Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year, New You!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd like to think that I'll commit to a gym program and get back to lifting weights. Realistically I'll go for 6 weeks and get bored. Improve the diet a bit maybe and try force myself to go for a run once a week might be more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Drink more water - and not just when I'm hungover.

Aim for a few fewer hangovers - but drink water anyway.

Run a marathon in mid April. Possibly whilst drinking water.

Hopefully I'll post here again in four months or so to confirm I'm all hydrated and marathony.

I'm not into New Years resolutions. I've some goals for 2016 but that's because they're in 2016, races and what have you. I'm already working toward them.

I'm currently eyeing up a half marathon mountain race for mid March but I don't know if I would be fit for it in 10 weeks. Could be my first big goal of the new year though.

I do think setting New Years resolutions tend to lead to failure, not for all, but for most. Setting smaller more specific goals is always going to be more effective.

Not "eat healthier in 2016" but "no take aways in January" is much more measurable goal. When you achieve a goal you get a warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment and you're more likely to set more goals and achieve them too.

I know that's all a lot less fun and serious than New Years resolutions but I achieved a lot in 2014 and 2015 this way.

Happy New year people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

So my plan to read a book a week was to be completed by reading 60 pages a night. Haven't read in three days, but that's last years news so it doesn't count, right?

Haven't bitten my nails..much...the last few days.

I'm currently eyeing up a half marathon mountain race for mid March but I don't know if I would be fit for it in 10 weeks. Could be my first big goal of the new year though.

WW Trail?

WW Trail?

Yep. I'd have to work my ass off between now and then to get mountain fit.

Yep. I'd have to work my ass off between now and then to get mountain fit.

Oh do it do it do it.

You won't regret it. Sure, you may not be at what you feel is your optimal fitness, but you can think about lowering times next year. Lots of mountain running isn't about the min per km anyway, though everyone likes to do their best and obviously athletes like Paul Tierney and Jason Kehoe are remarkable. But it's about that shared experience, battling the elements, the mountain and the mud and the fun, the hands on knees as you toil uphil, the trying not to tumble head over heel on the way down. Took it up about 3 years back after a few marathons, it's a very different vibe, I find it addictive.

Oh do it do it do it.

You won't regret it. Sure, you may not be at what you feel is your optimal fitness, but you can think about lowering times next year. Lots of mountain running isn't about the min per km anyway, though everyone likes to do their best and obviously athletes like Paul Tierney and Jason Kehoe are remarkable. But it's about that shared experience, battling the elements, the mountain and the mud and the fun, the hands on knees as you toil uphil, the trying not to tumble head over heel on the way down. Took it up about 3 years back after a few marathons, it's a very different vibe, I find it addictive.

I've only ever done one mountain race, Warriors run in Sligo, and that's road and trail. I find that one pretty tough.

But sure feck it. 10 weeks it is. I can only run 4 times a week so 40 runs to get me to the top of the Wicklow gap and back down without dying.

Hmmmm. I do like a challenge ;)

I've only ever done one mountain race, Warriors run in Sligo, and that's road and trail. I find that one pretty tough.

But sure feck it. 10 weeks it is. I can only run 4 times a week so 40 runs to get me to the top of the Wicklow gap and back down without dying.

Hmmmm. I do like a challenge ;)

Maybe try to get out and about on some hills between now and then, maybe make them your LSR at weekends or whatever. Gym and road fitness will get you up, but confidence underfoot is handy for the descent, and you only get that from kms on the slopes. It's not necessary, it just makes it a bit more enjoyable. Did the WW Ultra a couple of years back, the descent off Djouce is fast but on a trail, boardwalk and forest road rather than open mountain, so you don't need particularly aggressive soles. Think I did it on Adidas Kanadias, which are solid and cheap enough.

I'm surrounded by mountains so I've no excuse.

I bought asics fuji trabaco 4s just before Christmas but they've yet to have an outing.

Ok I'll stop taking over the thread now. Thanks Conor :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement