Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€600 build help.

Options
  • 30-12-2015 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭

So I'm planning to build a new PC to take over from our current household entertainment set-up - a Frankenstein X-Box 360, a scrap based self build PC (not my work, this is a first) used to run emulators, watch stuff, and do musicy things, and a solid but household spec laptop that does a bit of everything. Basically I want one box to do everything, only properly. It'd be great to get some feedback on the below:

1. What is your budget? €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Where it matters:
    Gaming - Everything I can get away with, including open world RPGs, but just to a playable standard.
    Music - A sound card is a must, fair storage, and CD-RW.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes, I'm assuming I'll find that for €20/25 online?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'd really rather not...

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I don't recall the spec of the current one but I can see replacing it a few months down the line.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not right now.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? January

And where I've gotten so far:

i3-4170 processor - 116.99
    ASRock B85 Anniversary, Sockel 1150, ATX - 63.99
    Gainward GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2GB - 128.99
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600 RAM 37.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 49.99
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 8 400W - 40.99
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Internal Soundcard - 44.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 - 59.99
    Pioneer DVR-221BK - 19.99

Total: €584 including shipping from hardwareversand.de and €20 on Windows brings it close to budget.

If I can get more bang for my buck there it would be great to know! Also, if I've messed up anywhere :o

I'm toying with the idea of a 120GB SSD in the mix (over budget), should I just stick to the damn budget or am I actually on to something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So I'm planning to build a new PC to take over from our current household entertainment set-up - a Frankenstein X-Box 360, a scrap based self build PC (not my work, this is a first) used to run emulators, watch stuff, and do musicy things, and a solid but household spec laptop that does a bit of everything. Basically I want one box to do everything, only properly. It'd be great to get some feedback on the below:

1. What is your budget? €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Where it matters:
    Gaming - Everything I can get away with, including open world RPGs, but just to a playable standard.
    Music - A sound card is a must, fair storage, and CD-RW.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes, I'm assuming I'll find that for €20/25 online?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'd really rather not...

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I don't recall the spec of the current one but I can see replacing it a few months down the line.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not right now.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? January

And where I've gotten so far:

i3-4170 processor - 116.99
    ASRock B85 Anniversary, Sockel 1150, ATX - 63.99
    Gainward GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2GB - 128.99
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600 RAM 37.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 49.99
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 8 400W - 40.99
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Internal Soundcard - 44.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 - 59.99
    Pioneer DVR-221BK - 19.99

Total: €584 including shipping from hardwareversand.de and €20 on Windows brings it close to budget.

If I can get more bang for my buck there it would be great to know! Also, if I've messed up anywhere :o

I'm toying with the idea of a 120GB SSD in the mix (over budget), should I just stick to the damn budget or am I actually on to something here?

Is it going to be sitting under the telly or will it be in an office somewhere? You may want to go for a smaller motherboard (m-atx or itx) and case if its going to be in the living room as it will be less obstrusive.

Have a look at the H81 motherboards as well, might knock a tenner or more off the price. Dont totally disregard getting even a 60GB SSD for windows and programs. Thats what i have in the media centre with a standard hard drive for file/media storage and installing some games on. Its grand, boots up and launches programmes quickly.

There is also only small bumps in speed between the different i3 processors, so if you see the next one down for a good discount i would opt for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thanks. Size isn't an issue, in fact I want to make sure there's a bit of room for growth, just in case! I don’t want to have to get a new case if I discover I actually do use two disc drives, or need to add wifi or something, same goes for the motherboard, but I'm sifting through the H81's and you've definitely got a point, should be able to shave a few euro!

A bit of an odd question, but when it comes to the build itself, I have a 12mm neodymium magnet implanted in a fingertip, about the strength of three of the little ones in an optical drive, do I need to keep it away from anything other than the CPU and HDD? It wouldn't damage the latter it'd just hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A magnet in your finger? I imagine that's cool at parties :pac:

Build is fine, I'd stretch to add an SSD

Use a wishlist on skinflint.co.UK with German stores on to find the cheapest place to buy

Advertisement