Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If going for a 1.3 you'd be better off with a 1.4 vvti 02-03 corolla, that's if a larger car will suit that is.

In a Yaris the 1.0 makes more sense in this country. That's really one of their key selling points, a smooth and reliable relatively modern 1.0 4 cylinder engine that has very low running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Or even newer Suzuki swifts.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If going for a 1.3 you'd be better off with a 1.4 vvti 02-03 corolla, that's if a larger car will suit that is.

In a Yaris the 1.0 makes more sense in this country. That's really one of their key selling points, a smooth and reliable relatively modern 1.0 4 cylinder engine that has very low running costs.

This is pretty much it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thanks guys, but I need to stick to the 1ltr engine :) it's about cost, second car, baby on the way, need to stay focused on the economic part :D

Wonder why it's got a jap import rear bumper!

Well I don't wonder too much, the rear bumpers on Yariss often get damaged from parking as the bottom half is metal, but obviously check for damage in the spare wheel well incase it got a proper smack

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wonder why it's got a jap import rear bumper!

Well I don't wonder too much, the rear bumpers on Yariss often get damaged from parking as the bottom half is metal, but obviously check for damage in the spare wheel well.

How do you see all that stuff? :)

This one?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/very-good-first-car-with-tax-till-january-2016/11035614

I'm the Yaris whisperer.....

That silver one looks like a belter, I'd def go see that.

I'm the Yaris whisperer.....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't suppose the tsport 1.8 yaris is bit much ? Only ever seen one
    Quick feckin things

The thing is, If you want a good yaris you'll need to check done deal on a regular basis and be prepared to go and view there and then. The good ones usually sell very fast, the genuine bargains even faster.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Poncke wrote: »

Actually looks fairly decent . In good Nick by looks of it.

It looks good if the pictures are anything to go by. It's strange that it's still not sold after 33 days however.

The thing is, If you want a good yaris you'll need to check done deal on a regular basis and be prepared to go and view there and then. The good ones usually sell very fast, the genuine bargains even faster.

Yep, when I was looking for one for her indoors, we went to Dublin especially and basically watched donedeal on a Saturday waiting for one to come up, at that stage around 70% of the decent ones advertised were already sold but still up. We went to see 3 during the day within an hour of them being posted but didn't like them, One came up at around 7 o clock, we were there by 715 and your man honestly had 7 or 8 calls while we're with him asking about the car.

So yeah, if there's one up for 33 days, it's usually sold or is an absolute heap, or he was asking 5 grand for it until today!

It looks good if the pictures are anything to go by. It's strange that it's still not sold after 33 days however.

Yep. I'll keep that in mind

Yep, when I was looking for one for her indoors, we went to Dublin especially and basically watched donedeal on a Saturday waiting for one to come up, at that stage around 70% of the decent ones advertised were already sold but still up. We went to see 3 during the day within an hour of them being posted but didn't like them, One came up at around 7 o clock, we were there by 715 and your man honestly had 7 or 8 calls while we're with him asking about the car.

So yeah, if there's one up for 33 days, it's usually sold or is an absolute heap, or he was asking 5 grand for it until today!
    I had a similar experience to that. When viewing it the sellers phone was hopping. Luckily I had called within a minute of the ad going up and was the first caller.

That one never came up before, must be a price drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motortax website doesn't show any change of ownership or VLC issued in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Don't suppose the tsport 1.8 yaris is bit much ? Only ever seen one
    Quick feckin things

I've toyed with the idea of getting one in the new body shape. There's one in Waterford for ages. But whats holding me back is the lack of scope and power versus the size of the block. I don't think they push out much more than 150 bhp from a 1.8 (Open to correction) The older body Vitz or Vitz Turbo would be my preference as I believe the block is far more tunable, the 1.8 needs a lot of work.

• Advertisement

That one never came up before, must be a price drop

The silver one in Wicklow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10813278

Not a facelift orevena high spec model but 15 months test and it's very honest looking.

Being sold by a part time dealer who actually has another Yaris aswell, but could be worth a look depending on your location.

Definitely agree with the lads, you have to be ready to move on these cars, good ones will go in hours.

