Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fethard

Options
  • 30-12-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Having recently been to Fethard I must say the town has a lovely layout. However, I was disappointed in the lack of facilities in the town, no ATM, swimming pool, gym etc. It is hard to find fresh fruit and veg as well which is a shame. Plenty of pubs but not much else, apart from the wall. If this is a reflection of other towns in rural Ireland, it is very sad indeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lauras5839

lufties wrote: »
    Hi All,

Having recently been to Fethard I must say the town has a lovely layout. However, I was disappointed in the lack of facilities in the town, no ATM, swimming pool, gym etc. It is hard to find fresh fruit and veg as well which is a shame. Plenty of pubs but not much else, apart from the wall. If this is a reflection of other towns in rural Ireland, it is very sad indeed.

You're twenty minutes away from Clonmel in Fethard go there for your swimming pool and gym, It's a strange requirement of yours for a small town/large village like Fethard to have them to be honest. A lack of an ATM is a slight inconvenience I grant you but not the end of the world. I don't know where you got your fruit and veg opinion from there's a very well stocked Centra.

There's nothing a bit sad about Fethard it's a lovely place and, sorry to be rude, you might have noticed if you'd taken your head out of your arse for just a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Lauras5839 wrote: »
    You're twenty minutes away from Clonmel in Fethard go there for your swimming pool and gym, It's a strange requirement of yours for a small town/large village like Fethard to have them to be honest. A lack of an ATM is a slight inconvenience I grant you but not the end of the world. I don't know where you got your fruit and veg opinion from there's a very well stocked Centra.

There's nothing a bit sad about Fethard it's a lovely place and, sorry to be rude, you might have noticed if you'd taken your head out of your arse for just a moment.

I was expecting that kind of reply, especially since people don't like to hear their own patch being criticsized. Not everyone has access to a car, and public transport to clonmel is pretty infrequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

I was expecting that kind of reply, especially since people don't like to hear their own patch being criticsized. Not everyone has access to a car, and public transport to clonmel is pretty infrequent.

Generations have managed without a pool/gym in Fethard up to now! A walk to Clonmel would be great excercise!

Triboro wrote: »
    Generations have managed without a pool/gym in Fethard up to now! A walk to Clonmel would be great excercise!

Generations also managed without electricity, the wheel, and bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lauras5839

Haha you're gas. You must be fair bored if you're looking to argue flimsy points about Fethard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

Exactly!

Lauras5839 wrote: »
    Haha you're gas. You must be fair bored if you're looking to argue flimsy points about Fethard.

I wouldn't say flimsy, but in fact quite important if Fethard wants to grow as a town. How hard would it be to have a farmers market in the town square on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 padre t

Hi All,

I've been to Fethard a few times and I find it a really lovely town that , unfortunately, has been bypassed by big business and developments in favour of nearby larger towns. I say "unfortunately " very loosely because Fethard is very ,very fortunate to have held unto it's medieval history while those nearby larger towns have had theirs greatly diminished. Fethard is really a "hidden gem" and it's day is coming with the arrival of the new government project -Irelands ancient east - which is including the town in its tourism drive,and with tourists comes money and businesses and who knows, maybe in a few years you'll get your swimming pool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Great to see that Fethard has a thread all of it's own.

This is an opportunity to promote the many good aspects of this friendly little town.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'm not from the town but have a good few friends out there. It's in much better condition than towns of similer size around the country and it has more than just a few pubs to offer.

Some great history around that hopefully will be promoted in the years to come. 300,000 people visited the Rock of Cashel in the space of 12 months. They need to persuade some of the tour companies to swing by Fethard bringing much needed tourism euros to the town.

Not having an ATM in the town is more than an inconvenience for visitors. Basic facility that is required in the town centre.

I agree with the poster who suggested a farmers market. Maybe in the car park(in front of the chippers) every second Sunday.

• Advertisement

All you ever wanted to know about Fethard.

http://fethard.com/mainpages/cnews.html

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The last time I was in the Centra store in Fethard it had an ATM.

tippspur wrote: »
    The last time I was in the Centra store in Fethard it had an ATM.

Which isn't in the centre of town, isn't easily spotted by to those that don't know the town, isnt near the main square/pubs(if your walking around as a stranger) and isn't available outside centre opening hours. One is needed in the centre.

Which isn't in the centre of town, isn't easily spotted by to those that don't know the town, isnt near the main square/pubs(if your walking around as a stranger) and isn't available outside centre opening hours. One is needed in the centre.

The ATM is three minutes walk away from the AIB which is in the centre of the town.

Let's face up to it if there was an ATM on the street it would not stay there for long as it would be removed with something like a digger, by criminals within weeks .

Xenophile wrote: »
    The ATM is three minutes walk away from the AIB which is in the centre of the town.

Let's face up to it if there was an ATM on the street it would not stay there for long as it would be removed with something like a digger, by criminals within weeks .

yeah in a londis shop, by all accounts it doesn't work 90 per cent of the time..put an atm in a housed facility maybe and it wouldn't be as enticing for criminals.

Your missing the point completely about services that tourists expect, but let's hope that those trying to promote Fethard don't have the same negative views as yourself.

Back on topic, I think a tourist centre and/or museum down around the castle/town walls is something that needs to be pushed for, coach parking in town is another must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

I wouldn't say flimsy, but in fact quite important if Fethard wants to grow as a town. How hard would it be to have a farmers market in the town square on a Sunday?

