Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems re installing windows 8

Options
  • 29-12-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

My daughter bought a HP Stream 11 last year, all was fine with it until "something happened" that meant it needed a re install, everything including the recovery partition was wiped, I thought no problem re install it but we can't because its a version that can't be installed with the Windows 8 download, the product key is embedded in the computer..

I did find a way to install windows 8 bypassing the need for a key, but it's not activated now and it won't accept the actual product key that I have recovered..

I was in contact with HP and they say only option is to buy the recovery media for about €50 which we'd obviously like to avoid doing, so does anyone know where I can get the right version to use with the activation code we have?

Louise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Contact Microsoft who should be able to talk you through the activate by phone method.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

1.At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.
    2.Tap or click the Settings charm.
    3.Tap or click Change PC Settings.
    4.Tap or click Activate Windows.
    5.If your computer is not activated, PC Settings provides instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help resolve your error, tap or click the appropriate link, that may resemble one of the following:
    •Activate
    •Activate by phone
    •Contact customer support for help

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thanks TJJP

I've tried phone activation just now and it doesn't recognise the code

I've managed to find the embedded Product Key, but it doesn't seem to work with any version of Windows 10 now even though they've said they've eliminated the need to activate in the original OS...

So we've got the product Key, tried both Windows 8 and Windows 10 with the key but it won't work!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No sticker on the computer with the product key?

Sticker with Windows 8, but I have the windows key now, it just won't work activating

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its an OEM key you need a HP branded copy of windows to activate against the SLIC table AFAIK. If not:
    There are two methods for activating Windows 8: Windows Product Activation and OEM Activation 3.0.
    Windows Product Activation (WPA) sends an installation ID number to Microsoft before Windows is verified and then activated. WPA involves two numbers. One is an installation ID (generated by entering a Windows 8 product key) that the computer owner submits to Microsoft, either over the Internet or by phone. The second is a confirmation ID, assigned by Microsoft, which is used to activate the operating system’s software. This method is used when upgrading or installing Windows 8 from disc (not HP System Recovery).

OEM Activation 3.0 (OA3) takes place at the factory. A digital product key (DPK) is installed on the motherboard BIOS during the manufacturing process. Windows 8 will activate automatically the first time the computer is connected to the Internet. With OA3-activated systems, most of the computer's hardware can be replaced without needing to reactivate the software through Microsoft.

Call the MS computer, type in digits, get back digits. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

dido2 wrote: »
    Sticker with Windows 8, but I have the windows key now, it just won't work activating

Did you try this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Failing that, you could see if someone with a similar model could create a system install disk for you.

MarkR wrote: »
    Did you try this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Failing that, you could see if someone with a similar model could create a system install disk for you.

I think I've downloaded every version of Windows 8 at this stage, installed it only for it to not accept the code because it's for the wrong version! I'm a bit stubborn so I won't give up just yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

If you don't get it solved you could buy a new code from reddits windowswap section for around $25 for windows 10 or less for earlier versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

You can retrieve the bios from the motherboard using RWeverthing or similar software. Follow the instructions here http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/10

I've done this a few times to get a clean install of Windows 8.1 on Windows 8 machines. I got it the key then downloaded a Windows 8.1 installation from MS and installed it using a generic windows 8.1 product key, select the appropriate one for your PC. These are only for installation and will not activate.
    Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Once installed update the product key to the one you retrieved from the bios and it will activate

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    You can retrieve the bios from the motherboard using RWeverthing or similar software. Follow the instructions here http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/10

I've done this a few times to get a clean install of Windows 8.1 on Windows 8 machines. I got it the key then downloaded a Windows 8.1 installation from MS and installed it using a generic windows 8.1 product key, select the appropriate one for your PC. These are only for installation and will not activate.
    Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Once installed update the product key to the one you retrieved from the bios and it will activate
    I did manage to get the code using produkey and I've done installations using the codes above and tried to change it but it won't accept it.

It looks like the version is known as Windows 8.1 with bing, and apparently it was a cheaper version for these kind of laptops and as far as I can see that version doesn't exist in download world!! But I'll give it another bit to see if I can find that version then I'll try buying a new product key

• Advertisement

I thought update this in case someone else has the same problem!

I downloaded windows 10 once again, didn't activate but joined the insider program and got the insider previews, done all updates then ran activation again, I used the key I had gotten from running produkey, and it activated..

I still didn't want the insider version on my daughters laptop so I made a system image, then I ran the windows 10 media creation tool to install the normal version of windows 10, it all installed and I checked activation status again, it was activated!!!

So we have her laptop activated now with windows 10 without having to buy the recovery media from HP!

Advertisement