I am going to check out the one in Wicklow on Saturday, I asked why it hadnt been sold yet but he had no idea why not. Seems like a good car, selling because his family came over to Ireland 3 months ago and needed a bigger car. Could hear a baby crying in the background. He drove the car for 1.5 years without any issues, timing belt been changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Did he say timing chain or belt?

Yaris dont have a timing belt.

That model has a chain, some can stetch over time, if not given decent oil changes.

Muckie wrote: »
    Did he say timing chain or belt?

Yaris dont have a timing belt.

That model has a chain, some can stetch over time, if not given decent oil changes.

He said chain :) got that mixed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Hey guys, I went to see 2 cars and I am totally on the fence now and want to see if you can shine a light for me

Car 1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2001-2-keys/10943630
    Car was transferred to another owner a month ago so I expect this to be a dealer. We met on a Lidl car park instead of at the home or garage. Car looked good, clear headlights, scratches here and there, 2 new tires, engine looked clean, electrics seem to work, 2 keys, however the key with the central locking buttons wasnt working and one button to open the car was gone. So the key needs to be replaced. Also the text on the control buttons for windows, mirror and locking was almost gone. When driving the car I noticed the the clutch was really tight, not sure if that is a good thing, it felt really solid, but too good in my opinion. Not sure if thats a problem. LOL. When taking a turn, and steering maximum there was no sound coming from the power steering, which is good I reckon. The car had a logbook and had a service history over the years (I guess this could easily be counterfeited), but it was there. I couldnt get answers to my questions as the guy was a deaf Kuwaiti person with a lack of English. Anway, clean interior, clean engine, just a few niggles that dont sit right with me, but I might have it wrong. 1500 euro no negotiations.

Car 2
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-petrol-5-doors-nct-february-17/11174169
    Car owner had it for a year and 4 owners before them. Sailed through NCT, recently done, looked after and serviced by a friend mechanic. Owner was a young woman, clean car inside out, few scratches here and there. Foggy headlights, electrics all seem to work except for central locking. The text on the control buttons for the mirrors, windows and locking was still fully intact. When locking the car with key or button, the passenger door does not respond, the other 3 doors work fine. When using the key in the passenger side, all 4 doors open and close. Car only had one key, without central locking buttons. No service history with the car, they got it like this. When driving the car the clutch felt a lot looser than the previous Yaris, but kind of what I would expect in a car like this. When turning the steering wheel fully I could hear the power steering work. Car seemed to have been taken car of. Clean interior, clean engine, overall looks like a good car, but the central locking and missing service history have me on the fence. 2000 euro, open for negotiations.

Thanks

My generic advice regarding mk1 yaris : Don't focus on the price and don't be afraid to pay more for a newer cleaner example as you will get your money back when you sell it in a year time. They hold their value well.

• Advertisement

I am going to check out the one in Wicklow on Saturday, I asked why it hadnt been sold yet but he had no idea why not. Seems like a good car, selling because his family came over to Ireland 3 months ago and needed a bigger car. Could hear a baby crying in the background. He drove the car for 1.5 years without any issues, timing belt been changed.

Do you know what area of Wicklow? If it's nearby I don't mind taking a look with you if you aren't confident yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10813278

Not a facelift orevena high spec model but 15 months test and it's very honest looking.

Being sold by a part time dealer who actually has another Yaris aswell, but could be worth a look depending on your location.

Definitely agree with the lads, you have to be ready to move on these cars, good ones will go in hours.
    That's true I bought one last July 12 months. It was advertised on done deal by a dealer in Kerry early one Saturday morning, I drove 40 miles to the garage on the spot and snapped it up. I was after looking at another one that was selling private on done deal a few days beforehand. It was on a while and the name and location on the log book didn't match where the car was at. When I questioned the seller he said it was his father in laws car and they never changed ownership, alarm bells rang and I left. You also need to check things out as well.

Do you know what area of Wicklow? If it's nearby I don't mind taking a look with you if you aren't confident yourself.

