Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris advice

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Poncke

Going to see it after work.

Looking at it, car sounds to good to be true, which has me thinking.

Anyway, we will see

Already sold

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For sale a long time, I wonder if it's still around? Looks nice enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If I was looking for a yaris I'm not sure I'd look at any of those tbh. Definatly not the first 2 anyway.

There's a good one in Cork, just too far away. Few in Donegal and Sligo too. But I really need to find one around Dublin Meath Kilkenny.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If I was looking for a yaris I'm not sure I'd look at any of those tbh. Definatly not the first 2 anyway.

What do you think is wrong with the green one?

• Advertisement

Poncke wrote: »
    There's a good one in Cork, just too far away. Few in Donegal and Sligo too. But I really need to find one around Dublin Meath Kilkenny.
    Is cork really that far away when you are considering going as far as Kilkenny?:)

Cork is 3 hours Kilkenny is 1 :)

What do you think is wrong with the green one?

Not a whole lot really but It has high mileage and it's top money. For that money I'd be expecting something a little cleaner with less miles tbh.

Cork is 3 hours Kilkenny is 1 :)

Fair enough but if the one in cork is really that good it might be view :)

Have you a link to it?

Fair enough but if the one in cork is really that good it might be view :)

Have you a link to it?

[url]Https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/yaris-1-0/11290080[/url] cheers

I think I'd prefer the one in Kilkenny tbh :)

I think I'd prefer the one in Kilkenny tbh :)

Cool. Just weird that it's been on sale for 32 days

Cool. Just weird that it's been on sale for 32 days
    That's the thing. It's very unusual to see them for sale that long. Then again it might be a fine car but it's fair distance to travel if it turns out to be a dog.

That's the thing. It's very unusual to see them for sale that long. Then again it might be a fine car but it's fair distance to travel if it turns out to be a dog.

It's ok. I can get some lunch with the missus in maynooth. Go for a walk in donadea. All good :)

Guys I am buying a Yaris right now but have to wait an hour before getting the papers signed.

The car seems genuine. Same owner for 8 years. 90k miles. 2004. Female driver.

Everything seems fine. But the engine has a slight rattle in idle and when throttle lightly. When driving it seems to go away. Car been parked for 5 months. It's a genuine car, genuine seller, genuine story. Is that rattle normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

They can idle very low it takes them a little rev to smooth out but there shouldn't be a rattle tbh

It might not be a rattle, i think there is. Problem is i don't know what it should sound like.

So did you buy it?

On a side note. Pretty sure I saw that maroon 3 door on uk plates that was in Kerry yesterday. Was for sale in a dealer in Limerick.

So did you buy it?

On a side note. Pretty sure I saw that maroon 3 door on uk plates that was in Kerry yesterday. Was for sale in a dealer in Limerick.

Minor rattle mightn't be anything, water pumps can be a little chattery, but you don't want it to be a timing chain rattle. A mechanic would tell you in 30 seconds.

Sigh. I bought it. No turning back.

I have a massive doubt now. Could be the timing belt. Should have listened to the voice in my head. The rattle didn't go away after driving it home. It drove well though. Nice car.

But also noticed coming home that it feels like stalling in first gear when pulling up before it picks up speed. There's is a low noise coming from the carburetor, in the beginning as if it gets too much air or drowning. But when normal throttle is applied it runs normal. Probably because it was parked for 5 months. Needs a good drive and love.

Aye why why why.

Anyhow, I am sure its fixable. It can't be bad considering the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I reckon it's sound. They all do that in first gear. You have to give it a good rev. We have one that's doing the same for the last 40k. In the beginning I thought the same as you and I know cars! Don't worry. At idle they all shudder when they have warmed up. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Engine can be rattly. And the induction noise from the carb can be loud if you are not used to it. It's the type of engine and car that if something is wrong, you'll know about it straight away as sound really moves through the body. I had a 99 and often when people were in it they said it sounded rough or needed attention, that was just the car as I knew it was mechanically perfect.

The only thing I would maybe check is the water pump if it hasn't been changed. At higher mileages they are known to go and from recollection, it's a few years ago now,mine created a slight rattle at idle as the impeller had broken off.

Happy Motoring!

Engine can be rattly. And the induction noise from the carb can be loud if you are not used to it. It's the type of engine and car that if something is wrong, you'll know about it straight away as sound really moves through the body. I had a 99 and often when people were in it they said it sounded rough or needed attention, that was just the car as I knew it was mechanically perfect.

The only thing I would maybe check is the water pump if it hasn't been changed. At higher mileages they are known to go and from recollection, it's a few years ago now,mine created a slight rattle at idle as the impeller had broken off.

Happy Motoring!

Cheers for the comforting words. The stalling seems to be a problem though. Sometimes the car just doesn't pick up for a few seconds when pulling up at a traffic lights.

Also noticed full lock steering both sides has a hard stop, not dampened.

I bought a dud :D

• Advertisement

I posted here yesterday but apparently didn't post. This site has issues for 3 days now

Edit: Hmmm now I can see the comment. Refreshing thet page repeatedly didn't show the comment.

Cheers for the comforting words. The stalling seems to be a problem though. Sometimes the car just doesn't pick up for a few seconds when pulling up at a traffic lights.

If you are at say 30km/h, put it in say 4th and put the foot down hard, does she pick up speed at the same rate as the revs? Any skip, hesitation or rapid rise in revs?
    Also noticed full lock steering both sides has a hard stop, not dampened.

Yaris has a hard stop on either side. Its not really dampened.

ironclaw wrote: »
    If you are at say 30km/h, put it in say 4th and put the foot down hard, does she pick up speed at the same rate as the revs? Any skip, hesitation or rapid rise in revs?

Cheers.

I will do the revs test later today.

ironclaw wrote: »

Cheers.

I will do the revs test later today.

Turns out the timing chain had to be replaced and a problem in the gear box / peddle box

So money well wasted

Passed nct with flying colours though :p

Advertisement