be flying along in the Fiesta, yakking away on the phone, drunk as a lord and letting off rockets on the back seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Saint Patrick drove them out.

There are indeed no fireworks in Ireland, ever. No siree, not a single one. Banned - outright. The last screamer went off in 1986, in Knocklyon. I remember it well. Tears were shed at the passing of a yearly ritual. Much like no one ever uses a mobile phone while driving.

Ah, the good old days, when you could be flying along in the Fiesta, yakking away on the phone, drunk as a lord and letting off rockets on the back seats.
    Are you sure about this? I see so many people using the phone when driving..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not at all. You're imagining it. Never ever happens in this country. We're grand without using phones while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You need a licence.

Or membership of an organisation. *

* (Maybe that one isn't legal).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Giiiit ouuttt of my countryy

uhg3RZL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You're Dutch right, say it as you see it, very direct. But you're in Ireland now so I suggest you get used to the local language (not English or Irish, but Sarcasm!).

Mena wrote: »
    You're Dutch right, say it as you see it, very direct. But you're in Ireland now so I suggest you get used to the local language (not English or Irish, but Sarcasm!).

LOL, good point I still trying to get used to things after a year :p maybe I should be less focus on how things were before I moved here but more how things are now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Menas wrote: »

Underage Asian prostitutes? PM me your address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Three grand fine and your vehicle seized is too high a price to pay

Much harder to source in the north as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

If fireworks were allowed in Ireland it won't be long before some fool blows his hand off due to his own stupidity and gets on to the papers blaming the firework, the lad who sold it, the weather, the pope and before ya know it there'll be a public outcry and they'll be banned again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

love it.

peace. let the little bastards play xbox on flatscreen lcd screens and be content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Children of gardai have the most fireworks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

When we were kids we used to spend the school holidays in France. My brother used to bring a load of fireworks back in his luggage and sell them to his school buddies at a serious markup! This is when he was about 9. Very enterprising young fella. :rolleyes:

yeah, I remember smuggling the fireworks back from France at that age too but then my neighbour started a raging fire when a rocket landed in his coal bunker so we were monitored pretty carefully after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Get mine in the north every halloween

thing i dont understand, Why cant we at least adopt UK laws on them

LIke fireworks should be a part of most celebrations, like why are they legal in the UK across the water yet were treated like kids and told you cant handle them:eek:

I always thought it was to stop the IRA stockpiling gunpowder, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Menas wrote: »

Funnelly enough that year coincides with when fireworks were banned here!

I seem to remember a fire in a Dublin fireworks warehouse on the Quays which resulted in the death of one or two people + the outbreak of the Troubles up North, both contributing for their 'official' demise in the ROI from the late 60s onwards....

Blackmarket Fireworks in Dublin's Moore Street have been available ever since,(at extortionate prices) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you want to stockpile fireworks just drive literally (and I mean literally) a couple of hundred metres over the boarder in to northern Ireland on the old road to Newry and there's a huge warehouse selling them and they accept euros

Of course to be within the confines of the law you have to discharge them all before coming back down across the boarder.

I don't want to break any laws :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

If I had as many problems with a country that you have I wouldn't live in it. Any chance of something positive for your next thread? New year new you ��

Advertisement