There used to be a country market in the square/ town hall every friday morning before the restoration work started on the hall. Will be out that way this friday, so might have a look.

Fethard has a lot going for it, but like many other small towns its size, has been decimated by the downturn in the economy. Also people prefer to gravitate to Clonmel for their shopping, etc. Most of the retail outlets closed since the start of the downturn, leaving only 3 shops remaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi All,

If this is a reflection of other towns in rural Ireland, it is very sad indeed.

It has a great equine hospital though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Utter nonsense, take another small town not too far away ... Callan. It's had an atm on the main street for around 18 years, only once during that time did criminals try to get it out of the wall with a digger and they only caused minimum damage and failed.

Not having something because it might be stolen some how is not a good enough reason.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Utter nonsense, take another small town not too far away ... Callan. It's had an atm on the main street for around 18 years, only once during that time did criminals try to get it out of the wall with a digger and they only caused minimum damage and failed.

Not having something because it might be stolen some how is not a good enough reason.

Maybe if you find out the reason why there is no ATM in Fethard, many many people would be interested to know.

I believe Coolmore Stud made representations to the banks on this matter, without success.

• Advertisement

Maybe if you find out the reason why there is no ATM in Fethard, many many people would be interested to know.

I believe Coolmore Stud made representations to the banks on this matter, without success.

To be fair the other poster pulled you up on the claim that someone would nick the ATM if installed which was utter nonsense and seriously negative.

Whatever the reason we can hedge our bets on the fact it probably wouldn't make enough money for them. The point still stands that it is a basic facilty that should be easily available for any visitors to the town when the focus needs to be on promoting the medieval history of the town and providing the services tourists expect(espicially those that Americans expect).

To be fair the other poster pulled you up on the claim that someone would nick the ATM if installed which was utter nonsense and seriously negative.

My view on the subject has not changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

According to the AIB Branch locator there is an ATM in Fethard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My view on the subject has not changed!

It is however none the less a completely baseless claim with no merit, so while you can stick with it you might as well claim they are also scared aliens might nick the ATM
    :rolleyes:

The most logical reason is the banks likely don't see a second ATM in the town as a money maker for them, after all they need a certain amount of transactions per day/week/month/year to warrant them,

I know this because I was involved in the data gathering exercise to get the first ATM installed in Callan back in the day. While AIB did eventually install a second ATM in Supervalue in Callan this would not have involved anywhere near the same cost as the outdoor BOI ATM that already existed in the town.

It is however none the less a completely baseless claim with no merit, so while you can stick with it you might as well claim they are also scared aliens might nick the ATM

There are no security cameras on any street in Fethard. The installation of these cameras would be a first deterrent to crime!

There are no security cameras on any street in Fethard. The installation of these cameras would be a first deterrent to crime!

Neither are there security cameras in Carrick On Suir, Cahir, Tipperary or Roscrea and the number of ATMs being ripped from the wall of any bank or business has not increased.

CCTV camera's get installed at outdoor ATM points by default, they however do nothing to stop thieves from trying to ripp an ATM out of a wall if they want to.

Kilkenny City has load of camera's around the parade, but that didn't stop thieves years back trying to ripp the ATM out of the old BOI branch on the parade one night. The only thing that stopped them was a properly secured ATM that they couldn't actually get out of the wall....the same as in Callan.

You give too much credit to CCTV camera's in stopping crime, if CCTV camera's stopped crime then London would be crime free as it has more camera's then any other city in the world. It however is not crime free.

Suggesting a small town like Fethard should have a load of CCTV camera's to stop imaginary ATM crime on a ATM, that doesn't even exist is all rather silly. Especially as your claim for why a ATM does not exist in Fethard (because it could be stolen) is completely baseless in the first place.

Hi All,

Vizzy wrote: »
    According to the AIB Branch locator there is an ATM in Fethard.
    CCTV camera's get installed at outdoor ATM points by default, they however do nothing to stop thieves from trying to ripp an ATM out of a wall if they want to.

Kilkenny City has load of camera's around the parade, but that didn't stop thieves years back trying to ripp the ATM out of the old BOI branch on the parade one night. The only thing that stopped them was a properly secured ATM that they couldn't actually get out of the wall....the same as in Callan.

You give too much credit to CCTV camera's in stopping crime, if CCTV camera's stopped crime then London would be crime free as it has more camera's then any other city in the world. It however is not crime free.

Suggesting a small town like Fethard should have a load of CCTV camera's to stop imaginary ATM crime on a ATM, that doesn't even exist is all rather silly. Especially as your claim for why a ATM does not exist in Fethard (because it could be stolen) is completely baseless in the first place.

I hope all this publicity for Fethard will encourage people to go and visit the town as it really is a lovely town with a great community spirit.

Even if you forget to bring cash you can get cash back in plenty places there, just buy yourself an ice cream or bar of chocolate and enjoy your visit.

I hope all this publicity for Fethard will encourage people to go and visit the town as it really is a lovely town with a great community spirit.

Even if you forget to bring cash you can get cash back in plenty places there,or just go to Londis, use the ATM, buy yourself an ice cream or bar of chocolate and enjoy your visit.

Fixed your post there.

No need to thank me .

• Advertisement

Advertisement