Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a pet to the management company?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

This thread is NOT about bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Where I live pets are forbidden in the Head Lease, so it would be quite difficult to change the rule because of that. Incidentally the directors have zero tolerance once they are aware of a pet on the premises, whether causing a nuisance or not. I guess it cuts out any subsequent whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The level of me feinism here is very sad really. So it's essentially a matter of fvck the rules, if it doesn't bother me, then it's all good?

No, it seems to me that maybe market demand should really govern rules in an apartment complex, that possibly the tenants of today have different expectations and demands to those of say, 10 years ago, and that landlords or complex management agencies are reluctant or slow to catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If it's not directly affecting you, I don't see why you'd bother getting involved. What do you gain from reporting them? Yeah, they're in the wrong here in that they shouldn't have the pets, but no one will benefit from reporting it, they'll either end up having to move (in which case you've just caused unnecessary upheaval in someone's life for no good reason) or get rid of the pet (in which case they lose the companionship of the pet, and the pet loses its home).

If the pets are causing a disturbance (barking, causing damage, etc), and a friendly word to the owner has yielded no results, then yeah, report it. But if it isn't affecting you in any way, just let it be IMO. There are probably better things you could be devoting your time to stamping out TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

No, it seems to me that maybe market demand should really govern rules in an apartment complex, that possibly the tenants of today have different expectations and demands to those of say, 10 years ago, and that landlords or complex management agencies are reluctant or slow to catch on.

The rules are generally a reflection of what is in the Head Lease. It isn't up to landlords or management agencies to set rules , this would be within the remit of the OMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I would absolutely support the creation of new complexes which allow pets. There's clearly a dire need for it, and this need should be catered to. People could then rent/buy on the understanding that they could have the pets they wanted, but would have to also deal with other people's pets and the resulting potential for difficulties there. It would be their choice.

By contrast, overturning the no-pets rule in a complex where it has always existed would be the opposite of choice. That is why it would be unfair, as it would force people to either move home (which they would not have otherwise wanted to do) or put up with something they didn't want to have to deal with, and something they rented/bought on the understanding would not be something they would have to deal with.

In a situation like this, someone is always going to have the bad end of the stick. In my belief, it should be the people who break rules, not the people who abide by them.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If it's not directly affecting you, I don't see why you'd bother getting involved. What do you gain from reporting them?

Some people want to live in a place where pets are not allowed. These people have rented/purchased apartments in complexes where there is a no pets rule. They have done the right thing. The person who has rented or bought in and place with a no-pets rule and moves in an animal has done the wrong thing.

I like to support people who are doing the right thing, and because I would like support if someone was breaking a rule which bothered me. For example, if your neighbour was playing loud music at 4am and you have to be up at 7am for work, wouldn't you like your neighbour to support your complaint, even if he wasn't bothered because he used earplugs anyway because his wife snores?

It's the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If people live with Dogs in an Apartment it shows they have no respect for the owners property (unless Dogs are allowed which in this case they aren't), if they have no respect for their landlords property then they likely have even less respect for their neighbours. Dogs should not be cooped up inside an apartment, they should have a big back yard to run around, and be chained up in a Kennel. It won't be long before dogs start to bark and then your nightmare will really start. Dogs really should only be kept on Farms and those with big houses in the country and not kept in housing estates either where their constant barking causes misery for all those around them.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Some people want to live in a place where pets are not allowed. These people have rented/purchased apartments in complexes where there is a no pets rule. They have done the right thing. The person who has rented or bought in and place with a no-pets rule and moves in an animal has done the wrong thing.

I like to support people who are doing the right thing, and because I would like support if someone was breaking a rule which bothered me. For example, if your neighbour was playing loud music at 4am and you have to be up at 7am for work, wouldn't you like your neighbour to support your complaint, even if he wasn't bothered because he used earplugs anyway because his wife snores?

It's the same thing.

I fully agree with you. If you want to live a place with no pets, and someone has a pet, then the situation is affecting you, so you should feel free to report it, I'd personally have no issue with that. However the OP suggests that the person doesn't actually have a problem with people having pets, so in that case I just don't see why you'd get involved.

I fully agree with you. If you want to live a place with no pets, and someone has a pet, then the situation is affecting you, so you should feel free to report it, I'd personally have no issue with that. However the OP suggests that the person doesn't actually have a problem with people having pets, so in that case I just don't see why you'd get involved.

As I said in the post you quoted, the reason I would do so is to support others who are abiding by the rules and would like to see those rules enforced.

