Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my windows 7 is a copy

Options
  • 29-12-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    I bought a pc of a guy last month but just found out now that my windows 7 is a copy. from what i have figured out i have to either get a new windows 7 product key or buy windows 7 and install it. i tried the free upgrade to windows 10 but it wont allow me because my current windows 7 is not registered with a product key.
    I was looking at the microsoft website but it seems to be offering free upgrades to windows 10 and does not mention previous versions of windows.
    Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get back to windows. i would prefer to stay with windows 7.
    Ps. The cheapest possible solution would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Hi
    I bought a pc of a guy last month but just found out now that my windows 7 is a copy. from what i have figured out i have to either get a new windows 7 product key or buy windows 7 and install it. i tried the free upgrade to windows 10 but it wont allow me because my current windows 7 is not registered with a product key.
    I was looking at the microsoft website but it seems to be offering free upgrades to windows 10 and does not mention previous versions of windows.
    Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get back to windows. i would prefer to stay with windows 7.
    Ps. The cheapest possible solution would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

If you don't manage to get it sorted online. Some people on adverts selling copies 25 euro ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

That's most likely where the previous buyer bought the copy of Windows.
    I don't want to be the stick in the mud, but the Reddit of where the keys are being sold is being plagued by tons of unhappy customers, claiming the first 3 months were fine, only to be locked out.
    Adverts might be lucky, but you never know buying 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Buy a windows 7 key on reddit, upgrade it straight away to windows 10. You'll have no issues then regarding dodgy keys and activations. I used reddit for two pcs built last year and had no problems before or after I upgraded to windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If the windows 10 insider program is still open, and the PCs are non critical (e.g. college work etc.) join that and enjoy free windows 10. I've had zero issues on my ghetto ultrabook.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

superg wrote: »
    Buy a windows 7 key on reddit, upgrade it straight away to windows 10. You'll have no issues then regarding dodgy keys and activations. I used reddit for two pcs built last year and had no problems before or after I upgraded to windows 10.
    Hi. Thanks for that. so if i buy a product key on Reddit and then upgrade to windows 10 everything will be fine?
    i wont have a proplem after a few months saying my windows 10 is not genuine???
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

Hi. Thanks for that. so if i buy a product key on Reddit and then upgrade to windows 10 everything will be fine?
    i wont have a proplem after a few months saying my windows 10 is not genuine???
    Thanks again

Yes that's correct. As long as you are genuine when you upgrade microsoft will activate your Windows 10 installation automatically. With the latest build of Windows 10 ISO you can even do a clean installation and use your windows 7 key when it asks for the key and it will activate it no problem. You don't have to do it the old way of first installing windows 7 and then upgrading to 10. If you don't want to do a clean install and since you already have windows 7 installed you just need to buy a new key, activate it in windows and then upgrade from there using the ISO.

Yes that's correct. As long as you are genuine when you upgrade microsoft will activate your Windows 10 installation automatically. With the latest build of Windows 10 ISO you can even do a clean installation and use your windows 7 key when it asks for the key and it will activate it no problem. You don't have to do it the old way of first installing windows 7 and then upgrading to 10. If you don't want to do a clean install and since you already have windows 7 installed you just need to buy a new key, activate it in windows and then upgrade from there using the ISO.
    Thanks for all this info. I have Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. So if I buy a Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit key on Reddit it will work??? Also, should I upgrade to Windows 10, because I'm happy enough with Windows 7.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Niall

Yes buy that and you will be upgraded to windows 10 pro if you upgrade. They reason I suggest to upgrade is because you will remove any possible problems down the line with the key you buy from reddit. Depending on where the seller gets the key it may flag up some day as not genuine, it can and does happen, that's why I upgraded as soon as I could with both my keys. If you've upgrade you'll be activated by Microsoft themselves and that removes that problem. You could upgrade to 10 so that Microsoft activates you and then downgrade back to 7 if you want. If your key ever stops working you should be able to reinstall 10 and still be active because Microsoft will have stored your eligibility from when you upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Has anyone advised you to go back to where you purchased the PC?

Can you complain / get a refund regarding the duplicate key and that can go towards a new license? Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

This guy seems to have genuine product keys. Has more than a hundred positive feedbacks and no negatives in almost a year of selling.

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-32-64-bit-license-product-key/9182082

Ultimate is €40 but that Home Premium I linked is only 15 quid. I'm not sure if a Home Premium key will work with your installed Ultimate version, but even if it doesn't, it's easy to do a clean install.

• Advertisement

Yes buy that and you will be upgraded to windows 10 pro if you upgrade. They reason I suggest to upgrade is because you will remove any possible problems down the line with the key you buy from reddit. Depending on where the seller gets the key it may flag up some day as not genuine, it can and does happen, that's why I upgraded as soon as I could with both my keys. If you've upgrade you'll be activated by Microsoft themselves and that removes that problem. You could upgrade to 10 so that Microsoft activates you and then downgrade back to 7 if you want. If your key ever stops working you should be able to reinstall 10 and still be active because Microsoft will have stored your eligibility from when you upgraded.
    Thanks a million for that info. I've been scouring the web for info and asking everyone I can bit getting conflicting suggestions. I'm gonna run with what you have told me and will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again.
    Niall

Advertisement