Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I may have been wrong about the coloured mirrors :)

The interior of the first one above posted by the op also only has a plastic steering wheel and gearknob, the same as the Terra. Not sure if all the pre facelift sol's are like that or not. The Luna seems to have a nicer interior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The seats in prefacelift sols are rotten too. Like a nursing home. Yeah they have the plastic wheel alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Not 100% sure but we bought a new Yaris Sol in 01 and it came with Alloys as standard

The sols had horrible wheel trims that sort of looked like flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Bought ours in Apr 01 and it defo had alloys. Did not pay extra for alloys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

I didn't see anyone posting in regards to the rear wheel bearings that can go on the Yaris.
    Decent pattern replacements will be around E150-170ish. These are the only real mechanical bugbear that I'm aware of. Sealed units so you have to replace the wholestub axle assembly. Get the car on a liftor stands & spin the wheels while listening for the rumble, or during a drive there may be an annoying whine foot the rear present if they are on the way out.

Another common issue are the gaskets on the rear light units perishing.
    This'll allow ingress of water; fold back the carpet in the boot and check underneath for dampness, look in the spare wheel well also.
    I have not yet sorted these out on my Yari but will need to soon as I'm finding the windows fogged up more often when the car stands unused for a few days.
    I believe these are a Toyota part only & don't know how much they are but I suppose you could always bodge it with sealant dependant on bulb access.... I can't say for sure as I've never had to replace a bulb in over 3 years of ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I liked those. Suited the teddy bear character of the car.

nearly bought Ronal Teddy bears a few years ago for her one. would have looked class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

nearly bought Ronal Teddy bears a few years ago for her one. would have looked class.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Ronal+Teddy&oq=Ronal+Teddy&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.1250j0j4&client=ms-android-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=JAshTl1uQaQYjM%3A

Yeah baby! 😀

On mobile, can't embed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Great car for the recent floods also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlH7YIk3nMA

:)

dieselbug wrote: »

what's amazing there is that she's smoking a fag and on the phone at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Pretty surprised at that as the air intake is pretty low :confused:

bow wave, like a boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thanks for the chuckle, that's ****ing incredible!

what's amazing there is that she's smoking a fag and on the phone at the time

Infairness I don't think there's any law against being on a mobile phone whilst being in command of a ship :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Madness, "Probably the best build aqua vehicle in the World!"

Did the car behind her "vessel" stall in the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I may have been wrong about the coloured mirrors :)

No probs, any wise words on what the T3 model is? Specs?

The seats in prefacelift sols are rotten too. Like a nursing home. Yeah they have the plastic wheel alright.

So should I not look for a 2001 SOL but LUNA?

I am going to check out these cars this week

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-petrol-5-doors-nct-february-17/11174169
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2001-2-keys/10943630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've owned three Yaris's. Great car, never an ounce of trouble but I pre-sale inspected a good few on behalf of a friend and they were all very suspect. You need a full service history with that engine. It will go forever, but only if maintained (Of which there is little and extremely cost friendly)

Small patches of rust, door / window seals, water pump and wheel bearings would be my top things to look out for. Handbrake cables, as said before, can tend to slack but not a big issue. Gear box can feel a shade loose if you are used to a 'tighter' car. On the test drive I'd go right through the box in both directions and ensure its a smooth binding. They are also a learner car of choice, so a full body check for damage and a decent clutch examination would be called for. In the higher mileage, I'd definitely be looking for the water pump and clutch to be done as they do tend to go. Finally, the lights can fade / yellow but a polish will see them right.

If you want some fun, I would look at the 1.5 Vitz model. They are usually very high spec as most if not all were imports. Great fun :)

Thanks Ironclaw, good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty surprised at that as the air intake is pretty low :confused:

Intake in the yaris is very high, nearly at the top of the engine. Drove thru many a flood in a yaris that I would not take on in any other car

Poncke wrote: »

Id prefer pre-facelift Luna to sol. But tbh at that age you go for the best example.
    In my experience of buying Yariss, most of them showing online are sold already.

