Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe humans have a sixth sense?

• 29-12-2015 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

..or an extrasensory perception?

Last night I fell asleep watching Lemmy around 4am. During that time I had a dream about a boardsie playing on top of a castle with a little boy and throwing a little ball to him. One of them was clearly about to die and so I screamed at them.. I then woke up in a panic (around 10:30am). I opened my laptop and only one user had quoted me all night, them! This user has never quoted me before and this was there first post on that thread. It's clearly a sign!

Not sure of what though.

Do you believes humans have a sixth sense? If so, why? And if not, why not?

Also, have you had any experiences which you felt could only be explained as extrasensory perception?

Do you believe humans have a sixth sense? 121 votes

Yes I do..
    0%
    No I don't..
    52%
    MerrionSkerriesPherekydesmoneymadrecipioLordSutchNapoleonInRagsRaminahobbinshockwavethee glitzdooloxDemostheneseTigerbabyL1m1tlessislanderrecml387thattequilagirlMick55evosteocharlietheminxx 63 votes
    Not sure, perhaps, maybe, possible I suppose, undecided I guess..
    47%
    ZascarSpearCalibosixoyZaphLia_liaCanis LupussmokingmanMickerooshamrock2004LirangeAndrewf20ytpe2r5bxkn0c1MenaM5artanevillaAtomicHorrorTiGeR KiNgSjiltloopMuppet Man 58 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

No I don't..
    Do you believes humans have a sixth sense? If so, why and if not, why not?
    Yes, I think I have a sense of 9

why? Just because I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

No I don't..
    Yes, I think there is something in a sixth sense that we don't fully understand. I think all of us are familiar with the scenario of thinking about a person we haven't seen in a long time and then seeing them soon after.

Rupert Sheldrakes experiments on telepathy are interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

No I don't..
    Yes, I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

..or an extrasensory perception?

Last night I fell asleep watching Lemmy around 4am. During that time I had a dream about a boardsie playing on top of a castle with a little boy and throwing a little ball to him. One of them was clearly about to die and so I screamed at them.. I then woke up in a panic (around 10:30am). I opened my laptop and only one user had quoted me all night, them! This user has never quoted me before and this was there first post on that thread. It's clearly a sign!

Not sure of what though.

Do you believes humans have a sixth sense? If so, why and if not, why not?

Dreams work by allow the subconsious a little bit of ball room during the night, and, because you're asslep, you don't notice it not being real and so you dream it.

At some point in the last few days or so, you probably absently saw the name and while the subconcious made a note of it, you didn't notice it happening. Then it kinda menifested in the dream.

Science. No sign, sorry!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Jesus. Not another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No, it's bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

No I don't..
    Fleawuss wrote: »
    Jesus. Not another one.

I don't know how many senses Jesus had, but if this is another one has has one extra now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

I believe a lot of people have a sixth sense - "fckin stupidity"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

smokingman wrote: »

aka "common sense"..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

uh huh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

No I don't..
    Dreams work by allow the subconsious a little bit of ball room during the night, and, because you're asslep, you don't notice it not being real and so you dream it.

At some point in the last few days or so, you probably absently saw the name and while the subconcious made a note of it, you didn't notice it happening. Then it kinda menifested in the dream.

Science. No sign, sorry!

Ah, the usual shoehorning of 'science'. Quite the fashion these days. It's more popular than chocolate.

First of all. I never dream of users from Boards and had they not quoted me also, I might buy your explanation, as that would make sense. But to dream of someone that has never quoted me before, pretty much while they are quoting me.. is quite strange. The probability of that is huge. My laptop was closed also before someone says maybe I was sleepbrowsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

No I don't..
    Yesterday for no reason at all the former Newcastle goalie Pavel Srnicek came into my mind - although it took me a while to recall his name. I didn't even realise he was ill until I found out that he died today.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

No I don't..
    Those who are quickly dismissive/closed minded or go to science our saviour for all should have an open minded look at the work of Rupert Sheldrake.

aka "common sense"..?

Nope, gullible post-event projection of personal, biased significance in the hope that they're somehow, not really responsible for their own lives and in search of something external that they can blame all their own problems on...
    ...in a nutshell..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I know that we have a lot more than five senses:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/07/humans-have-a-lot-more-than-five-senses/

My favourite is proprioception, the ability to sense where your body parts are relative to your other body parts.

I don't believe in extrasensory perception. What people think of as ESP is usually just coincidence or subconscious.

And we have an exaggerated sense of how rare certain events are and thus get the impression that things are more unusual than they are.
    For example, you'll experience a one-in-a-million event about once a month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood%27s_law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yes, I think there is something in a sixth sense that we don't fully understand. I think all of us are familiar with the scenario of thinking about a person we haven't seen in a long time and then seeing them soon after.

Rupert Sheldrakes experiments on telepathy are interesting.

