Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe humans have a sixth sense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Asmooh wrote: »
    I don't know how many senses Jesus had, but if this is another one has has one extra now.

He did much better: he had two complete natures fully human and fully divine in a special Union. That is if you believe that stuff.

My sixth sense is telling me that there will be no end to the indirect proselytization in loony threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

No I don't..
    Liam O wrote: »
    Humans have way more than 6 senses.
    Humans have way more than 6 senses OP. :confused:

Sixth sense is just an expression folks. It's an idiom. Doesn't make an diffrence if we have a thousand senses.

Saying 6th sense refers to something quite specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

No I don't..
    A recent example,I sold something online to a woman but couldnt meet up with her due to work ect, so passed on my daughters phone num. for collection. The womans husband collected it but there was never anything mentioned about it(between me and my daughter) .Anyway a few days later my daughter was going to the doctor and she texted me in work just saying "Guess what".I immediately knew she was going to tell me that yer man was also at the docs.

I know this sounds lame but it still kind of freaks me out when things like that happen and involves someone Ive never even met.BTW the fact that she actually gave me the money from the sale actually went against my gut instinct.:pac:

Not sure, perhaps, maybe, possible I suppose, undecided I guess..
    The only one of the above that could apply in my case is Coincidence and if that's the case, which I am willing to accept it is, then it's a big one. Selective memory couldn't come into it as the post from the user was at 9am and at the latest it was like 5am when I fell asleep. The projector lamp was still on when I woke just after 10am and so it wouldn't have been possible for me to have been back online after 5am in that case as I need to disconnect the projector from my laptop in order to get back online.

I wasn't talking about your experience in particular; rather the general subject of sixth sense type occurrences.

I think you're right about your case, it's coincidence. A slightly more remarkable coincidence than most, but still coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

The only one of the above that could apply in my case is Coincidence and if that's the case, which I am willing to accept it is, then it's a big one. Selective memory couldn't come into it as the post from the user was at 9am and at the latest it was like 5am when I fell asleep. The projector lamp was still on when I woke just after 10am and so it wouldn't have been possible for me to have been back online after 5am in that case as I need to disconnect the projector from my laptop in order to get back online.

I think selective remembering comes in to it as well, or at least subconscious memory, if you know what I mean. You could be dreaming about loads of boardies, and you don't get quoted by them, so you just forget about those dreams.

And then, as you say, huge coincidence.

No I don't..
    I think selective remembering comes in to it as well, or at least subconscious memory, if you know what I mean. You could be dreaming about loads of boardies, and you don't get quoted by them, so you just forget about those dreams.

It's rare I would be so freaked by a dream I would be woken by it though and so I highly doubt I have had similar dreams about anyone, much less a boardsie, and forgotten about them.

I think I posted about this before on Boards but many years ago I heard a radio report about a man's body being found in a field and I had a sick feeling come over me that it was one of my best friends, to the point where I started crying and hoping that it wasn't. This had never happened to me before and was a totally irrational reaction considering the location where the body was found was nowhere near where he lived or would ever be. The was nothing whatsoever to make me thing it was him. The following morning the person's name was announced and it was indeed my friend. We hadn't spoken in a few weeks and the last time I seen him (we went for a drink in Dicey's beer garden after meeting in Phibsboro) they didn't give me any reason to think that they were in trouble of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There's probably a word for it....but afaik the feeling of being watched/someone watching you...should count as a sense as it's usually correct (and horrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Bruce willis was dead all along.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What oftens gets me is waking up a few seconds before my phone rings, always feels like I sensed it, especially since it's rare anyone rings me :D

• Advertisement

No I don't..
    There's probably a word for it....but afaik the feeling of being watched/someone watching you...should count as a sense as it's usually correct (and horrible)

I remember this being discussed before and people said that you probably have that feeling many times when people aren't looking at you but you forget about those times, only remembering when you're right. Personally I just think that's an easy way to dismiss the phenomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

No I don't..
    I remember this being discussed before and people said that you probably have that feeling many times when people aren't looking at you but you forget about those times, only remembering when you're right. Personally I just think that's an easy way to dismiss the phenomena.

I also agree it's just an easy way to dismiss it. I remember reading that in certain security training they should avoid directly staring at an individual's back when tracking them to avoid giving them the sense of being follwed.

No I don't..
    I also agree it's just an easy way to dismiss it. I remember reading that in certain security training that when they are tracking sone body they are instructed not to stare at the persons back as it may give them a sense that they are being follwed.

It's like when you can just tell someone is looking over your shoulder at you texting or when you're reading a newspaper. You can't physically see them do it, or hear them but it's a vibe you get. Not something you can really put into words. Say this to people and they immediately have you down as someone who believes in homeopathy and star signs. Such a Capricorn thing to do.

