Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bit of feedback

• 29-12-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,
    Hope you had great xmas.

Basically I set off to Canada in February of this year on my two year working holiday visa, activated upon arrival. Within a week my father suffered a stroke, which meant I had to rush back. I've been planning on heading back throughout the year, but the financial and personal strain of the whole thing has meant I have had to keep pushing it back and am only now finally in a position to go back and give it a go.

My question is, is it worth it? I've heard stories that it can be difficult enough to find work on the two year visa, let alone 13 months remaining on one. My original plan was to work up the 1560 hours required to at least be in a position to apply for express entry in a year or so, which technically I'm still able to do during the 13 months, but I guess I'm just worried that I'm kidding myself to get established and get working there on such on a reduced timeframe.

I know up until last year that the working holiday programme actually only issued for 12 months and people enjoyed their time in Canada and some went on to get PR, so on the other hand maybe I should stop worrying and just go for it now I'm in a position to do so?

Thanks for taking the time to read the above.

Happy New Year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

matthew86 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you had great xmas.

Basically I set off to Canada in February of this year on my two year working holiday visa, activated upon arrival. Within a week my father suffered a stroke, which meant I had to rush back. I've been planning on heading back throughout the year, but the financial and personal strain of the whole thing has meant I have had to keep pushing it back and am only now finally in a position to go back and give it a go.

My question is, is it worth it? I've heard stories that it can be difficult enough to find work on the two year visa, let alone 13 months remaining on one. My original plan was to work up the 1560 hours required to at least be in a position to apply for express entry in a year or so, which technically I'm still able to do during the 13 months, but I guess I'm just worried that I'm kidding myself to get established and get working there on such on a reduced timeframe.

I know up until last year that the working holiday programme actually only issued for 12 months and people enjoyed their time in Canada and some went on to get PR, so on the other hand maybe I should stop worrying and just go for it now I'm in a position to do so?

Thanks for taking the time to read the above.

Happy New Year!

Depends where your going and what your skills are I guess.In sask where I am there's no shortage of work,its not hard to get a job,I could work 2 or 3 jobs if I had the time,some people are not prepared to take whatever job comes to them or if you go somewhere expensive and saturated with people,like maybe Vancouver or Toronto its going to be harder to get started,depends what you want I guess.I wouldn't worry about PR until you have lived here for a while and know you want to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 matthew86

Cheers buddy. Appreciate the reply.

Advertisement