Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a pet to the management company?

Options
  • 29-12-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I'm living in an apartment block where pets are strictly forbidden. However I have seen a handful of dogs been sneaked into the complex and sneaked out.

Personally, I don't mind this. I rather live next to owners with a dog than druggies for example. But my housemate thinks that reporting this to the management company is the right thing to do.

I used to have a dog in an apartment that I used to live in. And it was very difficult having to sneak the dog in and out and apartments are simply not meant for pets. I would never to that again.

What would you do? Leave things as they are as they are not directly affecting me or report it as we should all obey the management company rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

If they are not bothering anyone why report them? It is bad enough to rent or even buy in Ireland with a pet. If it were me and there were no issues I would leave it alone. No need to "break up" an owner from a pet!

Why would you bother reporting them if they're not doing any harm or hassling anyone?

What's the best case scenario for you here?

I can think of a few worst cases scenarios, like the neighbours moving and loud or annoying neighbours replacing them. Or the neighbours that have the dogs, twigging it was you that reported them and turning malicious, etc.

Unless you have an actual issue, I'd not bother getting involved. Let everyone else sort out their own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't do it unless the animal was annoying me. But I certainly wouldn't judge anyone who would report a neighbour who had a pet they weren't supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I would. The people are intentionally breaking the rules of the agreement they entered into when choosing to live there, and there are probably people in the complex who chose to live there because of the no pets rule, so others breaking it is unfair to those people. It's also unfair to the many rule-abiding residents who would like to have a pet and refrain because it's against the agreement they made.

I believe there are also issues of liability for the management company if something happens with one of the animals (though I am neither a solicitor or an insurance expert, so I'm not 100% on that).

If you can't hack the rules imposed on you by living in a particular place, don't live there. I live in an apartment, and consequently I'm not allowed a pet, loud music late at night, or a satellite dish. Annoying as those are to me, I knew they were the rules before I moved in, and I said yes to those rules, so I follow them. I expect everyone else who said yes to those rules to follow them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would report it, chances are if the house rules say no pets, its for a reason (lack of green space etc..) eventually these pets will wake someone up with barking , and its also unfair to anyone that may have allergies to have to walk through the communal areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

If its not bothering you don't bother reporting it. Whats to gain from being a tell tale? Pet owners do have an awful time in the rental market as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

As long as they are not bothering you why report them. a lot of people rely on a pet for company. Also a lot of the rules are there only for the event that pets cause a nuisance.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    If its not bothering you don't bother reporting it. Whats to gain from being a tell tale? Pet owners do have an awful time in the rental market as it is.

While I would probably not report it unless there was a nuisance from a pet nobody forced them to get pets, they aren't a necessity and they will probably get found out at some stage. Anyone who doesn't own their own home is a fool to get a pet imo.

While I would probably not report it unless there was a nuisance from a pet nobody forced them to get pets, they aren't a necessity and they will probably get found out at some stage. Anyone who doesn't own their own home is a fool to get a pet imo.

Many circumstances why people may have pets. Could be inherited, rescued... Perhaps their last rental allowed pets but they were priced out of it by increasing rent and forced to move. What are they supposed to do with the pet in that case? Give it away? As another poster said pets are companions and support structures for many people. The attitude of many landlords towards pets in this country is bizarre tbh, no where near as hard in many other countries.

Many circumstances why people may have pets. Could be inherited, rescued... Perhaps their last rental allowed pets but they were priced out of it by increasing rent and forced to move. What are they supposed to do with the pet in that case? Give it away? As another poster said pets are companions and support structures for many people. The attitude of many landlords towards pets in this country is bizarre tbh, no where near as hard in many other countries.

but the risk of having to move elsewhere is always present with rental properties, if anyone is offered a pet under any circumstance they should consider this before taking it. Finding rental accommodation that takes pets is hard, and unless you're also in the process of exchanging contracts for your new owned house while getting the pet , it has to be advised against.

We have stories here every day of how single professionals struggle to get accommodation , even when rental properties were 10 a penny you struggled to find ones that took pets. Looking after an animal is very admirable and a lot of people get joys out of having pets, but its just putting yourself and the animal in such a tough situation by getting one while in rented accommodation.

• Advertisement

The attitude of many landlords towards pets in this country is bizarre tbh, no where near as hard in many other countries.

Landlords of apartment rentals may not have a choice. Many apartment complexes have a no-pet rule, and landlords are obliged to ensure their tenants follow the complex/building rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

So what? Owning a pet is not an inalienable right. If you want a pet, then buy a house. If that's not possible, too bad.

As a homeowner with two dogs, having them in an apartment would be a nightmare

No reason whatsoever to report this if its not causing you an issue.

Pets aren't an inalienable right or anything, but if the neighbours you have aren't bothering you then dear God don't rock the boat, you're in an enviable position imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    I'm living in an apartment block where pets are strictly forbidden. However I have seen a handful of dogs been sneaked into the complex and sneaked out.

Personally, I don't mind this. I rather live next to owners with a dog than druggies for example. But my housemate thinks that reporting this to the management company is the right thing to do.

I used to have a dog in an apartment that I used to live in. And it was very difficult having to sneak the dog in and out and apartments are simply not meant for pets. I would never to that again.

What would you do? Leave things as they are as they are not directly affecting me or report it as we should all obey the management company rules?

How will you feel if the pets end up being put down because you report them? Tell your house mate to get a life, from me ��

To those who say "If it's not causing a problem for you, don't report it", you might want to consider that flagrant rule-breaking in a complex is likely to lead to the general decline of a complex. If one person breaks the rules by getting a dog and nothing's done about it, then other people will assume they can do the same, or start having late-night parties, or hanging their washing out the windows, or whatever else is against the complex rules. If rules aren't enforced consistently for all, they will be broken more readily by all.

That means that landlords will struggle to secure rule-abiding tenants (do you want to live next-door to someone who throws weekly parties and has four dogs when you aren't prepared to jeopardize your lease agreement to take in a pet, and like to get sleep before work?), and will have to settle for whomever they can get. Again, this will contribute to an overall decline in the character of the complex and the living environment in general.

If you're a short-term renter, you may not care about this, but if you're a homeowner or you intend to rent there long-term, you may feel differently. Once the management company loses its ability to enforce the rules in a complex, it's likely to become a very different place to live very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dog barking or owner letting it defecate in the common areas - yes
    Pretty much all other scenarios - no

How will you feel if the pets end up being put down because you report them? Tell your house mate to get a life, from me ��
    Should have know better than to put my head above the parapet in the Landlord Forum. No one said anything about inalienable rights, nice hyperbole though to try and diminish my point and enhance your own. Another thing, presented a list of very valid reasons as to why people may have pets and the response is "so what". Well reasoned. What an arrogant reply. The point was that the renting culture in this country towards pet owners is far too unnecessarily punitive. Its another restrictive imposition on average tenants. What should be encouraged is responsible pet housing in complexes so the environment is happy for everyone.

No idea why any of that provoked such an animated response.

Every single time we have a thread to do with pets, we get responses like these. Not everyone likes pets, not everyone wants dogs or cats or whatever around them. Now the ups and downs of having pets are not what this thread is about.

The simple facts that we have are :

1. The complex does not allow pets (this is legal and within their rights)
    2. This other tenant is breaking the rules of the complex

It doesn't matter whether its drug dealing from an apartment, pets, keeping bikes inside etc… if theres rules, they probably exist for a reason and they are being broken.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    To those who say "If it's not causing a problem for you, don't report it", you might want to consider that flagrant rule-breaking in a complex is likely to lead to the general decline of a complex. If one person breaks the rules by getting a dog and nothing's done about it, then other people will assume they can do the same, or start having late-night parties, or hanging their washing out the windows, or whatever else is against the complex rules. If rules aren't enforced consistently for all, they will be broken more readily by all.

That means that landlords will struggle to secure rule-abiding tenants (do you want to live next-door to someone who throws weekly parties and has four dogs when you aren't prepared to jeopardize your lease agreement to take in a pet, and like to get sleep before work?), and will have to settle for whomever they can get. Again, this will contribute to an overall decline in the character of the complex and the living environment in general.

If you're a short-term renter, you may not care about this, but if you're a homeowner or you intend to rent there long-term, you may feel differently. Once the management company loses its ability to enforce the rules in a complex, it's likely to become a very different place to live very quickly.

Ah yes, first its pets. Next thing you know the entire complex will descend into anarchy with drug deals on the corridors.
    Every single time we have a thread to do with pets, we get responses like these. Not everyone likes pets, not everyone wants dogs or cats or whatever around them. Now the ups and downs of having pets are not what this thread is about.

The simple facts that we have are :

1. The complex does not allow pets (this is legal and within their rights)
    2. This other tenant is breaking the rules of the complex

It doesn't matter whether its drug dealing from an apartment, pets, keeping bikes inside etc… if theres rules, they probably exist for a reason and they are being broken.

Oh snap.

Well responses like what? People calling for a more reasonable outlook towards accommodating pets? Imagine that. It's an issue that isn't going to go away because humans have had pets for as long as we've been on the earth. The modern phenomenon of antisocial fusspots in urban dwellings unable to cope with people living outside of their arbitrary rules is an over the top restriction. You would have a point if we were talking about shady illegal activities like you alluded to in your post but these are just domestic animals. No one is saying everyone has to like pets. But as long as they are responsibly looked after your neighbours pets will never need to cross your path.

Ah yes, first its pets. Next thing you know the entire complex will descend into anarchy with drug deals on the corridors.

Oh snap.

Well responses like what? People calling for a more reasonable outlook towards accommodating pets? Imagine that. It's an issue that isn't going to go away because humans have had pets for as long as we've been on the earth. The modern phenomenon of antisocial fusspots in urban dwellings unable to cope with people living outside of their arbitrary rules is an over the top restriction. You would have a point if we were talking about shady illegal activities like you alluded to in your post but these are just domestic animals. No one is saying everyone has to like pets. But as long as they are responsibly looked after your neighbours pets will never need to cross your path.

you are correct, and at that time people had houses spread out from each other and separated by fences, and the pets had ample space to be pets. We are talking about apartments, a modern phenomenon that are completely unsuitable for pets. I would even go so far as to say that keeping a dog in an apartment is animal cruelty.

I never mentioned drugs.

Are you trying to make the argument that people are not more inclined to break rules once they see others breaking rules? Because as arguments go, that's not a good one.
    But as long as they are responsibly looked after your neighbours pets will never need to cross your path.
    Most apartments have common areas: hallways, mailbox rooms, elevators, etc. It is impossible to exit the building without travel through these areas. Responsible pet owners allow their animals outside time. This means that they'll have to bring their pet through the common area, where they will cross the paths of their neighbours.

Many people are not comfortable sharing a confined space with an unknown animal. If someone moves into a place where it is legally written into their lease that they won't have to deal with this, then they shouldn't have to.

• Advertisement

Well responses like what? People calling for a more reasonable outlook towards accommodating pets? Imagine that.

A LL should be under no obligation to accommodate pets, why should they? Apartments are not suitable for pets and I'd even say city living isn't really suitable for pets.

I wouldn't allow an animal in my own house so I surly would under no circumstances allow them in a property I was renting out. Any pet I had/will have lived outside with adequate shelter never in the house hence I see apartments as totally and utterly unsuitable for pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The dog isn't causing a problem, it would just be nasty and petty to report them. It would likely be pretty devastating for the owner to have to then face losing their dog or homelessness.
    I would even go so far as to say that keeping a dog in an apartment is animal cruelty.

Nonsense. While some breeds do better in apartments than others, so long as a dog is adequately exercised and cared for, there should be no issue. An apartment dog has to be brought out for a walk every time it needs a toilet break, which is a much preferable scenario to the way some dogs in houses are just left out in the garden all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rules are rules. The management company can't know everything that's going on and rely on members of the management company and their tenants to help maintain standards by reporting rule breaking.

When a majority of residents know and do not mind pets in the complex, well then maybe it means the rule is unnecessary.
    This only makes the argument to complain stronger. If people do not complain, there is a possibility the management will begin to think people don't mind, and may wish to seek to remove the rule in future.

This is blatantly unfair to those who purchased or rented their apartments because this rule was in place.
    Would an entire apartment complex be forbidden to use a certain substance in their home or on their person because one may be allergic to it ? Say, I love using bleach for cleaning my home, and the communal areas are cleaned with bleach. Will bleach be banned because one resident is allergic ?
    If you agreed to use no bleach when you rented or bought the apartment in the beginning, then yes you should absolutely be prevented from using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

No, theres enough pets on the streets and in shelters. Keep the pet in its home, regardless of what the MC wants.

The level of me feinism here is very sad really. So it's essentially a matter of fvck the rules, if it doesn't bother me, then it's all good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No, theres enough pets on the streets and in shelters. Keep the pet in its home, regardless of what the MC wants.

It's not a question of wants it's a question of signed legal documents.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's not a question of wants it's a question of signed legal documents.

Unfortunately so many people have no concept of what it means to sign their name to a document, and then they start whinging when they have to be held to what they agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

DivingDuck wrote: »
    This only makes the argument to complain stronger. If people do not complain, there is a possibility the management will begin to think people don't mind, and may wish to seek to remove the rule in future.

This is blatantly unfair to those who purchased or rented their apartments because this rule was in place.

If you agreed to use no bleach when you rented or bought the apartment in the beginning, then yes you should absolutely be prevented from using it.

But the OP doesn't seem to mind the pet being kept there.
    Of course when someone is bothered by noise, allergy, whatever, they are perfectly entitled to complain or report.

Going back to the bleach, what if no one in the complex is bothered by bleach, on the contrary, several are using it, or would like to, and everybody is happy with the use of bleach. Can rules ever be changed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The level of me feinism here is very sad really. So it's essentially a matter of fvck the rules, if it doesn't bother me, then it's all good?

It should be pointed out that it is this exact attitude that nearly broke this country...

Edit:

Actually this country is broken it just dosent realise it yet.

Advertisement