Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! 7 guests at short notice

Options
  • 29-12-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi would be grateful for any suggestions! Have unexpected dinner to do for 10, 6 ads and 4 kids. No food in the house but can buy everything tomorrow I hope. Want to do 3 simple courses but have no idea what to do for main. Thinking salmon terrine a la Mary berry for starts, and will concoct something for dessert, but stuck on an easy crowd pleaser for main!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is there a reason you need to do 3 courses? Everyone is surely stuffed to the gills after Christmas. I'd do a big single dish that people can help themselves to - something like lasagna, pulled pork with salads and baps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Avoca beef and guinness stew - a one-pot meal, and absolutely delicious. Add carrots, celery, onion, and you can do mash to go with it if you feel so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Faith wrote: »
    Is there a reason you need to do 3 courses? Everyone is surely stuffed to the gills after Christmas. I'd do a big single dish that people can help themselves to - something like lasagna, pulled pork with salads and baps, etc.

I don't know! Some people I haven't seen for ages so want to have loads on the go. Thinking that can lash out the starters and gives people time to relax. Maybe big lasagne? With salad? Then shavings of levtover choc cake with ice cream and fresh berries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Skip the starer, do a big curry or casserole or stew for mains and buy cake or something for desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Coca Cola ham is always a crowd pleaser and pretty simple, don't tell them what it is until they've started eating it, and don't cut corners, real Coke not diet, follow these instructions and they'll love it.. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Order in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A big lasagne, salad and some crusty bread is a universal crowd pleaser round my way. And leftover chocolate cake & icecream sounds really lovely to follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

Only just saw this post, but my ideas for next time!

Lasagne with salad and garlic bread

Chilli con carne and rice (I add sweetcorn and frozen peas to add interest to the rice)

Chicken Curry and rice (Basmati), perhaps with nans

Strogonoff with rice....amazingly simple to prepare

Trifle for dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Instead of starter, put nuts, and crudités with shop hummous for nibbling and chatting before the meal, with a drink.

Main - another vote for Beef and Guinness stew. With mashed potatoes or crusty bread.

Dessert - put some shop-bought mince pies in the oven to warm - serve with ice cream. [for grown-ups, trickle a teaspoon of brandy over this]

Advertisement