My gut feeling is you should hold off for the right facelift model to come up.

What about this uk import t3 model?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-tax-and-test/11137023
    Just on this it's obviously had a front bumper changed as it has coloured rubbing strips and fogs. Probable previous accident.

T2, T3, Blue, T Spirit were only on the facelift Yaris,
    Before that you had S, GS, GLS, CDX, and Colour Collection (which was also on the facelift)

I'm gonna do a definitive guide to MK1 Yariss as I don't think it's been done anywhere, will be useful to have on the forum (at least I think), Will update pics over time.

Pre-facelift Yaris Irish specs (1999- mid 2003)

E
    Manual windows, manual locking, Cassette player, plastic steering wheel, plastic gearknob, unassisted steering, black bumpers, black handles. slide/recline rear seat, 13 inch steel wheels

Terra
    14 inch steel wheels, Power steering, Semi colour coded bumpers, colour coded handles, manual mirrors, front electric windows, central locking, dual airbags

Luna adds to Terra
    Fully colour coded bumpers, leather steering wheel and gearknob, nicer seats.

Sol adds to Terra
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Chrome Grille, Electric mirrors, Remote locking, CD player, height adjustable seat, velour interior trim

Pre-facelift Yaris UK specs (1999- mid 2003)
    Prefacelift_UK_interiors.jpg

Prefacelift_UK_exteriors.jpg
    S
    Manual windows, manual mirrors, manual locking, unassisted steering, plastic steering wheel, plastic gearknob, semi colour coded bumpers, black handles, slide/recline rear seat, 13 inch steel wheels, Cassette player

GS adds to S:
    14 inch steel wheels, power steering, colour coded handles, manual mirrors, front electric windows, central locking, dual airbags, rear headrests, ABS (from early 2001)

Colour Collection adds to GS:
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Leather steering wheel and gearknob.

GLS adds to GS:
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Chrome Grille, Electric mirrors, Manual sunroof, Height adjustable seat.

CDX adds to GLS:
    Satellite Navigation, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Remote Locking, Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob (from 2001)

Facelift Yaris Irish specs (mid 2003-late 2005)

Terra
    Coloured bumpers, ABS, Dual airbags, CD player, Front electric windows, coloured handles,

Luna adds to Terra
    Silver inserts in doors and heater, rear headrests, remote locking, leather gearknob

Sol adds to Luna
    14 inch alloys, front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, electric mirrors, lesther wheel

Blue adds to Sol (2004 -2005)
    Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio (no elec mirrors or alloys)

Strata adds to Blue (2005 onwards)
    Alloy wheels

Facelift Yaris UK Specs (mid 2003-late 2005)
    f_ACELIFT_UK_INTERIORS.jpg

Facelift_YARIS_UK_Exterior.jpg

T2
    Colour coded bumpers
    Power Steering
    Drivers airbag
    Manual Windows
    Manual locking
    Rear headrests
    ABS

T3 adds to T2
    Passenger and side airbags
    Front electric Windows
    Remote central locking with double locking
    CD Player
    Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob

T-Spirit adds to T3
    Air conditioning, Manual sunroof, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, remote audio, satin silver trim on doors, gearknob and heater, colour coded mirrors

Colour Collection adds to T3
    Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio. Colour coded mirrors

Blue adds to Colour Collection
    Alloy wheels

Hey guys, I went to see 2 cars and I am totally on the fence now and want to see if you can shine a light for me

