Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Byrne has heart attack

• 30-12-2015 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

He's apparently recovering after a heart attack. Life wouldn't be the same without Gaybo I hope he'll be okay.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Did someone tell him Ryan Tubridy's salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gay-byrne-in-hospital-after-suffering-heart-attack-34322971.html
    Legendary broadcaster Gay Byrne (81) is recovering in hospital tonight after he suffered a heart attack.
    In a statement issued by RTÉ last night, his family said he is on the mend and asked for privacy at this time.

What does he do these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

the_syco wrote: »

Probably still getting a retainer from RTE and our licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

lukesmom wrote: »
    He's apparently recovering after a heart attack. Life wouldn't be the same without Gaybo I hope he'll be okay.

I bet that "life", for you, me and the vast majority of everybody else, will be the exact same as it ever was, irregardless of what may happen to a Irish tv celebrity

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    I bet that "life", for you, me and the vast majority of everybody else, will be the exact same as it ever was, irregardless of what may happen to a Irish tv celebrity

No doubt, but many folk have memories of the TV being on with GB waffling away, looking back it's happy childhood memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What does he do these days?

He's a trainer of truffle hunting pigs as far as I'm aware.

Augeo wrote: »
    No doubt, but many folk have memories of the TV being on with GB waffling away, looking back it's happy childhood memories.

Ah Nah he has had more comebacks than Rocky Balbao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Has a programme on RTE Lyric, or had until recently.
    Does a TV programme for RTE on peoples faith (can't think of the name).
    Was head of the RSA till recently.
    Does various voiceovers, radio programmes and other stuff for various people and companies.

Busy man for his age. He needs to slow down and enjoy life, but some people like him just need to keep moving and doing something. I wish him well nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

He was on tv3's chat show this eve, so don't know if his segment was pre recorded or if it went out live?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    He was on tv3's chat show this eve, so don't know if his segment was pre recorded or if it went out live?

Had the heart attack yesterday so pre-recorded I'd guess.

Best wishes to him for a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The man is in hospital. Show a bit of respect.

The man is in hospital. Show a bit of respect.

Who are you getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Take things literally much? It's a figure of speech. Gaybo entertained the nation on manys the Friday night and I'm sure that many would wish him a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

His family have 'asked for privacy at this time' in the article linked above, but I know, let's start a boards thread discussing his heart attack...

I do not want to be the one who tells my granny this news. She loves Gaybo, he was basically the narrator of her life and times through his radio and tv shows. He's as familiar to her as a family member.

I'd no idea he was that old, he's stayed very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

His family have 'asked for privacy at this time' in the article linked above, but I know, let's start a boards thread discussing his heart attack...

They said privacy, not secrecy.

OH WTF If they are reading this, they have their priorities wrong.

Candie wrote: »
    I do not want to be the one who tells my granny this news. She loves Gaybo, he was basically the narrator of her life through his radio and tv shows. He's as familiar to her as a family member.

I'd no idea he was that old, he's stayed very active.

IF you were on his money I'm sure you'd stay active as well.

OH WTF If they are reading this, they have their priorities wrong.

I never said anything about them reading this.

• Advertisement

Right so we can comment then.

Right so we can comment then.

I never said whether you can't or couldn't. That's not my place. I said something different, but not playing the game you're trying to play, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I saw him on the DART recently, and thought he looked extremely well for his age.

If I ever say you look 'extremely well', please see a doctor.

I know, why don't we censor all conversation about Gay Byrne throughout the country..... :rolleyes:

I never said whether you can't or couldn't. That's not my place. I said something different, but not playing the game you're trying to play, sorry.

OK what's your original comment about then :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

You said privacy... Anybody here preeping in the hospital window with a digital SLR?
    Anybody ringing Kathleen Watkins pretending to be from Dominos pizza and casually asking how the hubby is? No? Then nobody is intruding on the families privacy I'd propose

A bit of self-censorship can be a really good thing sometimes. Like not using news of someone's illness as an excuse to moan about them.

Basically, not being a dick.

Take things literally much? It's a figure of speech. Gaybo entertained the nation on manys the Friday night and I'm sure that many would wish him a speedy recovery.

It's possible to wish him a speedy recovery without being too sentimental or dramatic about it. Yes, Gaybo has been a huge part of modern Ireland but he is 81 years old now and death is inevitable for us all at some point; it's very possible that he may have another 10 or 15 years ahead of him but it's also very possible that he may not.

Anyway, it doesn't really do anyone much good to begin the eulogising while the man is in hospital!

RayM wrote: »
    A bit of self-censorship can be a really good thing sometimes. Like not using news of someone's illness as an excuse to moan about them.

