Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Abroad

• 29-12-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys

Ive been looking into doing a TEFL course lately but ive seen a few different ones, CELTA JET etc and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on which actually works best for teaching in Asia?

I was also planning on doing a bog stabdard tefl course with i-to-i but now I've seen some bad report,would anyone have some recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Where do you want to go?

What's your motivation - money or long term career?

JET is for Japan only. CELTA is a qualification. Asia is a big place and every country is different in terms of ESL market, visa requirements and so on. Maybe if you give some more information on where you want to go, it'll be easier to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annie93

Where do you want to go?

What's your motivation - money or long term career?

JET is for Japan only. CELTA is a qualification. Asia is a big place and every country is different in terms of ESL market, visa requirements and so on. Maybe if you give some more information on where you want to go, it'll be easier to advise.

To be honest I was thinking Thailand Vietnam maybe,I'm really just looking at options! My motivation is a change of scenery haha, its something I've always wanted to do - not so much a long term plan but not hoping to make a fortune out of it either. Just looking for a good experience -I'm 22 so a good time is most important!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

For Vietnam a CELTA is advised. I've never worked there but that's what I've read.

A good way to save money would be to take the CELTA in Vietnam. It would also give you more options when you finish. You'll have built up contacts and know the lay of the land better.

You don't need many( if any) qualifications for Thailand. I would say though that the pay is extremely low. I spent a month there last year on holidays and met some English teachers and what they were living on was pittance. I felt like a total a**hole because one guy said 'i'd love to move to Japan but the set up costs are too high' and I said 'oh you could do it for $2000' and everyone at the table laughed. They said that it would take over 6 months to save $2000. That blew me away. So if you choose to go to Thailand make sure you have enough savings for emergencies and definitely always keep enough for a plane ticket home.

Do you have your degree? I'm not 100% on the visa laws in Vietnam but it might be a requirement. I'm also not sure what's changed since I was looking at jobs there. I'm getting out of the teaching game so don't keep very up to date (look for better jobs) anymore.

Advertisement