Yeah but for every one time that happens, there's probably fifty instances of thinking of someone and then...nothing. But you don't remember those ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No.. plenty can't use the few they have !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a dream over 14 years ago and these strange planes killed me in a missile strike. Then when I saw the drones in later years I realised I had dreamed about drones before I knew what drones were.
    I am not saying it is a sixth sense, if it is a sixth sense the dream says I will be killed before I can come onto boards and say 'yeah it is real'...but at least death was quick...
    The world can be strange, I don't know is the answer.

No I don't..
    smokingman wrote: »

Some might say suggesting stupidity is a human sense is.. stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I was just thinking this thread wasn't done in a while.

• Advertisement

Some might say suggesting stupidity is a human sense is.. stupid.

Well, you've convinced me...I'm off to buy some healing crystals and magic beans so.
    :D

Ah, the usual shoehorning of 'science'. Quite the fashion these days. It's more popular than chocolate.

First of all. I never dream of users from Boards and had they not quoted me also, I might buy your explanation, as that would make sense. But to dream of someone that has never quoted me before, pretty much while they are quoting me.. is quite strange. The probability of that is huge. My laptop was closed also before someone says maybe I was sleepbrowsing.

That is pretty much a scentific explanation of what dreaming is. I never said you had to quote them or even notice them. Exactly the opposite. You mind noticies a lot of thigns every day that you don't.

Furthermore, if you want a balanced discussion on a topic such as ESP, you kind of have to include sceince - there's no shoehorning about it. If you don't want a balanced discussion fine - just say so and I'll unsubscribe from the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

A few strange things have happened before alright but I usually just explain them away.

Anyway, is instinct/intuition a sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We only use a small amount of our brains true power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Any chance you woke up during the night and in your half sleepy state read through a thread about Lemmy dying?

No I don't..
    Anyway, is instinct/intuition a sense?

Sometimes I hear people say I got a sense something was up, but it was really just an educated guess based on similar experiences. Like this twit tried to mug me a few months back and got a 'sense' he was going to but really it was just an educated guess based on his behavior as he changed the side of the road he was walking on and was glancing around shifty like. Didn't take Nostradamus to think he was up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

One time I was watching an episode of The Crystal Maze on a Sunday Morning, badly hungover and this "high on life" kind of guy was annoying me so much I turned around to the wife and jokingly said "With any luck he's dead by now"
    The credits at the end said in memory of...
    Rewound it to get his name and sure enough it was him :eek:

No I don't..
    Any chance you woke up during the night and in your half sleepy state read through a thread about Lemmy dying?

I posted in that thread around 2am. Google'd the docu and fell asleep watching it. Woke up at 10:30am'ish and they had quoted me around 9am'ish.

So, not a chance I had seen it. Was ESP I tells ya!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If heartburn and indigestion is a sense, I must be a superhuman;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Sometimes I hear people say I got a sense something was up, but it was really just an educated guess based on similar experiences. Like this twit tried to mug me a few months back and got a 'sense' he was going to but really it was just an educated guess based on his behavior as he changed the side of the road he was walking on and was glancing around shifty like. Didn't take Nostradamus to think he was up to no good.

Yea I guess. A mixture of subtle things you are subconsciously and consciously aware of like body language, tone, language, facial expressions etc. Some people are more aware and have better intuition than others I suppose.

You know how they say that dogs sense fear. Maybe intuition is kind of like that.

We only use a small amount of our brains true power

That's an urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I don't believe in humans having a sixth sense. I've also never had anything unexplained or supernatural happen to me and I don't believe in that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No, i think it's extension of the pattern seeking nature of our brains. The idea of a sixth sense is a sort of byproduct of being a highly intelligent, sentient ape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

yeah the odds are tiny but think of it this way, there are over a billion people in china, 1 in a million occurrences happen over a thousand times a day, you can't take an extra ordinary event and say proof of the the extra ordinary,

imagine I walked up to you in the street and said think of any card in a normal deck and then I blurted out three of clubs, and it was your card , if you hadnt seen the other 51 times I got it wrong you'd be amazed, :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

We have crap loads more than six..... Close your eyes hold your hand out then grab it with your other hand. Whats that sense called. What sense tells you the wind is blowing. How can you feel Radiation from the sun...

• Advertisement

No I don't..
    That is pretty much a scentific explanation of what dreaming is. I never said you had to quote them or even notice them. Exactly the opposite. You mind noticies a lot of thigns every day that you don't.

Furthermore, if you want a balanced discussion on a topic such as ESP, you kind of have to include sceince - there's no shoehorning about it. If you don't want a balanced discussion fine - just say so and I'll unsubscribe from the thread.

You misunderstand me. I appreciate that our minds are sponges. We all know that we dream of people we see or are aware of from a day to day lives. You don't have to cite science to talk about the bleedin obvious. That's why I called it shoehorning. It's like citing science when explaining to someone what they need to do in order to make a great cup of tea.