Car 1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2001-2-keys/10943630
    Car was transferred to another owner a month ago so I expect this to be a dealer. We met on a Lidl car park instead of at the home or garage. Car looked good, clear headlights, scratches here and there, 2 new tires, engine looked clean, electrics seem to work, 2 keys, however the key with the central locking buttons wasnt working and one button to open the car was gone. So the key needs to be replaced. Also the text on the control buttons for windows, mirror and locking was almost gone. When driving the car I noticed the the clutch was really tight, not sure if that is a good thing, it felt really solid, but too good in my opinion. Not sure if thats a problem. LOL. When taking a turn, and steering maximum there was no sound coming from the power steering, which is good I reckon. The car had a logbook and had a service history over the years (I guess this could easily be counterfeited), but it was there. I couldnt get answers to my questions as the guy was a deaf Kuwaiti person with a lack of English. Anway, clean interior, clean engine, just a few niggles that dont sit right with me, but I might have it wrong. 1500 euro no negotiations.

Car 2
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-petrol-5-doors-nct-february-17/11174169
    Car owner had it for a year and 4 owners before them. Sailed through NCT, recently done, looked after and serviced by a friend mechanic. Owner was a young woman, clean car inside out, few scratches here and there. Foggy headlights, electrics all seem to work except for central locking. The text on the control buttons for the mirrors, windows and locking was still fully intact. When locking the car with key or button, the passenger door does not respond, the other 3 doors work fine. When using the key in the passenger side, all 4 doors open and close. Car only had one key, without central locking buttons. No service history with the car, they got it like this. When driving the car the clutch felt a lot looser than the previous Yaris, but kind of what I would expect in a car like this. When turning the steering wheel fully I could hear the power steering work. Car seemed to have been taken car of. Clean interior, clean engine, overall looks like a good car, but the central locking and missing service history have me on the fence. 2000 euro, open for negotiations.

Thanks

I wouldn't be buying either of those tbh. At a push the second one, but get someone to diagnose the steering noise. Central locking issue should be simple to rectify. At €2k and 15 years old you shouldn't have to be spending more on getting the car right.

I wouldn't be buying either of those tbh. At a push the second one, but get someone to diagnose the steering noise. Central locking issue should be simple to rectify. At €2k and 15 years old you shouldn't have to be spending more on getting the car right.

Fair enough, just to learn from your assessment, why would you not buy them? And if you'd buy the second one as is, at what price?

Thanks again

I just don't think the clutch sounds normal for a Yaris, they should be pretty light clutch. Also buying from a casual trader gives you no idea of what the previous owner was like.
    Second one as is might be €17-1800 but I honestly think you'll eventually see a Nice facelift model for around the €2500 mark.

I just don't think the clutch sounds normal for a Yaris, they should be pretty light clutch. Also buying from a casual trader gives you no idea of what the previous owner was like.
    Second one as is might be €17-1800 but I honestly think you'll eventually see a Nice facelift model for around the €2500 mark.

Thanks, I did mention my budget was 2500 euro, but I have lowered my budget to 2000, so my options are a bit more limited. I like the second one as it has reasonable mileage, 130,000km. I will see if I can get someone to check the power steering, but they wont let me drive the car much because of insurance reasons, unless I have fully comp. Maybe I just need to wait for a car comes available with a service history and fully working central locking. How much would it cost to order a second key with functioning buttons?

Just to note, the odometer reading on those is always miles, regardless of whether the speedometer is set to miles or km. so if it's 130,000 on the clock, it's miles.
    Don't worry about the service history, you will struggle to find a 15 year old car with full history.
    I think a key would be less than €100.
    If you're serious about the car, get seller to meet you near mechanics, go, check it out, make cheeky offer of €1400, see what happens, work upwards if necessary.
    Don't put the car down, just put it in such a way that you want the car perfect and it'll cost you money to do so, you have other cars to look at, money in bank waiting etc

You don't need to get one with a full service history. There are genuine jems out there with no service history that have still been well looked after. It's pretty easy to spot a good one from a bad one if you know what your looking for.

If you know a mechanic that could inspect a car with you it might be your best bet.

• Advertisement

Wow, didnt know about the km-miles thing. Thats good to know. Hmmm, I might just keep looking then. Thats too much mileage for my liking.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You don't need to get one with a full service history. There are genuine jems out there with no service history that have still been well looked after. It's pretty easy to spot a good one from a bad one if you know what your looking for.

If you know a mechanic that could inspect a car with you it might be your best bet.

Problem is I dont know what to look for and I dont have a mechanic that could come with me.

I was mistaken, both cars did not have an owner change in the past 3 months. Car 1, with the solid clutch just came back to me, selling because he bought a bigger car, 4 owners and gearbox has not been changed.

Nah, you'l beat €2500 by the time it's VRT'd, taxed, tested and on the road.

Right, thanks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11224307

Facelift, good colour, high spec, 1.3, low miles,good bit of test and a bit of tax.

That's worth a look.

Car seems genuine based on its U.K. MOTs but it hasn't been mot'd since 2014 so you'd be ncting it yourself.
    It's an odd one to be be bringing in as the exchange rates aren't favourable. The cynic in me wonders why someone would bother importing one then not paying the vrt.
    Best case scenario you'd probably finish at €2200.

On the other hand it could be a cracker, looks in great shape,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11224307

Facelift, good colour, high spec, 1.3, low miles,good bit of test and a bit of tax.

That's worth a look.

Looks good indeed. I wanted a 1 litre engine, mainly because of low tax and high mpg. Would the 1.3 be as good an engine as the 1ltr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's better.

Car seems genuine based on its U.K. MOTs but it hasn't been mot'd since 2014 so you'd be ncting it yourself.
    It's an odd one to be be bringing in as the exchange rates aren't favourable. The cynic in me wonders why someone would bother importing one then not paying the vrt.
    Best case scenario you'd probably finish at €2200.

On the other hand it could be a cracker, looks in great shape,

Weird to be located in kerry? Can't have had it longer than 6 months in Ireland on uk plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Looks good indeed. I wanted a 1 litre engine, mainly because of low tax and high mpg. Would the 1.3 be as good an engine as the 1ltr?

Just not as good as the 1ltr but near equal
    Can't go wrong on Toyota's

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's better.
    Cheers.

159 euros more tax but seems a good car but will check it out

The 1.3 is a nicer drive and just as economical. Tax is a little dearer but the tax price difference is a small price to compromise on if the rest of the car suits.

The 1.3 is a nicer drive and just as economical. Tax is a little dearer but the tax price difference is a small price to compromise on if the rest of the car suits.

Yep fair point. Will go for it

• Advertisement

One thing with 1.3 is it's not nearly as desirable to the average punter as a 1.0
    It is of course a lovely engine to have in it and makes the car way nicer to drive, but it is nearly twice the tax, more insurance etc etc.
    fuel economy is around the same, and is more economical at motorway speed.
    The Yaris is easily the best 1.0 car out there, but once you start talking 1.3 engines the argument starts to fall apart as there are loads of great 1.3 cars out there that are newer for similar money.

Hmmm, good points. Thanks again, something to consider as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I know it's all about a recent car but 1.3 starlet was and probably still is the best 1.3 engine ever built

The other side of it is that it's an 04 t spirit model for €2250. It's a lot cheaper and newer than a 1.0

The photos are dreadful, so it's hard to tell what the car is like, but you can see it's got rotten alloys and the front bumper isn't lining up right on the passenger side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One thing with 1.3 is it's not nearly as desirable to the average punter as a 1.0
    It is of course a lovely engine to have in it and makes the car way nicer to drive, but it is nearly twice the tax, more insurance etc etc.
    fuel economy is around the same, and is more economical at motorway speed.
    The Yaris is easily the best 1.0 car out there, but once you start talking 1.3 engines the argument starts to fall apart as there are loads of great 1.3 cars out there that are newer for similar money.

Yep, your then into Corolla hatchback territory:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-hatchbach/11221280

• Advertisement
Advertisement