Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6N 2016 - build-up thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

lets see if the ringrose hype rings true after aki does a job on him today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ringrose is great and all, he could be a very very good player but the media need to calm down a bit. The poor guy is under a hell of a lot of scrutiny already largely because he is from Blackrock, plays 13 and has shown a fair bit of ability. But he hasn't done anything more than anyone else in contention yet he is being described as the annointed on etc...although a while back that was Robbie Henshaw...

Quite a bit of hype about Ringrose alright and it will put him under more scrutiny. At the same time it's no harm for the game to have exciting talent coming through.

My particular gripe is that a couple of young centers in Ulster aren't getting quite the same press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

My number one hope for the 6N 2016 is that the French team shows up. They provide a point of difference from the Lions countries, and I think the tournament as whole is much better if France are competitive. England and Italy also have new coaches, Cotter is bedded in now with Scotland, Gatland is Gatland, and Schmidt has a bit of work to do. Potentially this could be a cracking edition.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    My number one hope for the 6N 2016 is that the French team shows up. They provide a point of difference from the Lions countries, and I think the tournament as whole is much better if France are competitive. England and Italy also have new coaches, Cotter is bedded in now with Scotland, Gatland is Gatland, and Schmidt has a bit of work to do. Potentially this could be a cracking edition.

As I said at the top of thread I look at the French squad nowadays and I just "meh". I suppose Noves could do the obvious thing and pick Parra at 9 for every match which would automatically make them a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The 6N is beginning to remind me of the premier league: very competitive, but certainly not of the highest quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Quite a bit of hype about Ringrose alright and it will put him under more scrutiny. At the same time it's no harm for the game to have exciting talent coming through.

My particular gripe is that a couple of young centers in Ulster aren't getting quite the same press.

I agree. I know I've the ulster bias here but I reckon Olding has more talent than the rest of the upcoming lads put together. The lad is unreal. I hope he gets a good injury free run from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why are so few talking about Fitz at 12 with Henshaw at 13? He's looked bloody good there for Leinster against quality opposition and has played centre for Ireland recently. Seems the obvious option if Payne is out.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Why are so few talking about Fitz at 12 with Henshaw at 13? He's looked bloody good there for Leinster against quality opposition and has played centre for Ireland recently. Seems the obvious option if Payne is out.

I think plenty are talking about that combo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    I think plenty are talking about that combo

I suppose all the talk in the media has been about McCloskey and Ringrose. I haven't been reading these threads as much as just flicking through them recently.

I suppose all the talk in the media has been about McCloskey and Ringrose. I haven't been reading these threads as much as just flicking through them recently.

If Payne is out then Fitz/Henshaw is very possible. As you say Fitz knows the Irish gameplan inside out. McCloskey doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ireland has a killer schedule in 2016. 2 centre partnerships would be very handy, based around a combination for me of Fitz, McCloskey, Henshaw & Ringrose (assuming continuing form).

I hope Payne gets a run at 15 at some stage, but given his age he strikes me as stop-gap now.

I haven't seen enough of Olding, seems injured more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What's the word on Olding's return? Fantastic player - shame he's so injury prone

can someone explain to me how david kelly can write an article saying that ringrose is called up to the 6n squad yesterday and today the42 writes a report saying ultan dillane is called up with pat lam saying its no surprise. What is going on. Why is this information being drip-fed. Why is there no official announcement. This is simply crazy stuff by the IRFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

flouncer wrote: »
    can someone explain to me how david kelly can write an article saying that ringrose is called up to the 6n squad yesterday and today the42 writes a report saying ultan dillane is called up with pat lam saying its no surprise. What is going on. Why is this information being drip-fed. Why is there no official announcement. This is simply crazy stuff by the IRFU

Because it's not the official Six Nations squad. It's a short get together with half the actual squad not present.

Dillane is not in the Ireland squad, he's at the Ireland training session. There is a world of difference. Ditto Ringrose.

• Advertisement

Because it's not the official Six Nations squad. It's a short get together with half the actual squad not present.

Dillane is not in the Ireland squad, he's at the Ireland training session. There is a world of difference. Ditto Ringrose.
    Thanks. Was wondering what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

There isn't usually an official squad announced until the Tuesday or so after round 6 of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Various references to them Irish training squad in press regarding individuals. Dill lane, ringrose, van dear flier.

Anyone see the full list anywhere?

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Various references to them Irish training squad in press regarding individuals. Dill lane, ringrose, van dear flier.

Anyone see the full list anywhere?

Seems there will be no full list published. Pat Lam was the only manager to name players involved. So that was 4. Les Kiss said he had 11 involved. So there were 50 involved which means the combined interests of Leinster and Munster comes to 35.

