Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Jobs

Options
  • 30-12-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey boards, quick question. I'm currently in 6th year (as you could probably tell), which means I've a shedload of work to do and not a lot of time before my mocks. To add to that, I'm hoping to get Medicine after the Leaving, which also means I've to sit the HPAT. Now, although both my principal and parents have advised giving up the part-time work, I'm still left unsure. It's only one night a week, in a bar, and the money isn't the worst. My only qualms are that Saturday is by far my busiest day, between supervised study and grinds for French, which I study outside of school. Not only am I tired going into work, but am left completely drained for the majority of Sunday, which upsets my internal clock for the early part of the week. I know it might sound like the cons outweigh the pros, but I relatively enjoy the work, and I don't really want to leave the job as I'm only there since the start of August!
    Any help, advice or perhaps personal experiences would be gladly welcomed! I'm not sure what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

I got my job as a waiter back in TY and worked consistently through 5th year and intended on keeping the part time job up until Christmas of LC. I was doing 7/8 hour shift each Sunday which didn't seem like much but affected the amount of work I got done massively. Around October midterm I decided to take a break from work and its been the best decision. I can now go out on a Saturday night or meet up with friends and still get my homework & study done without feeling as though I've made no progress by Sunday evening. If you've made it this far with working I think it's safe to say you could give it a rest even between now and the HPAT. Even if you felt like doing a few shifts during the Easter you could always go back and hold the job for Summer. I must say that I miss the weekly payslip which is the only con haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

Without a shadow of a doubt, you should quit work. The Hpat needs as much attention as your LC does. And considering how competitive Medicine is, you're going to have to aim for a pretty high score in the Hpat. This in turn, requires setting aside some time to practise, and get familiar with the exam.
    You've only a few months to go. If you don't get what you want and end up having to repeat, you'll be kicking yourself for not having given up work to make more time for study. That's just my opinion :-)

Advertisement