Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Byrne has heart attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Go to bed if you are offended in fairness.

Every single post in this thread by you has been imbecilic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

As Steve Merchant says 'WHO CARES'

Who cares are people who used his shows as release and entertainment in their lives. He could have a guest on any of his shows that showed anyone that their lives weren't all that bad or made them laugh when things were bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Hope he pulls through, cant stand the sight of him or the sound of his voice ... It would be nothing but GB on every tv and radio station or newspaper if he passed away.

Get well soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod

What an absolute car crash of a thread. Please get back on topic and leave the modding to us thanks. Use the report button if you have an issue with a post

lukesmom wrote: »
    He's apparently recovering after a heart attack. Life wouldn't be the same without Gaybo I hope he'll be okay.

I can't say it better than the OP so just thanked her and quoted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

KKkitty wrote: »
    Who cares are people who used his shows as release and entertainment in their lives. He could have a guest on any of his shows that showed anyone that their lives weren't all that bad or made them laugh when things were bad.

Probably in bed at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

If, like a couple of things on this thread, "Who cares?" is to be taken literally - then, quite a few people care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Probably in bed at this stage.

Let me get you into my life for just a second. I was beaten by people who should have been there for me but weren't. A guest comes on The Late Late who has endured worse than that so I think that I didn't have it that bad. I was sexually abused by a family member but it didn't last decades so yet again I see someone who was so life isn't that bad. A comedian comes on The Late Late who for a few minutes makes me forget what I've gone through. This is what Gay Byrne means to me so like it or lump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Gay is a very talented man and played a large part of the development of Irish culture. I'd find it hard to believe anyone over a certain age hasn't got at least one good memory of the late late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yeah the Late Late is rubbish now, but in Gay Byrne's time it was a pretty significant show.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Let me get you into my life for just a second. I was beaten by people who should have been there for me but weren't. A guest comes on The Late Late who has endured worse than that so I think that I didn't have it that bad. I was sexually abused by a family member but it didn't last decades so yet again I see someone who was so life isn't that bad. A comedian comes on The Late Late who for a few minutes makes me forget what I've gone through. This is what Gay Byrne means to me so like it or lump it.

Good for you Gaybo was the best LLS presenter fact, Anything after that was BS he retired in 1999. Good luck and good bye I wish.

Every single post in this thread by you has been imbecilic.

Ah the auld atheist has to be right, however he has to point out the flaws surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah the auld atheist has to be right, however he has to point out the flaws surely.

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I bet Gay Byrne wasn't left on a hospital trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I bet Gay Byrne wasn't left on a hospital trolley.

He probably pays for good health insurance with the money he earned...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Unsurprisingly, it's The Sun which is quoting info from 'a close friend of Gay's', when the others just seem to be giving a short report of his situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

One of Irelands most respected broadcasters had a heart attack.

Regardless of people's opinions of him, its newsworthy. Hopefully he'll recover soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He's a trainer of truffle hunting pigs as far as I'm aware.
    "trainer of truffle hunting pigs" = trainer of up and coming politicians?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

MMM why

Mod: Banned

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

MMM why

Someone might ban you.

Please report this user if he posts in this thread again when his AH ban is up and please don't drag up and reply to any of his previous posts. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

the_syco wrote: »
    "trainer of truffle hunting pigs" = trainer of up and coming politicians?

either them or the majestic live liner himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm a bit surprised by hearing this news about Gay Byrne tonight. Poor man. I hope he gets well soon and he makes a good recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

catbear wrote: »
    I hope I'm in as good as shape as him when I'm 80.

The real shocker was Gerry Ryan, loads of guys his age suddenly cut down the booze and took up cycling whereas Gay has retired gradually. That's how I'd like to work in later life, not a sudden stop and then loads of empty time but a more gradual stepdown in workhours.

Gay would be long gone from the airwaves and having a quiet retirement only he was unfortunate enough to lose his nest egg twice.

Its the same reason Mike Murphy is still on the air too

Gay would be long gone from the airwaves having a quiet retirement only he was unfortunate enough to lose his nest egg twice.

Its the same reason Mike Murphy is still being inflicted upon us.

I think the two of them are better than their younger replacements. Bring them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Depp wrote: »
    He probably pays for good health insurance with the money he earned...he was paid by law abiding television owners many whom would rather have not seen him get a penny
    FYP

subscription for RTE, the only fair way, but the nepotistic untalented degenerate scum are running scared of the idea. It was investigated before with many seemingly in favour.

I have said before, stick a video of a dog shitting in a garden on the late late show timeslot and it would draw in huge viewing figures. After forking out money for a tv licence many have no money left for dvds or netlifx or subscriptions to sky etc. They make do with the shite that is offered up. Many hate to see things going to waste. If we were forced to have a licence if we owned a cooker and pay for food to be delivered to our door each day many would also make do and eat up that fucking slop rather than let it go to waste, after all they have had to legally pay for it -after forking out their genuinely hard earned money they might not be able to afford an alternative, on top of those charges. Some may grow to enjoy the slop as they know no better, as they cannot afford it.
    He was approached by big broadcasters in the UK and US and I think we're lucky he stayed.
    how much was he offered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

rubadub wrote: »
    FYP

subscription for RTE, the only fair way, but the nepotistic untalented degenerate scum are running scared of the idea. It was investigated before with many seemingly in favour.

I have said before, stick a video of a dog shitting in a garden on the late late show timeslot and it would draw in huge viewing figures. After forking out money for a tv licence many have no money left for dvds or netlifx or subscriptions to sky etc. They make do with the shite that is offered up. Many hate to see things going to waste. If we were forced to have a licence if we owned a cooker and pay for food to be delivered to our door each day many would also make do and eat up that fucking slop rather than let it go to waste, after all they have had to legally pay for it -after forking out their genuinely hard earned money they might not be able to afford an alternative, on top of those charges. Some may grow to enjoy the slop as they know no better, as they cannot afford it.

how much was he offered?

Subscription is an idiotic idea.Sky charge probably on average fifty quid a month for hundreds of channels and have tens of millions of households.How much could RTE charge for three channels with a two million household market.
    Laughably stupid idea I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kneemos wrote: »
    .How much could RTE charge for three channels with a two million household market.
    currently 160euro, forcibly. Many seem to be in favour, so if half subscribed it would be less than double, as they would not be squandering as much money chasing theiving cnuts who currently steal the service. If there was fair competition the salaries and squandering within RTE would plummet too.

The "idiotic idea" was already investigated about 10 years back, and many favored it. Maybe you might rethink who the fucking idiot is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Criticism
    A survey of public attitudes to public-sector broadcasting was carried out by the Economic and Social Research Institute in 2004.[36] The authors noted that "public discontent at the level and inherently regressive nature of the ad rem licence fee is noticeable by its absence, particularly in contrast to the difficulties associated with the introduction of some ad rem service charges, e.g. bin and water charges."[36] The associated opinion poll recorded agree:disagree percentages of 54:29 for the statement "Public Broadcasting should be financed by the licence fee."[37] Respondents were asked what level of monthly fee they would be prepared to pay to receive RTÉ if subscription access were hypothetically to replace the licence fee: the annualised mean and median household figures were €180 and €252.60, compared to the then licence fee of €150, with those who frequently watched RTÉ programs most willing to pay

If you think nobody would subscribe it just proves that it is unwanted, it forcibly gets rid of it, not sure why you think that would be idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Red Kev wrote: »
    Has a programme on RTE Lyric, or had until recently.
    Does a TV programme for RTE on peoples faith (can't think of the name).
    Was head of the RSA till recently.
    Does various voiceovers, radio programmes and other stuff for various people and companies.

Busy man for his age. He needs to slow down and enjoy life, but some people like him just need to keep moving and doing something. I wish him well nonetheless.

I think I read somewhere that he had to come out of retirement when the financial crash happened as he, like a lot of "retired" people, lost a lot of money in bank shares etc.

I hope he gets well soon. He is a bit of an icon, unlike these modern "Indo VIP tw4ts cum celebs" who have done nothing.