No I don't..
    It's like when you can just tell someone is looking over your shoulder at you texting or when you're reading a newspaper. You can't physically see them do it, or hear them but it's a vibe you get. Not something you can really put into words. Say this to people and they immediately have you down as someone who believes in homeopathy and star signs. Such a Capricorn thing to do.

Yep, I think there is something to it and have enjoyed Rupert Sheldrakes inquiry into these sort of phenomena. I know I've mentioned him a few times at this stage but he's a good guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You seem to want to believe in fairy tales.

There's one scientific reason you might notice people staring at you. Your peripheral vision records more info than the brain displays. In particular quick movement just behind your 180 deg. vision can be sensed, as well as movement that stops. Someone turning to stare at you or stopping to.

No I don't..
    You seem to want to believe in fairy tales.

There's one scientific reason you might notice people staring at you. Your peripheral vision records more info than the brain displays. In particular quick movement just behind your 180 deg. vision can be sensed, as well as movement that stops. Someone turning to stare at you or stopping to.

Maybe you should read people's posts more thoroughly. I was specifically talking about situations where you can't physically see them and so no fairy tale beliefs needed.

It's also interesting that the overwhelming majority of people that posted on the thread so far seem to dismiss the notion of humans having a sixth sense but yet over 60% of the people who voted definitively in the poll think the opposite.

Just shows you how taboo it is to admit to such beliefs today. The social narrative is controlled in a way.

If I'd made the poll anonymous it could possibly have been an even higher number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe you should read people's posts more thoroughly. I was specifically talking about situations where you can't physically see them.

It's also interesting that the overwhelming majority of people that posted on the thread so far seem to dismiss the notion of humans having a sixth sense but yet over 60% of the people who voted definitively in the poll think the opposite.

Just shows you how taboo it is to admit to such beliefs today. The social narrative is controlled in a way.

If I'd made the poll anonymous it could possibly have been an even bigger number.
    The e is nowhere near enough researched about human mind. I think it is quite possible that something we class as sixth sense exist but there is perfectly logical biological/psychological explanation for it.

No I don't..
    meeeeh wrote: »
    The e is nowhere near enough researched about human mind. I think it is quite possible that something we class as sixth sense exist but there is perfectly logical biological/psychological explanation for it.

I absolutely think that there is a biological/psychological explanation for the vast majority of what people would suggest were examples of esp / premonitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Couldn't what's called the sixth sense just be all the other senses combined.

senses can influence eachother, I think wearing shades increasing hearing etc so combined senses could be studied as an experience the same way individual senses are.

No mystery, just science waiting to be unfolded.

catbear wrote: »
    Couldn't what's called the sixth sense just be all the other senses combined.

senses can influence eachother, I think wearing shades increasing hearing etc so combined senses could be studied as an experience the same way individual senses are.

It could. Lighting fire used to be gift from the gods until we learned how to make fire, we also had to understand how lightning works. Brain is a part of human body which is still far from understood. There is no magic sense, but there is a chance our senses act or indeed combine in way we don't yet understand.

Maybe you should read people's posts more thoroughly. I was specifically talking about situations where you can't physically see them and so no fairy tale beliefs needed.

So was I. Maybe you should read my post again.

it is also interesting that the overwhelming majority of people that posted on the thread so far seem to dismiss the notion of humans having a sixth sense but yet over 60% of the people who voted definitively in the poll think the opposite.

If I'd made the poll anonymous it could possibly have been an even higher number.

Or the people who are pro "6th sense" can't reasonably articulate their position.

The problem with 6th sensers is you don't want an explanation. You just want magic. So scientific explanations or probabilistic/ statistical answers don't impres you – you just want to believe in something that can't and shouldn't be explained.

You had a dream about a boardsie. He replied to a post. Magic. That's it. The people debunking the "magic" idea (what you call a 6th sense) are actually trying to give explanations. It's not actually a debunking.

For instance I agree that we can tell if someone is staring at us from behind our back and I have a scientific explanation for that - we pick up environmental signals from movement or lack of it behind us from our extra-peripheral vision, and are aware of changes in air pressure and sound etc. No magic required.

Other people have explained why you remember your dream about the boards members. You dream lots of dreams, most you will forget a few moments after waking up, some will have coincidences ( And someone pointed out that whey we think are rare low probability events are more common than we think), and some of those dreams with similarities to real life will be remembered. Precisely because they have those points of commonality.

What other solution is there? Your mind can read the future and uses it to obliquely tell you what boards member is going to reply to you at 9am?

• Advertisement

No I don't..
    catbear wrote: »
    No mystery, just science waiting to be unfolded.

What are you on about? Something happening is just science waiting to be unfolded? Good grief. When will this science sycophancy end. Don't you people realise that science is just a tool?

I was walking past three lads the other night who were starring at the night sky and they were marveling at how bright the stars were and the last thing I heard one of them say was "Oh I love Science, look at the amount of stars" as if Science is what gave them to us, rather than was just something which we use to study them. A bloody tool that lets us test explanations and theories. It's happening more and more in films lately too. It won't be long before people start getting the word Science tattoo'd on them, enveloped by a love heart.

Not that I don't appreciate all that has been garnered via scientific methods. I do of course.

But I also appreciate big boobs, doesn't mean I'm gonna get obsessed with measuring tapes though.

No I don't..
    Science is a method of inquiry that has become a religion

What are you on about? Something happening is just science waiting to be unfolded? Good grief. When will this science sycophancy end. Don't you people realise that science is just a tool?

I was walking past three lads the other night who were starring at the night sky and they were marveling at how bright the stars were and the last thing I heard one of them say was "Oh I love Science, look at the amount of stars" as if Science is what gave them to us, rather than was just something which we use to study them. A bloody tool that lets us test explanations and theories. It's happening more and more in films lately too. It won't be long before people start getting the word Science tattoo'd on them, enveloped by a love heart.

Not that I don't appreciate all that has been garnered via scientific methods. I do of course.

But I also appreciate big boobs, doesn't mean I'm gonna get obsessed with measuring tapes though.
    People are stating their preference for exploring their existence through science over past methods.

You might like tits but you don't have to be one.

something unexplained needs an reasonable explanation.

As I said you don't want explanations. You get angry with explanations. It's just magic.

• Knowing what was going to happen before it happen save my life, not going to go into detail about it but just to say the sixth sense does come in handy every now and then, its like a split second decision where you remember something that show you a moment you're just about to enter into, not really sure if that is the best way to describe it but thats close to the way it happen on that particular moment for me, although i suppose many would say most people would get that feeling due to fear but this split second decision wasn't base on fear it was base on a warning sign i had a few hours earlier, which thankfully i remembered, common sense really.

So yeah i believe.

If I had a magic brain that magically told the future with its magic dreaming I too would get pissed if all my magic brain could tell was who was going to reply to me on boards rather than the euro millions.

This might explain the OP's upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I suppose what they're trying to convey is "I love that I know what stars are and thus can marvel at the vastness of the universe and comprehend how it came to be. I'm overcome with a sense of wonder when I gaze into the abyss and consider all the myriad worlds that must revolve around these distant pinpricks of light, all the many vistas that I will never get to see, the innumerable events that have unfolded both here and out there across the aeons to take us to this moment. It provokes in me a feeling of profound insignificance, whilst simultaneously thrusting on me an appreciation that I am a part of something immeasurably awesome."

But it's easier to just say "I love science" and sounds less gay.

I suppose what they're trying to convey is "I love that I know what stars are and thus can marvel at the vastness of the universe and comprehend how it came to be. I'm overcome with a sense of wonder when I gaze into the abyss and consider all the myriad worlds that must revolve around these distant pinpricks of light, all the many vistas that I will never get to see, the innumerable events that have unfolded both here and out there across the aeons to take us to this moment. It provokes in me a feeling of profound insignificance, whilst simultaneously thrusting on me an appreciation that I am a part of something immeasurably awesome."

But it's easier to just say "I love science" and sounds less gay.

True. Until I learned what stars were they were just pretty dots in the sky. When I learned what they were the stars, the planets and the smudge that is the Milky Way became much more beautiful, imposing and awesome.

That's the kind of mystery that science brings to society. It's often accused of removing mystery, however.

It is mindblowing to look up at two stars that seem to be near eachother could actually be as far apart as the nearest one is to us.

I always feel calm when overpowered by my enormities of space or when I'm in a well stock bookshop with loads of back editions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As Sherlock Holmes once put it,

"No ghosts need apply"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Do I believe Humans have a sixth sense? Yes, I do. Balance, the ability to differentiate between hot and cold, pain, hunger... We have lots of senses.

Do I believe we're psychic? No, because it isn't demonstrable, it's not quantifiable, and always come in the form of confirmation biased "well I know a guy whose cousin dreamt of her own death" nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Do I believe Humans have a sixth sense? Yes, I do. Balance, the ability to differentiate between hot and cold, pain, hunger... We have lots of senses.

Do I believe we're psychic? No, because it isn't demonstrable, it's not quantifiable, and always come in the form of confirmation biased "well I know a guy whose cousin dreamt of her own death" nonsense.

I knew you were going to post that before you posted it. I used my sixth sense. My sense of pre-post-I-know-what-they'll-post-ery. *

*may not be true.

• Do I believe Humans have a sixth sense? Yes, I do. Balance, the ability to differentiate between hot and cold, pain, hunger... We have lots of senses.

Call it what you want believe what you want but unless you haven't experienced it then naturally you have that right to dismiss and believe what you want.

I think :confused:

Yup that's basically it.

Anyway this whole science thing is entertaining. I'm not knocking it but I have only interest in fluffier parts. I find things like how human mind operates or how society functions incredibly interesting but a car engine just has to start. For what I care there could be little elves peddling under the bonnet of my car and as long as they keep doing it, I don't care.

It's easy to spot Google experts (science lovers). I remember someone starting to explain to me what Oedipus complex at a party. Firstly who doesn't know what Oedipus complex is and secondly I read the fecken play from which the term originates. I think it's great if people are interested into different things but I prefer to get some decent gossip when out than listening to someone trying very hard to impress others with their knowledge of, I don know, incest. It's a lot more fun when people are their own dumb selves and just stick to things that actually interest them.

Call it what you want believe what you want but unless you haven't experienced it then naturally you have that right to dismiss and believe what you want.

I think :confused:

I think that prehistoric people who experienced lightning also thought there is this magic higher force in nature. Now we know it's called electricity. What we experience is completely subjective and unreliable. The question is if and how can it be explained.

• meeeeh wrote: »
    I think that prehistoric people who experienced lightning also thought there is this magic higher force in nature. Now we know it's called electricity. What we experience is completely subjective and unreliable. The question is if and how can it be explained.

True very true but not everyone discovered electricity until it could be explained and proving to be beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

No I don't..
    I'm not sure if I'd call it a sixth sense as such, but I do believe we have the ability to perceive things on levels we don't fully (or in some cases partially) understand yet.

I once heard Russell Brand explain it like this - human beings are only able to hear sound within a certain range (dogs can hear higher sounds than us), and we are only able to perceive light in relation to a certain amount of colours, whereas there is a type of fish that can see hundreds of colours. But the fact that we can't currently perceive those sounds or colours doesn't mean they don't exist. Our perception of what reality is is extremely limited.

I've taken acid in my younger days and remember all sense of perception being bent and twisted in different, magical ways. So I think humans have different senses, we just haven't unlocked them - but some are closer than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

No it's total and utter bollocks, and anyone who believes in it does so based on nothing - and just wants to to make them feel better or hear what they want ..

• No it's total and utter bollocks, and anyone who believes in it does so based on nothing - and just wants to to make them feel better or hear what they want ..

Yeah true but as i said it does come in handy, oh really no reality ;)

• Advertisement

No I don't..
    No it's total and utter bollocks, and anyone who believes in it does so based on nothing - and just wants to to make them feel better or hear what they want ..

How are you so sure? There are so many gaps in what science can explain.

• How are you so sure? There are so many gaps in what science can explain.

He not and science as far as i know came from thoughts of unexplained.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

I think the word coincidence wipes out a lot of these arguments.

No I don't..
    m1ck007 wrote: »
    I think the word coincidence wipes out a lot of these arguments.

Sure, but at times two things coinciding is so unlikely, such an incredibly small chance (this doesn't really apply to the OP) that it seems like something more is at play.

No I don't..
    He not and science as far as i know came from thoughts of unexplained.

Absolutely - I'm open to either possibility, that we have or don't have these senses, although I lean toward thinking we have. I just think it's arrogant of someone to call it "total and utter bollocks".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some humans have a sense of decorum others a sense of propriety.

In reality humans have many more senses than the traditional five. We sense heat flow rather than absolute temperature. Our semicircular canals sense acceleration and orientation.

other animals have other senses with vestigial remains in humans perhaps in time they may be proven in us too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

God is a gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

No I don't..
    On Monday, I found out my Nana died. I was abroad and missed the funeral. The song "In the arms of the angel" from Sarah Maclachlan came into my head sometime that day. On Friday I found out that song was played at the funeral.

Don't know about 6th sense but weird stuff like that happens every now and again.

• Absolutely - I'm open to either possibility, that we have or don't have these senses, although I lean toward thinking we have. I just think it's arrogant of someone to call it "total and utter bollocks".

Science is a reason of thought that brings in all past future and present and "total and utter bollocks" to give the sixth sense a reason why.

Which came first science or sixth sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Science is a reason of thought that brings in all past future and present and "total and utter bollocks" to give the sixth sense a reason why.

Which came first science or sixth sense.

Maybe aliens came first and created them both at the same time???

• Maybe aliens came first and created them both at the same time???

"total and utter bollocks" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement