Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Magazines

Options
  • 29-12-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I know this has been asked before but i cant find the answer.
    So can anyone tell me is it ok to import .22 10 shot pistol mags?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Pretty sure you can't (unless you have your pistol on a restricted licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Firstly a 10 shot pistol magazine requires a restricted licence.
    Secondly it is illegal to import a magazine without an importers licence.

Lastly lots of people ignore the first two points and get them sent from abroad, sometimes they will arrive at your house, other times they are ceased by the revelant people and you forfit the goods and can also end up in the "****s"..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

get a RFD to bring them in for you, he can sell / release them to you once restricted to 5 rounds, that's a legal way of doing it as far as I know but in Ireland u just don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Firstly a 10 shot pistol magazine requires a restricted licence.
    Secondly it is illegal to import a magazine without an importers licence.

Are they not all 10 shot until we get them restricted to 5 shot?
    Also on the last thread on this Cass said that your licence was your import permit I was just wondering if this has changed?
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

So is pistols only allowed 5 round mags in 22 lr?
    What about rifles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Pistol 5 shot and rifle 10 shot on a unrestricted licence. It's a restricted licence granted by chief super if you want more than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

hexosan wrote: »
    Pistol 5 shot and rifle 10 shot on a unrestricted licence. It's a restricted licence granted by chief super if you want more than this.

thanks,i was thinking of gettin a ruger 10/22 so i should be allright then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

boc121 wrote: »
    Are they not all 10 shot until we get them restricted to 5 shot?
    Also on the last thread on this Cass said that your licence was your import permit I was just wondering if this has changed?
    Thanks again.
    The issue there is you are trying to import a restricted item on an unrestricted license. The magazine would have to be blocked before trying to import or be imported by an RFD with a restricted firearms dealers license and then blocked prior to the person with the unrestricted license buying it.
    So is pistols only allowed 5 round mags in 22 lr?
    What about rifles?
    hexosan wrote: »
    • .22lr pistols on an unrestricted license can ONLY have 5 shot mags (on a restricted license it's any amount)
    • Semi auto/repeating rimfire rifles on an unrestricted license can ONLY have 10 shot mags (on a restricted license it's any amount)
    • Repeating C/F rifle (bolt/lever action) not exceeding 7.62 (.308 cal) have no restriction on mag size.
    • Semi auto centrefire rifles are restricted and as such have no mag limit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cass wrote: »

• .22lr pistols on an unrestricted license can ONLY have 5 shot mags (on a restricted license it's any amount)
    • Semi auto .22lr rifles on an unrestricted license can ONLY have 10 shot mags (on a restricted license it's any amount)
    • Repeating rifle (bolt/lever action) not exceeding 7.62 (.308 cal) have no restriction on mag size.
    • Semi auto centrefire rifles are restricted and as such have no mag limit.

That is good to know. I was getting worried there, because the bolt action 77/22 I am buying comes with a 25 mag. Although I am not sure I will use it tbh. I reckon I will prefer the flush mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

All rimfires have a 10 round limit not just semi autos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Strider wrote: »

That is what I was told by my RFD. My Cz 455 came with a 5 round mag and when I asked him about bigger mags he told me the largest I could get was a 10 round. There are 25 round mags available for the Cz but to be honest the look quite cumbersome and I don't think I'd feel comfortable using them

Downwind wrote: »
    Selling my 10/22 with Archangel deluxe stock . Really nice stock. Rifle comes with Niko Sterling Scope as new and approx 1000 rnds of ammo cci mini mag and 1000 rnd of cci sub sonic.

2 BX 25 banana clip magazines. MOD NOTE - Anything over 10 rounds makes the rifle restricted and as such a restricted license is needed to own these.