Fair point Ray but afaik no one is wishing him ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Awful easy these days to act cool and take the piss or disrespect anything that came out of RTE or is more than five minutes old.
    Gay Byrne is one of the great broadcasters, not just in Ireland, but anywhere.
    In a country constrained by the church and fianna fail, he pushed boundaries, raised questions before unasked and stirred a nations conscience.
    Mock all you want, but in Ireland in the sixties and seventies, he was virtually alone in all media in standing up to church and state.
    He was such a consumate broadcaster that he could have playful chat with a movie star and an intimate in depth interview with local Joe in the same programme and be comfortable and sincere in both. There is literally no-one who can do the same.
    He was approached by big broadcasters in the UK and US and I think we're lucky he stayed.
    The only one in RTE to ever deserve his salary. And then some

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

Gaybo if you're reading this ,get well soon we are rootin for you, best wishes
    WTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

One of his closest friends died recently.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/professor-dr-austin-darragh-passes-away-aged-88-31586337.html

Hope he's going to be alright. Like listening to him on Lyric the odd time and The Meaning of Life is good too.

Although, no doubt he will no longer be up to broadcasting at the same level again. Fingers crossed he will do be up to some level of broadcasting again though.

Fair point Ray but afaik no one is wishing him ill.

No, just the usual money-obsessed whining. There's a time and a place for going on (and on) about someone's salary, and I'm not convinced that a thread about their heart attack is it, tb perfectly h with you.

Yeah, I agree, I wish him a speedy recovery too, but the reality is this, old people get sick, old people end up in hospital. That scenario is the result of a natural life that is lived to its fullest and Gay Byrne has lived his life to the fullest, a life to be remembered. But to say that everyone else's life "will never be the same" because a natural scenario occurs, what will or may happen to me, you and everyone on this planet is just plain ridiculous. Death, sickness and old age are a natural part of actual human existence.

Awful easy these days to act cool and take the piss or disrespect anything that came out of RTE or is more than five minutes old.
    Gay Byrne is one of the great broadcasters, not just in Ireland, but anywhere.
    In a country constrained by the church and fianna fail, he pushed boundaries, raised questions before unasked and stirred a nations conscience.
    Mock all you want, but in Ireland in the sixties and seventies, he was virtually alone in all media in standing up to church and state.
    He was such a consumate broadcaster that he could have playful chat with a movie star and an intimate in depth interview with local Joe in the same programme and be comfortable and sincere in both. There is literally no-one who can do the same.
    He was approached by big broadcasters in the UK and US and I think we're lucky he stayed.
    The only one in RTE to ever deserve his salary. And then some

Cant quite agree and I'm a defender of the church, way too close to EAMON CASEY and also got crazy money of RTE after 1999.

• Advertisement

It's possible to wish him a speedy recovery without being too sentimental or dramatic about it.

Yes but pedantic comments add little of value to a conversation. It was a pretty mean spirited comment given the situation.

No, just the usual money-obsessed whining. There's a time and a place for going on (and on) about someone's salary, and I'm not convinced that a thread about their heart attack is it, tb perfectly h with you.

Ok but I am sure right now he could care less who is whining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Who is moaning? I think he is an absolute legend of a man, an exceptional broadcaster and I don't suppose we will ever see the like of him again. This is an Irish public chat forum and I started the thread to bring up the subject of an extremely well known and regarded Irish tv and radio personality and his recent heart attack. Nobody has said a bad word against him so perhaps you should keep your accusations to yourself until/if somebody slags him off then you can roll it there Raym.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Gaybo is a living legend.

In the spirit of his impeccable grammar and vocabulary, I'd like to let you know that 'irregardless' isn't a real word.

Ok but I am sure right now he could care less who is whining.

Regardless, using news of someone's ill-health as an opportunity to moan about their salary is a pretty grim way to conduct oneself.

• Advertisement

thefloss wrote: »

In the spirit of his impeccable grammar and vocabulary, I'd like to let you know that 'irregardless' isn't a real word.

In fairness grow up.

In fairness grow up.

He's right though.

Regardless, using news of someone's ill-health as an opportunity to moan about their salary is a pretty grim way to conduct oneself.

Go to bed if you are offended in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yeah, I agree, I wish him a speedy recovery too, but the reality is this, old people get sick, old people end up in hospital. That scenario is the result of a natural life that is lived to its fullest and Gay Byrne has lived his life to the fullest, a life to be remembered. But to say that everyone else's life "will never be the same" because a natural scenario occurs, what will or may happen to me, you and everyone on this planet is just plain ridiculous.
    I don't think it was meant literally.

He was an institution of broadcasting - and up to very recently was still presenting quite regularly on radio on television. That's a lot more than being an Irish celeb like your man Ormond and his wife or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Like him or not, Gay is an institution of a time where we were glued to RTE of a Friday night. His Toy Shows were never even paralled by any presenter of The Late Late Show. I hope he'll be ok.

A grim way to conduct oneself??? Have you been dining with the British royals of late? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I hope I'm in as good as shape as him when I'm 80.

The real shocker was Gerry Ryan, loads of guys his age suddenly cut down the booze and took up cycling whereas Gay has retired gradually. That's how I'd like to work in later life, not a sudden stop and then loads of empty time but a more gradual stepdown in workhours.

thefloss wrote: »

In the spirit of his wit and cheekiness, you knew what that word was getting at anyways :)

KKkitty wrote: »
    Like him or not, Gay is an institution of a time where we were glued to RTE of a Friday night. His Toy Shows were never even paralled by any presenter of The Late Late Show. I hope he'll be ok.

As Steve Merchant says 'WHO CARES'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my Granda did and not screaming in terror like the passengers on the bus he was driving.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement