Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rúbaí

• 30-12-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here see this short film on TG4 yesterday about an eight-year-girl who said she was an atheist, and refused to make her first Holy Communion? I have to say that it was very good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This? http://www.thisisirishfilm.ie/trailers/rubai

Doesn't appear to be available on TG4 player

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

I saw the trailer for it in an article yesterday but I'm in London so I didn't get to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Only the trailer on you tube.

By the looks of the trailer she was coerced into it by the end :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or maybe her mother relented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

matrim wrote: »

Lol at 'Did you see the diamonds in that tiara? That's proof that God exists'

Just finished. Brilliantly done. Well worth a watch. I love her questionning wee mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Gorgeous film. Very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nice little short; only 11 minutes.
    Seems very popular, seems it was only put up on you tube Jan 1st and has 26,800 views today on Jan 4th.
    Some guy has put it up with Spanish subtitles too smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73eglXP6TY0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Really enjoyed it, although I thought her reading and citing Charles Darwin was a little heavy handed, and a tad unrealistic. The scene at the graveyard was incredibly powerful, and the young girl did a great job throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Really enjoyed it, although I thought her reading and citing Charles Darwin was a little heavy handed, and a tad unrealistic. The scene at the graveyard was incredibly powerful, and the young girl did a great job throughout.

Wasn't the only unrealistic moment! The teacher having a go at her for not believing in god and the priest having a fit about her declaring her atheism wouldn't happen either. However, the acting was lovely and the graveyard scene was powerful alright. Nice job, but flawed writing - playing to the gallery.

Shrap wrote: »
    The teacher having a go at her for not believing in god and the priest having a fit about her declaring her atheism wouldn't happen either.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057283763
    The trouble started on the first day when the class were colouring in a picture of Jesus and my daughter announced that she didn't believe in God. Her teacher told her that if said that again that she would be sent back to her old school! The other kids also seemed to gang up on her a bit over this. Over the next few days the subject came up again and she was sent to the principal's office and the principal told her that she had to believe in God!

Ireland, 2014.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, ok! I guess I thought time had changed. I must have been spoiled by my kid's teachers actually being decent human beings :o

Yeah, ok! I guess I thought time had changed. I must have been spoiled by my kid's teachers actually being decent human beings :o

I think that we are all fooled sometimes into thinking that Ireland isn't as religiously backwards as it really is.

Wasn't the only unrealistic moment! The teacher having a go at her for not believing in god

When I was in secondary school I had the same thing happen to me. Now that was a good few years ago but as the thread from bajer shows, it can still happen.

When I was in secondary school I had the same thing happen to me. Now that was a good few years ago but as the thread from bajer shows, it can still happen.

Happened me too in primary school in the 70's, but then again, we also had a teacher who flung wooden blackboard dusters with unerring accuracy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Happened me too in primary school in the 70's, but then again, we also had a teacher who flung wooden blackboard dusters with unerring accuracy.
    We had a teacher who did that too - chalk on the face/head if you were a little bit disruptive and the duster for more serious offences. Hardly worth pointing out that guy was a priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she says her prayers in the end :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess you could hardly expect the Irish language quangos to fund a movie that says it's OK to be an atheist. :/

• Advertisement

I didn't spot that bit? I thought she was hugging her Ma in the graveyard at the end? :-/

I didn't spot that bit? I thought she was hugging her Ma in the graveyard at the end? :-/
    she says she did

she says she did

Oh I believe you. My lack of observation is scary at times :(

No she didn't or at least it's not clear. She stands by the grave with her head down but could be thinking anything. What she had said was she prayed for her father (?) To get better. The fact that he died is probably what made her start to question

No she didn't or at least it's not clear. She stands by the grave with her head down but could be thinking anything. What she had said was she prayed for her father (?) To get better. The fact that he died is probably what made her start to question

Yes, that's how I took it too.

Some interesting comments under the video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rSkSOkUJ5o

she says her prayers in the end :/ she says she did

she says her prayers in the end :/ she says she did

When?

What she had said was she prayed for her father (?) To get better. The fact that he died is probably what made her start to question
    Yes, that's how I took it too.

Yes, that's what I remember too. That she had prayed for him. Clearly, it hadn't worked and so she wasn't going to do it now (is what I thought).

• Advertisement

When?
    at the graveyard

at the graveyard

I just watched the end again. She says
    (while talking to her father's grave) "I said my prayers so you'd get better" (past tense, presumably referring to when he was alive). Then her Mam comes over, and there's no praying.

:o

I just watched the end again. She says (while talking to her father's grave) "I said my prayers so you'd get better" (past tense, presumably referring to when he was alive). Then her Mam comes over, and there's no praying.

Exactly. I just watched and got the same.

Sounds like that's what prompted her to question God's existence.

Not really much point watching it now, is there :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :p

Scrap the cap!

Not really much point watching it now, is there :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :p

Oops! Sorry. Maybe we should all go back and do spoilers?

In fairness it's only ten minutes or so, I should've got round to it by now. The USE SPOILERS!!11!1!! thing is beloved of passive-aggressive internet types. So I was joking. Probably :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZkqxagJglaI#t=84

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

In fairness it's only ten minutes or so, I should've got round to it by now. The USE SPOILERS!!11!1!! thing is beloved of passive-aggressive internet types. So I was joking. Probably :p

Lol yes, I think it's reasonable for people reading a thread abotu Rubai to presume people will be discussing what happened in it :P

I am not good with sarcasm unless it's blatantly in your face and not subtle at all ;) I need to read faces, which are sadly lacking hereabouts. I did know you were joking (ish) but instantly felt guilty anyway :o

Lol yes, I think it's reasonable for people reading a thread abotu Rubai to presume people will be discussing what happened in it :P

Oh I don't know! I remember asking a question in a thread on the French detective series "Spiral", and nearly everything was in spoilers.....and just as well! Far too good a plot to mess up accidentally for someone. This, on the other hand.....meh.

I need to read faces, which are sadly lacking hereabouts.

I have a face, albeit a face for forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hmmmg

This link no longer works. Does anyone have another link?

• Advertisement

hmmmg wrote: »
    This link no longer works. Does anyone have another link?

There's a copy currentlly available at the bottom of this webpage http://www.skeptical-science.com/religion/reba-the-independent-thinker/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....thought this was going to be about the sexy person. Sleazy old me is disappoint.

Advertisement