There must be and hundreds upon hundreds of Boards users that I am aware of. Why would I dream of one which I have little or no contact with, that rarely posts on AH and who also just happens to have been the only user to quote me while I was asleep in that time? I'm not saying in absolutely was sixth sense. Most likely was just a mad coincidence. Happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

We have up to thirty senses.

For six sense to work we would need some organ to store energy for it to use, I would say it would take a large amount of energy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

There must be and hundreds upon hundreds of Boards users that I am aware of. Why would I dream of one which I have little or no contact with, that rarely posts on AH and who also just happens to have been the only user to quote me while I was asleep in that time? I'm not saying in absolutely was sixth sense. Most likely was just a mad coincidence. Happens.

I think that's the most likely answer. The only reason why you remembered that particular dream is because of the coincidence that followed it. You could have been dreaming about loads of boardsies in the past, but because there wasn't a coincidence to follow them, you just don't remember them.

Kinda like all that thinking about somebody and then they call. You could be thinking of different people and there's no phone call, and you never connect the two. Then, when it happens, you make a connection because of the coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No I don't..
    Dreams work by allow the subconsious a little bit of ball room during the night,

:P

Pretty Sure That's what is called " A Nocturnal Emission " or you were watching to much Strictly ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

A few times I've had a sense of foreboding and something as happened. Then I immediately do the 'I knew it!' thing.

Of course plenty of other times I've a sense of foreboding, nothing happens, and I put it out of my mind.

Coincidence, selective remembering, and wanting to believe in something special about ourselves is the most likely answer. Truth is we're mostly boring and this stuff happens everyone, some just read more into it than others.

Candie wrote: »
    A few times I've had a sense of foreboding and something as happened. Then I immediately do the 'I knew it!' thing.

Of course plenty of other times I've a sense of foreboding, nothing happens, and I put it out of my mind.

Coincidence, selective remembering, and wanting to believe in something special about ourselves is the most likely answer. Truth is we're mostly boring and this stuff happens everyone, some just read more into it than others.

They reckon stuff like that is from hunter gather days our subconscious brain picking up on danger singes we are unaware of while focused on a task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Those who are quickly dismissive/closed minded or go to science our saviour for all should have an open minded look at the work of Rupert Sheldrake.

By open minded do you mean not requiring any evidence for the existence of telepathy?

You misunderstand me. I appreciate that our minds are sponges. We all know that we dream of people we see or are aware of from a day to day lives. You don't have to cite science to talk about the bleedin obvious. That's why I called it shoehorning. It's like citing science when explaining to someone what they need to do in order to make a great cup of tea.

That was my initial point - coincidence. I don't necessarily disbelieve in ESP, just not in Thurs case.

No I don't..
    I think that's the most likely answer. The only reason why you remembered that particular dream is because of the coincidence that followed it. You could have been dreaming about loads of boardsies in the past, but because there wasn't a coincidence to follow them, you just don't remember them.

Kinda like all that thinking about somebody and then they call. You could be thinking of different people and there's no phone call, and you never connect the two. Then, when it happens, you make a connection because of the coincidence.

Absolutel but I have already said that if I had a dream of any old boards user that would hardly be strange given that I was on boards posting before I slept. People naturally dream about things they were doing throughout their day. Would be weird not to. But again, Boards is full of users and to dream about the only one to have quoted me while I slept (and who has never quoted me before) is weird. Just like it's weird to pick six numbers in the lottery and have them all come out. Only I have no monetary gain to show for my low probability coincidence. Just loads of people laughing at me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

No I don't..
    I prefer to call it gut instinct and Im a firm believer in it,rarely fails for me(unfortunately in some instances).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

You do have six senses.

touch, smell, taste, hearing, seeing - with these you can experience both positive and negative things. The smell of a rose, a high pitched grating sound etc.

mind - you can experience both positive and negative sensations.

It can even have tangible consequences. Imagine munching a nice raw lemon - if you did then your saliva production just increased.
    Suggestion can do some freaky things.

No I don't..
    Candie wrote: »

The only one of the above that could apply in my case is Coincidence and if that's the case, which I am willing to accept it is, then it's a big one. Selective memory couldn't come into it as the post from the user was at 9am and at the latest it was like 5am when I fell asleep. The projector lamp was still on when I woke just after 10am and so it wouldn't have been possible for me to have been back online after 5am in that case as I need to disconnect the projector from my laptop in order to get back online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How do you think you walk without falling over all the time?

Humans have way more than 6 senses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Humans have way more than 6 senses OP. :confused:

Off the top of my head:
    1. Sight
    2. Hearing
    3. Taste
    4. Touch
    5. Smell
    6. Pain
    7. Temperature
    8. Hunger
    9. Balance
    10. We can also sense carbon dioxide levels, but I'm not sure what that's called (triggers the feeling of suffocation)
    11. Etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement