Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Mira showers. One is really loud.

Options
  • 29-12-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I am hoping someone can help me with this.

We've had a Mira Elite ST 9.8kW shower for years, and it is really loud. I never bothered trying to figure out why and just made do. It died last year and we got a replacement which was the same Mira model. It is also really loud.

Recently we had another bathroom put in and the builder installed a Mira Sport Thermostatic 9.8kW shower which is dead silent. So I am now trying to figure out why the older shower is so loud and how can it be fixed.

Here is audio of both showers. You'll know which is which when you check the links.
    https://clyp.it/dxqts0lz
    https://clyp.it/0zs1lott

Is the Elite ST meant to be that loud and replacing it with the same one installed in the new bathroom will fix the problem, or is there something going on with the plumbing that needs sorting? I don't think it is a problem with the unit itself. As I said, the original Elite ST we had broke last year and was replaced with a new one just as loud.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

is one on a partition wall and the other on a solid wall??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

meercat wrote: »
    is one on a partition wall and the other on a solid wall??

Hi. Yes, one is on a partition wall and one on a solid. It's actually the quiet one that is on a partition wall. I had seen someone mention a partition wall as a reason why a shower might be very loud, but the noisy one we have is the one on a solid wall.

Could it be that the Mira ST is a gravity fed shower, and the Mira Sport one is connected to the cold mains? Those are the only differences I can between the two showers. The noisier one was more expensive that the quiet one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Mira Elite St is a pumped electric shower. The noise you hear is the pump/ motor.

The Mira sport has no pump / motor so it can't make a noise.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The Mira Elite St is a pumped electric shower. The noise you hear is the pump/ motor.

The Mira sport has no pump / motor so it can't make a noise.

Thank you, sleeper. That is good to know. Would you happen to know if I could replace the Mira Elite shower, which gets water from the attic, with the same Mira Sport shower? Or does the Sport need to be connected to the cold mains?

Sorry if that is a stupid question. I am not good with stuff like this :o.

Oat23 wrote:
    Thank you, sleeper. That is good to know. Would you happen to know if I could replace the Mira Elite shower, which gets water from the attic, with the same Mira Sport shower? Or does the Sport need to be connected to the cold mains?

It needs to be connected to the mains.

If you're Mira elite was installed correctly then it will have its own dedicated supply directly from the tank. If this was done then you can swap to the mains filling the tank in the attic.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It needs to be connected to the mains.

If you're Mira elite was installed correctly then it will have its own dedicated supply directly from the tank. If this was done then you can swap to the mains filling the tank in the attic.

Thank you for your help. I'll have to do some investigating to see if it's a simple job to swap over from the tank to the cold mains. Now that I've heard how silent the new one is I can't keep the noisy Elite one. Can't shower at 7am..can't shower after 11pm...it's so loud it bothers others in the house!

Oat23 wrote:
    Thank you for your help. I'll have to do some investigating to see if it's a simple job to swap over from the tank to the cold mains. Now that I've heard how silent the new one is I can't keep the noisy Elite one. Can't shower at 7am..can't shower after 11pm...it's so loud it bothers others in the house!

Good luck with it. If you need any advice feel free to PM me

Advertisement