I have to admit I'm really disappointed with Connachts representation. I suggest it is a reflection of the conservative approach of Joe Schmidt. Its a pity. Somehow the gloss is gone from the 6 nations knowing that it will be the same old stuff.

Seems there will be no full list published. Pat Lam was the only manager to name players involved. So that was 4. Les Kiss said he had 11 involved. So there were 50 involved which means the combined interests of Leinster and Munster comes to 35.

I have to admit I'm really disappointed with Connachts representation. I suggest it is a reflection of the conservative approach of Joe Schmidt. Its a pity. Somehow the gloss is gone from the 6 nations knowing that it will be the same old stuff.

I think Connacht as a team are greater than the sum of their parts but at least their contribution is improving.

Presume it's 5 - 10 from Munster and 25 - 30 from Leinster.

• Advertisement

I think Connacht as a team are greater than the sum of their parts
    What you say must be true in Joes eyes but I choose not to believe so

What you say must be true in Joes eyes but I choose not to believe so

I wouldn't follow Connacht so closely, but has the line-up of the team changed all that much in the past few seasons? It seems to me that Pat Lam is the difference.

I wouldn't follow Connacht so closely, but has the line-up of the team changed all that much in the past few seasons? It seems to me that Pat Lam is the difference.

To answer that lets take a comparison to the team that was fielded against Leinster 3 years ago

CONNACHT: R Henshaw; T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; D Parks, K Marmion; D Buckley, A Flavin, N White CAPTAIN, M Swift, M McCarthy, E McKeon, J O'Connor, G Naoupu. REPLACEMENTS: J Harris-Wright, B Wilkinson, R Loughney, D Gannon, W Faloon, D Moore, M Nikora, M Fifita.

Only 3 players of that starting 15 started last Friday and only one from the bench. So changes have been radical. That said Pat deserves a lot of credit for his purchases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Perhaps, but the difference he makes to the hunger and work ethic of those players could be transferred with them to the Irish camp. If Joe schmidt is half the coach he thinks he is he needs to reward the form players with at least the chance to demonstrate their ability at a training camp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who's the best of the Connacht LH props and how does he compare to McGrath or Kilcoyne, say? I'd guess Buckley from comments here but he's never on the pitch any time I manage to see Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Who's the best of the Connacht LH props and how does he compare to McGrath or Kilcoyne, say? I'd guess Buckley from comments here but he's never on the pitch any time I manage to see Connacht.

I'm no scrum affeciando. But Buckley is the best defender of any prop in this country in the loose. And a very capable attacker.

Now I know that is oddly specific. But he jackals like pocock and hooper, there have been games where he has made 5 or 6 turnovers alone. I think he's class.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm no scrum affeciando. But Buckley is the best defender of any prop in this country in the loose. And a very capable attacker.

Now I know that is oddly specific. But he jackals like pocock and hooper, there have been games where he has made 5 or 6 turnovers alone. I think he's class.
    What is he built like? Has he always played up front?

couldnt agree more. but it seems he doesnt rate in joes eyes. I am struggling to understand this

Objectively what are his weak points? Is he a good carrier? Can he destabilise a scrum? Schmidt won't bother if the core duties are not top notch.

Now I know I'm biased but Denis does not have a weakness. He is an utter nuisance, his turnovers are legendary, his speed (for a loose head) is unparalleled. He is a monster in the scrum, he rarely gets penalized in a position where referees are hugely picky. He is the real deal.

• Advertisement

Is he injured currently? I always see Loughney or Bealham playing.

foot injury at the moment. due back mid january

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Objectively what are his weak points? Is he a good carrier? Can he destabilise a scrum? Schmidt won't bother if the core duties are not top notch.
    The only situation were I've seen Buckley penalised with any regularity is his bind against very large tighthead props. He sometimes struggles with a lack of reach. But I've only seen this a few times. I'm a massive fan of his, disappointed he's currently injured.
    Never misses a game and gets injured just prior to the start of the 6 nations.Very unlucky.

I'm a Buckley fan. Think he does an absolutely outrageous amount of work, has good hands and is superb at the breakdown. Remember watching a Connacht game where every turnover seemed to be from Buckley jackalling.

He's been very very good for quite some time now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think it's time to add another team to the championship. In the rugby championship each team plays 6 times (home and away against 3 teams). Where we play 5 games in our championship.

A team called European Nations would be good. 30 players made up from the top European nations teams (Georgia,Russia, Spain, Romania etc). Home games are played across these country's each year.

So it wud be the 7 nations championship.

Another thing they could do is have an 8 team championship in both the north and south hemisphere.

Nh- Ireland, England, Wales,Scotland, France, Italy, Romania,Georgia

Sh- new Zealand, Australia, south Africa, Argentina, Japan, Fiji, Samoa, USA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A team with players from Georgia and Russia would never finish a game with 15 men, they'd have guys sent off for fighting each other!