Thats the nicest thing. It is in Bray, Saturday 11am. If it is not too much trouble, I would definitely take your offer, wouldnt mind you to come over and potentially save me from buying a dud.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11232542

Admittedly price is a bit high for a Terra spec 2000 model, but it's taxed and tested and looks very tidy. Probably good scope to haggle maybe €150~ off. Little bit of security for you being a dealer sale too.

Will drop you a pm!

Fanboy, will you drop me a pm? :)

Will be in Bray around 11am.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Well that turned out to be a heap. Rear bumper lower part had different color silver in my opinion. Bumper also looked bogdy on the corner from a hit or something. Hole in the rear light. Central locking passenger side not working. Car had spots all around. Alloys all had damage. Inside was not really clean, big spot on backseat. Steering wheel had signs of bad wear and tear. Also noticed car had done 30000 miles since July 14. And when wanting to take the car for test drive it wouldn't start until after 5 tries. So I politely passed on buying it. What irked me the most is that the seller was trying to wave away all my concerns. He dropped the price to 2400 but that was a fruitless attempt.

Well that turned out to be a heap. Rear bumper lower part had different color silver in my opinion. Bumper also looked bogdy on the corner from a hit or something. Hole in the rear light. Central locking passenger side not working. Car had spots all around. Alloys all had damage. Inside was not really clean, big spot on backseat. Steering wheel had signs of bad wear and tear. Also noticed car had done 30000 miles since July 14. And when wanting to take the car for test drive it wouldn't start until after 5 tries. So I politely passed on buying it. What irked me the most is that the seller was trying to wave away all my concerns. He dropped the price to 2400 but that was a fruitless attempt.
    Onwards and upwards. What you describe is the reason it hasn't been snapped up. I wouldn't take any notice of the different color lower part of the bumper (if what's behind it wasn't damaged) as that area of the bumper is prone to knocks. I also wouldn't dismiss a car on it doing 30k miles in a year and a half(if all else was good). The starting after 5 tries could be it just flooded which is no big deal.

In general though the car sounds like a poor example. For that kind of money you can get a much better example. Just keep a very close eye on donedeal. If I spot anything myself on there I'll be sure to post it on here for you. :)

Very hard to tell tbh. The photos are pretty bad, the car is wet and it's black.
    Absence of wheel trims and rear wiper would suggest that it might be a bit rough, but you won't find out till you see it.
    As it is its underpriced for an 04. There's probably a reason.

Worth pointing out that the seller has a good few cars for sale.
    You'd imagine a trader would have an idea of what the car is worth, asking price is quite low and he'll have bought it for a bit less than the asking price.
    You have to ask yourself how all that's possible :)

I'd put money on it being as rough as a bears ar$e

More likely a lump of coal than a gem. But if it's local, there's no harm in going for a look.

He said there's a yellow light burning on the dash. Lambda sonde has to be replaced? Other than that car is good he says. Polish fellow, already has 3 viewers tomorrow morning.

Let one of them buy it!

Let one of them buy it!

I made the appointment just now. You think it's better to pass?

Gonna pass, that engine light can't be good.

Seller knows more about the car than you do!

Seller knows more about the car than you do!

Don't they always? :)

• Advertisement

If it was a cheap fix, you can be sure it would be done and he'd be asking top money.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/price-drop/10845055

Looks alright. Been on sale for a month though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-yaris-nct-until-jan-17/10830670

Looks alright too, but has 175k miles

So how much are you spending now!?

So how much are you spending now!?

Well, its hard to find something I want for under 2k, so 2000-2500. Rather spend as little as possible, but also want a bit of a proper Yaris.

I like the Luna or Sol model, I like the facelift 2003 onwards, dont care about color. Mileage not too high. So its a hard find, but I have to wait till the right car pops up. Just need one within 3 months.

You'll find one in the next few weeks no problem.

Cheers.

Here's a clean car, bit pricey
    http://www.dalyautos.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1238432&r=

Here's a genuine looking example, or at least that's how it looks on my phone :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0l-70k-mls-new-nct-01-2017/11203547
    50632861.jpeg

Cool thanks, what's the link to the actual add?

Cool thanks, what's the link to the actual add?

Right above the picture

• Advertisement

Doh ;)

Advertisement