Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build

Options
  • 30-12-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This is my very first build. I am Planning to have a career in IT in the very near future. I'd like to Future proof as much as possible. Add on as I go. Quiet as well, as it will be in my front room.
    I would appreciate some recommendations on sites to purchase as well.

Thanks.

1. What is your budget? [€700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Running VMs, learning and streaming movies to an Xbox one]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [NO]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [Not sure, Basic office Dell] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Next 2 weeks. Hoping to catch the sales]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No sure Il give it ago]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6600 €250
    H110 board €100
    16gb RAM €100
    400w PSU €40
    1tb HDD €50
    120gb SSD €60
    Case €100
    Total €700

Mindfactory or computer universe are good sites to buy from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have been looking at these Motherboards. I am a bit confused about this bit of text on the DDR4 page.

"Due to Intel® chipset limitation, DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules on XMP mode will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2133 Mhz."

There does not seem to be much in the way of price difference. So I was thinking of getting the DDR4 one.
    Would this be a good choice?

Asus DDR4

Asus DDR3

You have to get a DDR4 board.

You have to get a DDR4 board.
    Thanks. Well that solves that (o:

But As I am a bit of a Noob. How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks. Well that solves that (o:

But As I am a bit of a Noob. How come?

All skylake (Socket 1151) motherboards are DDR4 as far as i know. The previous generation used DDR3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

The cheaper 1151 motherboards only take DDR3 RAM.

http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Mainboards/Desktop+Mainboards/INTEL+Sockel+1151.html

Most, if not all, on that page in the link above are 1151 mobos that only take DDR3 RAM.

@OP: DDR4 is obviously better, but the DDR3 option is there for people who want the new Skylake processors but want to spend less.

I don't know where you're buying from, but if there's not much difference between a DDR4 capable mobo and the DDR3, then go for the DDR4.

You'll have to fork out more for DDR4 RAM as well though, so keep that in mind.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

Tl;Dr DDR3 is clocked at a higher voltage than DDR4, so it can damage Skylake processors.

If you're spending €200 on a processor, spend €20 to get the recommended RAM

Definitely choose a DDR4 board IMO, or else fall back to a Haswell machine.

So this is what I am thinking.

i5 6600

H110 board: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Motherboard

16gb RAM €100: HyperX Fury Black Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 UDIMM

400w PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W Modular 80 PLUS

1tb HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

SSD I went for 250: Samsung 2.5-Inch 250 GB 850

Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 352

Total €680

How does it look. All Compatible? :)
    I am buying nearly all of it from amazon

Looks good. What's the case like?

You don't need anymore than a 250w PSU, not sure why I specced a high one. Go for a SeaSonic 400w.

Looks good. What's the case like?

You don't need anymore than a 250w PSU, not sure why I specced a high one. Go for a SeaSonic 400w.

The case has got good reviews on Amazon plus it has USB 3 on the front and a car reader.
    My only concern is that it might get to hot as its silenced.

Here is the Amazon link. But I'm getting it from Dabs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ECJH2GK/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1451812223&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX118_SY170&keywords=silent+pc+case

• Advertisement

That's grand then so, once you've good airflow in won't heat much anyways

Delivery of the processor took ages. But I finally got everything and put it together.

Turned it on and nothing. All the fans are going, but nothing coming up on the screen. They continue to cycle on and off.

I have been going through this list on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

It seems to be related to the RAM. Two sticks together it won't boot. I think one stick might be bad. It boots with one stick in both slots. But with one of the sticks. No matter what slot I put it in. It just won't boot.

Is it possible that a bad stick of ram can stop the PC from booting? Or could I be doing something else wrong?

Thanks

Yeah thats a bad RAM stick, poor luck there, you should get it RMA'd pretty easily

Ram came. Popped them in and all was hunky dory. Now just wondering how I am going to set it up.

Is it recommended to flash the bios to the latest version?

Any particular drivers should I update?

Update all the drivers

I'd flash the bios, there's normally a reason there's a new one

Update all the drivers

I'd flash the bios, there's normally a reason there's a new one

Advertisement