Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

roadside drug tests

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A cup of coca based tea in fairness. Hardly Lyons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So he was under the influence of cocaine and tested positive for it, what's the problem?

He wasnt drinking it cos it went well with the mcvities the chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

So he was under the influence of cocaine and tested positive for it, what's the problem?

he was under the influence of a cup of tea

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Roadside drug test are cognitive tests and not blood/urine.

Is it acceptable to drink poppy tea or mushroom tea before driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So what, now you can be arrested for being under the influence of a drug just for drinking a drink that has that drug in it!??

PC gone mad lads, it'll be Sharia Law next, just watch :rolleyes:.

M

With cocaine in it, no excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

With all the passive cannabis smoking going on, on public transport a person could easily fail a drugs test through no fault of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BS, and you know it. He was under the influence of cocaine.

Next please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Simon2015 wrote: »
    With all the passive cannabis smoking going on, on public transport a person could easily fail a drugs test through no fault of their own.

If they inhaled sufficient to fail a test then they shouldn't be driving whether it's intentional or not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ah guard are ya sure, there's cocaine in it
    What?
    Sorry raisons, I meant raisons.

If they inhaled sufficient to fail a test then they shouldn't be driving whether it's intentional or not though.

They could still fail a drugs test a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Simon2015 wrote: »
    "It is very unlikely that second hand smoke will make you fail a drug test. However, it can leave traces of the active chemical in the marijuana, tetrahydracannabinol, or THC for short. This amount of THC is not likely to alert most drug tests. In addition, most drug tests are highly sophisticated, and can avoid those false positives that might come from second hand smoke inhalation."
    So unless you hotbox it, you're highly unlikely to fail a drug test.

what is a sufficient amount? this is well defined when it comes to alcohol but not when it comes to other drugs. the mere presence in your system is enough to get you convicted. while with alcohol there is a 'safe' limit defined by law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Nonsense thread, surely you can tell a difference between drinking a cup of tea and taking coccaine..

M

If your getting your tea from a cafe or a fella in a field if it's laced in cocaine it's laced in cocaine, case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Ah yes, sure it was 'lines' tea.

May stick to the Barrys stuff in future ; )

Nonsense thread, surely you can tell a difference between drinking a cup of tea and taking coccaine..

its not whether i can or you can. its whether the test can.

while the story is not fully known yet, it raises the question whether he could have gotten a false positive from something else he ingested.

In some cases Cannabis can make people better drivers.

Small Amounts of Cannabis Can Improve Some People’s Driving Ability, Says Scientists

https://upvoted.com/2015/12/26/small-amounts-of-cannabis-can-improve-some-peoples-driving-ability-says-scientists/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/drug-screening-6-everyday-things-trigger-false-positive-drug-test-358582#big-shots/358582/5

so you dont do drugs and fail a test. could be something completely normal you ingested.

im not condoning drug driving by the way. i just think that like alcohol we should have a proper way of quantifying the amount of the drug in a persons system rather than just having the substance in your body leading to a conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

its not whether i can or you can. its whether the test can.

while the story is not fully known yet, it raises the question whether he could have gotten a false positive from something else he ingested.

I'd say, in this case, it was a genuine positive. From the cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I imagine the man involved will sue for damages if put off the road and loses his job

I'd say, in this case, it was a genuine positive. From the cocaine.

tbh i think youre right. it reminds me of a story i read years ago in galway. some fella was caught drinking and driving. ended up in court and gave the excuse that he hasnt drank in years, but did consume listerine regularly and found it had a calming effect on him. honestly this was the best excuse he could come up with. he said he was oblivious to presence of alcohol in it. anyway, im sure i was like everyone else reading it thinking, 'ya, right!!' long story short he got done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A cup of coca based tea in fairness. Hardly Lyons.
    +1 Indeed, on a recreational drug orientated site I saw people saying caffeine based drinks like coffee or teas (like lyons) had far more effect on them.

But sure mammy and the local garda drink that so I'll just bury my head in the fucking sand like a prize tit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The problem is that he was was not under the influence of cocaine. :rolleyes:

its like people testing "positive" for "heroin" tests after eating poppy seeds -though they were not under the influence of heroin.
    With cocaine in it, no excuse.
    there was no cocaine in it, FFS gullible fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mate de Coca doesn't contain cocaine, it's just dried Coca leaf. It has to be processed, while still wet, to extract cocaine from the leaf.

All the tea does is help with altitude sickness and flu symptoms and give you s very slight energy boost. This is no different than someone failing a drug test after eating a poppysead bagel.

rubadub wrote: »
    The problem is that he was was not under the influence of cocaine. :rolleyes:

its like people testing "positive" for "heroin" tests after eating poppy seeds -though they were not under the influence of heroin.

there was no cocaine in it, FFS gullible fools.

Beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

If drinking something containing coca gets you a false positive for cocaine, should probably avoid a certain sugary drink in a red can so.

Rolllo wrote: »
    If drinking something containing coca gets you a false positive for cocaine, should probably avoid a certain sugary drink in a red can so.

Coca-Cola hasn't contained Coca in decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Coca-Cola hasn't contained Coca in decades.

wikipedia: The coca plant remains part of the formula; it is believed that coca leaves are imported from Peru, then treated by US chemical company Stepan, which then sells the de-cocainized residue to Coca-Cola

wikipedia:Coca-Cola includes as an ingredient a coca leaf extract prepared by a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey. The facility, which had been known as the Maywood Chemical Works, was purchased by Stepan in 1959.The plant is the only commercial entity in the USA authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration to import coca leaves, which come primarily from Peru. Approximately 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year. The cocaine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the cocaine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes.

100,000 kgs of leaves which are treated to remove the actual ingredients which would have any effect shared amongst 246,192,500,000 liters sold by Coca-Cola annually... It's basically homeopathy at this stage.

It's 0.0004061862161 grams per litre of the raw, pretreated leaves, after treatment you could probably half that again.

It's added for the sake of marketing at this stage. It's not an active ingredient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Misleading thread title.

Imagine if the guards actually stopped you at the side of the road for a proper drugs test...

Garda: Hey what to you think of this cociaine?
    Dougal: Fair bit of kick to it.
    Garda: Now try this grass.
    Dougal: It's lovely, nice and mild. Are those my feet?
    Garda: Right so, you've passed, on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Did the guy in the original article not think something was up when he was opening the doors to the bus like this in the mornings?

Advertisement