A management company is more likely to take a complaint seriously and act on it more quickly if it comes from multiple people. It also means that one person doesn't end up in the unenviable position of always being the person to report breaches, which unfortunately is what tends to happen.

I don't feel that's fair, so I'll report things which may not bother me over-much in the spirit of the idea that when I have a problem, somebody might be kind enough to do the same for me.

• Advertisement

DivingDuck wrote: »
    As I said in the post you quoted, the reason I would do so is to support others who are abiding by the rules and would like to see those rules enforced.

A management company is more likely to take a complaint seriously and act on it more quickly if it comes from multiple people. It also means that one person doesn't end up in the unenviable position of always being the person to report breaches, which unfortunately is what tends to happen.

I don't feel that's fair, so I'll report things which may not bother me over-much in the spirit of the idea that when I have a problem, somebody might be kind enough to do the same for me.

Hadn't thought of it that way, and can't argue with that. A completely fair and reasonable position to hold.

I wouldn't report in this case, but I think I'm just clouded by my love of animals TBH. :P

Mr.S wrote: »
    Also, reporting it to the management company will do sweet **** all, would be a very drawn out process.

"Dog? What dog? No no that was just a friends visiting, no dog here!" And repeat.

No evidence of that. Some management companies are highly efficient at enforcing development rules.

As for lying? Even visiting dogs are a breach of rules where bans are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Hadn't thought of it that way, and can't argue with that. A completely fair and reasonable position to hold.

I wouldn't report in this case, but I think I'm just clouded by my love of animals TBH. :P

I'm not taking a dig, but surely someone who is an animal lover would therefore see the unreasonableness of moving animals somewhere unsuitable - either because they will be cooped up in an apartment, or because of the risk they might end up in a shelter because the owner is forced to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Stinicker wrote: »
    If people live with Dogs in an Apartment it shows they have no respect for the owners property (unless Dogs are allowed which in this case they aren't), if they have no respect for their landlords property then they likely have even less respect for their neighbours.

If an apartment complex states no pets allowed then this should be respected. Whether it's an owner/occupier or a tenant. They either willingly bought or rented an apartment that had a no pets rule.
    Dogs should not be cooped up inside an apartment, they should have a big back yard to run around, and be chained up in a Kennel. It won't be long before dogs start to bark and then your nightmare will really start. Dogs really should only be kept on Farms and those with big houses in the country and not kept in housing estates either where their constant barking causes misery for all those around them.
    But this part of your post is a load of rubbish. Firstly, dogs are companion animals. They need the company of humans, not to be left in a garden and to be chained to a kennel is cruel and goes against every welfare policy that the ISPCA/DSPCA/Dogs Trust/Every reputable rescue stands for. If you are looking for a sure fire way for a dog to bark in loneliness and frustration then leaving them in a garden and chaining them to a kennel is a sure fire way to go about it. Do you think dogs run around and exercise themselves in a garden? They tend to sleep all day and wait for their owner to come home.

Plenty of responsible owners are able to own dogs and live in cities either in houses or apartments and their dogs don't bark uncontrollably, or destroy the house or apartment because they are sufficiently exercised. To have the notion that dogs only belong on farms or in big country houses is a bit ridiculous. Do you think that because somebody lives in a big country house or a farm that they are a responsible owner? Most of the farmers I know don't neuter their farm dogs and collies are without doubt the most prolific dogs and pups handed into pounds.

"Dog? What dog? No no that was just a friends visiting, no dog here!" And repeat.

One sniff inside the apartment and you will know if a dog lives there or not and if they inspect the apartment at random the dog will be there.

Yes, but again - it's a very, very drawn out process. Lots of back and forths. I mean, it's a hassle, but if you really want your pet with you, you'll probably get away with it!

Has happened a few time in different blocks like the OP described, one apartment reported a dog in another (they where the only one who cared) and management company eventually lost interest!

A bit like wooden floors...sure everyone has them! ;)

Also there are management companies that enforce rules. They're not all the same and rule compliance really should be encouraged not discouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just to ask the thread, lets say an apartment in the complex develops an issue with mice and the MC or other tenants put in ultrasonic units to scare them away, the type that drive dogs and cats mental. Or another dog is illegitimately smuggled into an adjoining apartment and the two bark at each other through the wall non stop.

Whats the course of action in that case ? do the rules have to be obliged or does everyone have to suffer because some want to keep pets ?

also to anybody in favour of pets being kept 'secretly' , do you feel the same way about disobeying rules on wooden floors, noise , satellite dishes, bikes in hallways, rubbish on balconies ? . In a complex you can either be for upholding the rules or letting everyone away with whatever they want that "doesn't harm anyone else"

Advertisement