Mod ,and original stock and chepey bipod.And original 10 round mag

€700 for the lot

I did find this post from a sale thread in January, but I can't tell if this is a bolt action...so....awaiting confirmation on the 10+ mags situation

A 10/22 is a semi auto

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BTW ,nothing to say you cant have the 25,30,etc 10/22 mags either on an unrestricted liscense,just so long as they are blocked to ten rounds.!! So if you wanted a "tacticool" look of a high cap mag ,it is no problem so long as it just holds ten shots.Which also opens the question about the .22 lookalike rifles.As we know now that "form doesnt follow function" and that the "Idontlikedelookodatnow!" as it is a more than ten shot .22 long gun is and has been dismissed in the courts up as far as the HC.Whats to stop you getting a AK .22 copy from GSG or whomever and importing it with its mag blocked to ten shots?
    Ironically getting back to the 10/22 if instead of having an illegal 20 shot restricted mag.It would be perfectly legal to tape two 10 shot mags end to end and have the same effect.Legal because they are two seperate mags not one entity....Go figure this craziness out.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Or the tri mag adapter to increase it to 30

Strider wrote: »
    Apologies. You are correct and i've edited my post above to highlight this. I was thinking of centrefire rifles. While the Si makes note of rimfire rifles with a mag limit it makes no such mention for centrefire which is odd.

From SI 21/2008
    (c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):
    • (i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,
    • (ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,
    Luckysasha wrote: »
    There are 25 round mags available for the Cz but to be honest the look quite cumbersome and I don't think I'd feel comfortable using them
    They would be. If shooting freehand then not so much but from rested position, bench, etc. it'd be hitting the bench/table. PITA.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I've never been asked for my licence by the rfd (and there have been many) when buying spare mags. Is it a case of the 10 rnd mag becoming a component when inserted to an unrestricted .22 pistol perhaps? On its own its a glorified bullet box?
    Same applies to moderators. Have never been asked to show a licence (with or without the s) when buying. Do they become a firearm component only when attached?
    I admit some rfd's have quoted pure tripe in relation to legislation but this is a common trend.

Deaf git wrote: »
    Is it a case of the 10 rnd mag becoming a component when inserted to an unrestricted .22 pistol perhaps?
    The law says no more than 5 rounds. So 6 onwards is restricted. now if you have a 10 round mag and only load 5 you're still not "safe" or perhaps the better term is legal. As the mag can hold more than five and the law does not say how many you actually load, but can load.
    On its own its a glorified bullet box?
    It's a stupid thing in it's entirety. We've discussed this before about feck all difference between two 10 round mags and four 5 round mags.
    Do they become a firearm component only when attached?
    No. Unlike Nightvision stuff which only requires authorisation if attached, a suppressor is in it's own right a firearm under Irish law. It was actually a restricted firearm, but for the work of the old FCP that got that shot down. So regardless of whether you have a gun or not, or ave it on the gun or not, if you have possession of a suppressor you need authorisation.
    I admit some rfd's have quoted pure tripe in relation to legislation but this is a common trend.
    Not really the place to discuss it, but what should be done and is done can differ quite a lot depending on RFD.

So, if i wanted to go above a 10 round mag on a bolt action 22 rifle, i would need a restricted license?

What is the likelihood of being refused this if applied for, when compared to applying for an unrestricted license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

So is it ok to have 2 x 10 round and 1 x 5 round mag loaded up sitting beside you when shooting rabbits instead of a 25 round mag. Someone obviously thought this through properly lol

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »
    So is it ok to have 2 x 10 round and 1 x 5 round mag loaded up sitting beside you when shooting rabbits instead of a 25 round mag. Someone obviously thought this through properly lol

Or 10 rifles each loaded with a 10 round mag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its a shame pistol comps requiring 6 shot mags can't happen every weekend............

goz83 wrote: »
    So, if i wanted to go above a 10 round mag on a bolt action 22 rifle, i would need a restricted license?
    Yes.
    What is the likelihood of being refused this if applied for, when compared to applying for an unrestricted license?
    You need to show why you need this retricted license/higher mag capacity and why an unrestricted would not do.

Restricted does not mean cannot be gotten it just means the application is scrutinised to a higher degree. As such it's "easier" to go for the unrestricted, get the rifle/license and then if you need it down the road seek to apply for a restricted license on the gun you already have.

Advertisement