Also there's no more room in the calendar for an extra game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think it's time to add another team to the championship. In the rugby championship each team plays 6 times (home and away against 3 teams). Where we play 5 games in our championship.

A team called European Nations would be good. 30 players made up from the top European nations teams (Georgia,Russia, Spain, Romania etc). Home games are played across these country's each year.

So it wud be the 7 nations championship.

Another thing they could do is have an 8 team championship in both the north and south hemisphere.

Nh- Ireland, England, Wales,Scotland, France, Italy, Romania,Georgia

Sh- new Zealand, Australia, south Africa, Argentina, Japan, Fiji, Samoa, USA.
    There isn't room in the season for 7/8 nations and none of Georgia, Romania etc would want a composite side of ENC1A playing against 6Ns sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Day 1
    Fra vs Ita- Fra
    Sco vs Eng- Eng
    Ire vs Wal- Wal

Day 2
    Fra vs Ire- Fra
    Wal vs Sco- Wal
    Ita vs Eng- Eng

Day 3
    Wal vs Fra- Wal
    Ita vs Sco- Sco
    Eng vs Ire- Ire

Day 4
    Ire vs Ita- Ire
    Eng vs Wal- Eng
    Sco vs Fra- Fra

table going into day 5

1 Wal 6
    2 Eng 6
    3 Fra 6
    4 Ire 4
    5 Sco 2
    6 Ita 0

same as last year with 3 teams fighting out for the title last day but Ireland/Scotland/Italy cant win it.

Day 5
    Wal-Ita- Wal
    Ire vs Sco- Ire
    Fra vs Eng- Eng

England to win on points for me.

1 Eng (8)
    2 Wal (8)
    3 Fra (6)
    4 Ire (6)
    5 Sco (2)
    6 Ita (0)

Ohhhh let me try

1 Ireland (10)
    2 ... The rest of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This day 2 weeks is when we play Wales.

Sexton failed his HIA today so does anyone know the min time they're meant to have off after failing one?

Sexton failed his HIA today so does anyone know the min time they're meant to have off after failing one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »

I'm not sure if he failed any check. Maybe they just decided it wasn't worth sending him back out in a meaningless game, that's certainly what Cullen said:
    “Johnny just got a head knock so we didn’t want to risk him going back out there so he’s up and about in the dressing room being assessed so he’ll follow the usual return-to-play protocols,” said Cullen following his side’s 51-10 defeat in Coventry.

http://www.the42.ie/sexton-moore-leinster-wasps-2564350-Jan2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not too surprised to see the above quote. He didn't look as out of it as he has done previously and appeared totally lucid as he went off and took his spot on the bench. If it wasn't a dead rubber, I reckon he'd have come back in.

With that said, it does show how fragile he is and how nervous they are about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not too surprised to see the above quote. He didn't look as out of it as he has done previously and appeared totally lucid as he went off and took his spot on the bench. If it wasn't a dead rubber, I reckon he'd have come back in.

With that said, it does show how fragile he is and how nervous they are about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Its worrying that in such a key position that we have no worthy replacement sorted by now and its not just outhalf; scrumhalf, hooker, 2nd row isnt packed either, yet we have about 12+ worthy backrows vying for squad places.

Should certain positions be emphasised more in development or are they, but there is just a lack of talent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Its worrying that in such a key position that we have no worthy replacement sorted by now and its not just outhalf; scrumhalf, hooker, 2nd row isnt packed either, yet we have about 12+ worthy backrows vying for squad places.

Should certain positions be emphasised more in development or are they, but there is just a lack of talent?

If Best is out Cronin and Strauss are more than capable replacements so not sure hooker is an area of worry.

I believe the academies take in more of X position when the provinces look light in one area so it's swings and roundabouts. Replacements always seem to appear when needed. Sure tighthead looked extremely light for a few years and now it's quite a competitive area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dylan Hartley named England captain, now that's a strange choice given his record. May be an inspired choice or a complete clusterf@*k but brave call one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Interesting trend towards hookers being captains.

Three new captains in this year's 6N being.

Best
    Guirado
    Hartley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hookers and 8's were quite often pack leaders, so if you're going to have a forward as captain it makes sense. Maybe it will calm Hartley down, but he isn't exactly good at managing refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Interesting trend towards hookers being captains.

Three new captains in this year's 6N being.

Best
    Guirado
    Hartley
    It's always been popular for some reason (especially here):

Keith Wood
    Terry Kingston
    Ciaran FitzGerald
    Alf Dawson
    Karl Mullen

Welsh
    Matthew Rees
    Jon Humphries