Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualify in home ec

Options
  • 29-12-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am a subbing English and history teacher who qualified in early 20s and then spent 10+ years working in hotels and tourism. Back to teaching and enjoying everyday I get. Just wondering though, to qualify in home ec, which I think I'd really enjoy what would I need to do? I hear there will be a shortage in the future and thought it might be something to add? Any ideas on courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

abra1 wrote: »
    I am a subbing English and history teacher who qualified in early 20s and then spent 10+ years working in hotels and tourism. Back to teaching and enjoying everyday I get. Just wondering though, to qualify in home ec, which I think I'd really enjoy what would I need to do? I hear there will be a shortage in the future and thought it might be something to add? Any ideas on courses?

The Home Economics colleges like St. Angela's in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OP the only place you can go is st angelas in Sligo. It is now a 5 years. It can be hard to get a home ec teacher if contract offered is rubbish eg 3 hours a week etc but there are still girls from when I qualified from st Catherine's (now closed) with no jobs of their own :( they are going from contract to contract. 90%++ of home ec teachers are female is there is always maternity leaves coming up but that is the height of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

I agree with above post. I am 4 years out of college and have had to move to the UK for work, very hard to get anything long term at home. :(

Advertisement