Us of an older generation can remember when RTE One only started broadcasting at a certain time of the day and Gaybo was a huge part of that era.

Mock all you want, but in Ireland in the sixties and seventies, he was virtually alone in all media in standing up to church and state.

Ah come on now, Gay Byrne was very conservative himself, he didn't stand up to anything, he gave no one a hard time except people like Annie Murphy because they were on the dark side. The classic was the reaction to the death of teenager Anne Lovett, when he initially read the paper reports he said "nothing exciting"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Lovett

For all that, he was an extremely good broadcaster, and even though he was no rebel as you suggest he certainly gave matters a platform. His radio show afair subsequently channelled a lot of the outcry following the Casey scandal, the tragedy in Granard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The man is in hospital. Show a bit of respect.

Ok everyone, no negative comments about uncle Gaybo while he's in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

IF you were on his money I'm sure you'd stay active as well.

I thought he was broke. So he said anyway. Not a bean to his name he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

gramar wrote: »
    I thought he was broke. So he said anyway. Not a bean to his name he said.

I suspect Gay's idea of "not a bean to his name" might be different to that of yours and mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

I wish him well.
    Never a huge fan myself but like all who grew up in the sixties and seventies was forced to watch the lls by parents who wouldn't miss it and in four channell land at the time he didn't have much competition.
    Having said that looking back he knew his audience and was good at his job.
    My biggest gripe on him is he gave us Joe bloody Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Redbishop wrote: »
    I wish him well.
    Never a huge fan myself but like all who grew up in the sixties and seventies was forced to watch the lls by parents who wouldn't miss it and in four channell land at the time he didn't have much competition.
    Having said that looking back he knew his audience and was good at his job.
    My biggest gripe on him is he gave us Joe bloody Duffy.

Your parents forced you to watch lls, did they tie you to a chair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I liked listening to him back in the day, for the most parts he was a very entertaining broadcaster,both on radio and tv,did not agree with all his points of views and the way he carried on sometimes, but hey we are all different, and didn't he give us joe duffy... beaten to it by above :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Can you still call people Gay without offending anyone ??

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Your parents forced you to watch lls, did they tie you to a chair?

Aye and propped my eyes open with matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

realies wrote: »
    I liked listening to him back in the day, for the most parts he was a very entertaining broadcaster,both on radio and tv,did not agree with all his points of views and the way he carried on sometimes, but hey we are all different, and didn't he give us joe duffy... beaten to it by above :-)

How did he give us joe Duffy, sorry I must have missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

If he dies wil he be referred to as the Late Late Gay Burn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Only if he's cremated.

No. Gay Byrne.
    But good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Redbishop wrote: »

you mean one channel land surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hope he recovers. He is the voice of my childhood. His show on Lyric was brilliant as well.

Feel very sorry for the man having to work till his age. Not funny losing all your money the way he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I think I read somewhere that he had to come out of retirement when the financial crash happened as he, like a lot of "retired" people, lost a lot of money in bank shares etc.

I hope he gets well soon. He is a bit of an icon, unlike these modern "Indo VIP tw4ts cum celebs" who have done nothing.

Us of an older generation can remember when RTE One only started broadcasting at a certain time of the day and Gaybo was a huge part of that era.

I actually thought it was his accountant that done away with his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Feel very sorry for the man having to work till his age. Not funny losing all your money the way he did.

don't think he has to, he just likes doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

gramar wrote: »
    Only if he's cremated.

Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

lukesmom wrote: »
    How did he give us joe Duffy, sorry I must have missed that.
    Joe started as his producer (I think)and did occaisional pieces for the radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Never liked him. Thought he was very condescending the way he spoke to people. If someone won a car he was almost telling them how lucky they were getting it and that they wouldn't have to drive their old car now (they could have been driving a top of the range mercedes for all he knew).

Still I wish him no evil and hopefully he makes a full and fast recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I always thought he was very condescending towards the general public on air. Kept a handy number for far too long and even after retirement from RTE should never have been involved with RSA.

Hope he and his family are OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is probably one of the few actual world class stars RTE ever had

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement