Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenets Rights

Options
  • 29-12-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi There,
    I was sharing a one bedroom flat with my friend and I gave my notice a month ago.I paid up my rent till the 1st. I've been away the last few weeks as iv'e been on holidays I came back today to clear out my stuff and the place is ready to rent for the next tenets and my stuff is gone as the landlord obviously took them.I rang my landlord but no word yet. If he did dump my stuff what are my rights and what can i do to get compensated etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hi OP,

I've moved this to the Accommodation and Property forum as it's more suited to your question, best of luck.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How long had you been there? Was your friend still there? Did your lease have a break clause?

Bottom line is that if your rent is paid the landlord has no right to enter the property without prior agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carldelaney95

Hi There,
    My friend went home for the Christmas aswell .I never signed a contract .
    I just paid the rent and i got a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi There,
    My friend went home for the Christmas aswell .I never signed a contract .
    I just paid the rent and i got a receipt.

When did you move in?

Around the 27th of September .The rent was paid up till the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Around the 27th of September .The rent was paid up till the 1st.
    The 1st of what? December?

1st of January

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi There,
    I was sharing a one bedroom flat with my friend and I gave my notice a month ago.I paid up my rent till the 1st.
    As it's a 1 bed flat, and you had no lease, did your mate have a lease? Who did you pay your deposit to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Where is your friend's stuff?

Did you pay the money to your friend and is there a possibility this was not being paid to the land lord?

The LL would not be preparing the place for the next tenants if rent was being paid and no notice was given, s(he) wouldn't know anything was amiss and the tenancy would carry on as normal. But, if your friend gave notice and took all your stuff or rent not being paid, then that is a different issue, you cannot expect your stuff to be there indefinitely.

Lastly, if your friend was the only occupant that the LL was aware of, and he was informed that she was moving out, then as far as he was concerned your stuff was abandoned by your friend.

I think your first call should be to your friend, my guess is the LL has never heard of you.

Advertisement