Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MODERN NEW LIBRARY FOR BLACKROCK AND MAHON

Options
  • 29-12-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Anybody any news on this ?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/modern-new-library-blackrock-mahon/56513/

MONDAY, MARCH 17, 2014
    A MODERN new library for Mahon and Blackrock is set to open within a year.
    Cork City Council has published planning documents for the new facility to be located on the former Abode Sheltered Housing site on the Skehard Road.
    The site, next to St Michael’s Cemetery, is owned by Cork City Council and has been earmarked for a new library for a number of years.
    Work is already well advanced on a new library for Hollyhill and Knocknaheeny on the grounds of Terence MacSwiney College.
    Once both libraries are complete Cork will have a main City Library on the Grand Parade and seven suburban libraries. It highlights the popularity of libraries in the city.
    Government statistics show that people in Cork visit libraries more than anywhere else in the country and borrow more books than any other city or county.
    The Council have approved 1.2m for the new Mahon Library but hope to secure it for less. It is hoped that work will start in the coming months and have the project near completion by the end of the year.
    Despite having the largest population in the city the South East ward of Cork has been without a library and has used the mobile library instead.
    Under the new plans the old Adobe building with be extensively renovated with larger windows and an entrance opening onto the Skehard Road.
    Cork City Librarian Liam Ronayne said they will renovate the building for use as a modern fully functional library including a wide range of books, computers and a meeting room for local groups and organisations to use.
    “We are encouraging people to look at the plans and give their feedback and let us know what they feel is important before they are finalised,” he said.
    Valerie O’Sullivan, the Director of Corporate and External Affairs in City Hall, said it was well past time that Mahon and Blackrock had a permanent library.
    “At the moment the area is only serviced by a mobile library and there is demand there with a young and growing population for a permanent library,” she said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's good. We live in this area and use the city library and douglas library at the moment. Great service provided by the city libraries, they order books for me, the texting service is very handy.

Tbh, i would prefer to see the promised playground down in blackrock village sometime in the next decade, but a library is welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

pwurple wrote: »
    That's good. We live in this area and use the city library and douglas library at the moment. Great service provided by the city libraries, they order books for me, the texting service is very handy.

Tbh, i would prefer to see the promised playground down in blackrock village sometime in the next decade, but a library is welcome too.

Yes - it would be very nice and make a lot of sense given the surrounding population and the fact that the mobile library has been discontinued but the thing is the article is going on for 2 Years old and again there appears to be nothing happening.

I'm going to ask around but I've hardly been out the door due to the storms.

The village is short of funding, so that will never happen at this stage the way things are going. You'd think a library would be a priority for funding but what do l know.

Advertisement