Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pascal Mooney show axed from Sunshine 106.8

• 30-12-2015 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Replaced with an extra hour of Sean Ashmore voicetracking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Unusual in one way and typical in another. Mooney is a director and minority shareholder of the station so it goes without saying that he's aware of this move. His show was mentioned in their BAI submission of last year as being an interval part of the station's proposed line up and unique for it's time slot. No doubts the BAI have rubber-stamped this move with the minimum of checks of licence breaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If I'm not mistaken, Paschal Mooney was one of the original presenters all those years ago (2001) on Dublin's Country 106.8FM. He is definitely longer there than anyone else. Paddy Cole would be next - not sure if the station had become "Dublin's Country Mix 106.8" when he joined.

That said, did Paschal take a break from presenting on 106.8 for a while - I seem to recollect that he was not on the schedule all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Sunshine is turning into the Magic of Dublin very quickly. Its long gone from what it was originally licensed to transmit. I have to say its a long overdue format to the airwaves of Dublin and surrounding area's. I do believe there is scope for country & Irish music but its covered very well by the local country stations and the BAI seem to be happy that this is enough air time.
    Pascal Mooney might get a gig on LMFM or KFM or one of the local county stations. He doesn't belong in the new format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

I think he has a show on ocean fm on Saturdays 11.00 am to 2.00 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Mr Snow wrote: »
    I think he has a show on ocean fm on Saturdays 11.00 am to 2.00 pm

When Ocean FM was launched (what year?), quite a few presenters from Dublin's Country 106.8 followed Robert Walshe, former PD of 106.8, to Ocean FM. He was the Launch Director for Ocean FM, as well as a presenter. Indeed, some continued working for both for a while, like Paschal Mooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

it was launched in 2004 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

When Ocean FM was launched (what year?)

2004/5 i believe?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

bbability wrote: »
    Sunshine is turning into the Magic of Dublin very quickly. Its long gone from what it was originally licensed to transmit. I have to say its a long overdue format to the airwaves of Dublin and surrounding area's. I do believe there is scope for country & Irish music but its covered very well by the local country stations and the BAI seem to be happy that this is enough air time.
    Pascal Mooney might get a gig on LMFM or KFM or one of the local county stations. He doesn't belong in the new format
    There's not much to choose between it, Q102 and 4FM, all very safe and mundane.
    It even has the same type jingles as the UK Magic.

I wish it could have been brave and rode out it's early day difficulties by being honest and staying true to it's licencing terms.

Country and Irish music is hugely popular in Ireland and it's a market that's largely ignored by Dublin stations.

I think it would have quite a cult following by now if it operated in the style of the old KICFM pirate station .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bbability wrote: »

I have a theory that Sunshine is a mere goose that is being fattened up for the likes of a Heart or Magic to come in and take it over within a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

What a shame.
    That is the end of Irish country/MOR music being played on 106.8, the first time since Dublin's Country started. Remember Howard Myers Irish show Sunday mornings at 3am was axed also last year.
    Paddy Cole plays more mainstream music on his show. But I would say his show is next for axing...

Did Paschal do his Sunshine show from the Ocean FM studios? When he used to give the contact details to enter competitions or requests, he would give out the same details as his Ocean show and not Sunshine's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement