Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 70d or 7D mk2 ?Where to buy?

• 30-12-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone give me some recommendations on where to buy the above cameras at a good value.

There' a few places in Ireland that sell them , but at whopping retail price and when I think 80d or 6dmk2 might be out soon those prices are just crazy in comparison what these cameras are selling on amazon.de or other EU countries.

There's tons of places to buy, just looking for recommendation and trustworthy sellers?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I've been using eGlobal as the reference point for "a good deal" but keep my eye on other sites. Yesterday, I picked up a "nearly new" 70D + 18-135mm STM IS (+3 batteries & lowepro bag) for 750€ and the petrol to collect it. This is through the French version of DoneDeal*, but even being "local" it's a challenge to get to wherever the camera is.

The going rate for a 2014 70D with <5000 shutter actuations here is about 500-550€ if that's any use to you.

(* leboncoin.fr - warning: to find the bargains, you have to wade through loads of idiots thinking they can sell second-hand for more than it costs new! That's a French trait; I got mine from a Korean who probably bought it on eGlobal!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Yea I've been watching the eglobal central, but the amount of bad feedback is frightening.

I have found a few shops in Germany and the prices are pretty reasonable. Nearly not worth bringing the stuff in from China anymore.

Check out https://www.calumetphoto.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I asked a similar question as the OP looking for a place to buy a D7200. I'm a bit put off by eGlobal as I'm not confident about any sort of warranty they can offer.

That calumetphoto site does a pretty good deal, €880. Again though, anyone know where I would stand in terms of warranty with Nikon buying from there?

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/ do it for about €815. You could check them for the Canon cameras. Anyone ever deal with them?

Amazon clock in at around €1k which seems steep but at least I have confidence in the brand.

Xpro wrote: »
    Yea I've been watching the eglobal central, but the amount of bad feedback is frightening.

I have found a few shops in Germany and the prices are pretty reasonable. Nearly not worth bringing the stuff in from China anymore.

I both 4 cameras and 5 lens over past few years.

I can't recommend hem highly enough.

One camera was faulty and I was refunded without any hassle.

• Advertisement

I both 4 cameras and 5 lens over past few years.

I can't recommend hem highly enough.

One camera was faulty and I was refunded without any hassle.

That the same crowd in China?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Eglobal central? What's delivery like, how long and any issue with custom?

Yes Eglobal Central. No customs issues and delivery was usually 5 wirking days. They were very good with their online chat feature for queries and thrir delivery dupdates were very good also. When i hadvtge faulty Canon G7X they offered another at a reduced price or full refund. I took refund. I previously purchased Sony RX 100s and lenses all sotless with Irish plugs too for chargers etc.

Thanks a mill for the reply. Looking into 7d mark ii as well

• Advertisement

What's the warranty situation if bought in Germany?

What's the warranty situation if bought in Germany?

Normal Canon EU warranty as they are not grey imports like Hdew cameras. I rang Canon UK to confirm this with them, and no problems at all.

I bought a new camera of them yesterday and some lenses.

So far it was a smooth service, expecting delivery next week.

They were so far the cheapest around for what I needed, and prices were very close to hdew cameras and they are for EU market and not grey imports.

Also delivery is free to any EU country, so its a win win.

I will update this thread when I receive the goods.

Normal Canon EU warranty as they are not grey imports like Hdew cameras. I rang Canon UK to confirm this with them, and no problems at all.

I bought a new camera of them yesterday and some lenses.

So far it was a smooth service, expecting delivery next week.

They were so far the cheapest around for what I needed, and prices were very close to hdew cameras and they are for EU market and not grey imports.

Also delivery is free to any EU country, so its a win win.

I will update this thread when I receive the goods.

Thanks Xpro. For me its a 200 or so saving on the camera alone so its defo worth it. I look forward to hearing how you get on

Calumet photo have branches in UK too but they are not as cheap as Germany due to sterling exchange and higher VAT rates.

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/reasons-to-shop/no-grey-imports

So, am I right in saying that when you buy with Calumet, you get the full proper warranty and it's not a grey import?

Bacchus wrote: »
    So, am I right in saying that when you buy with Calumet, you get the full proper warranty and it's not a grey import?

That's what I believe anyway

That's what I believe anyway

Cheers... anyone able to confirm that? I might pop them an email. The D7200 is out of stock at the moment anyway so they're not much good to me at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Don't forget to check out some of the EU divisions of Amazon - the .fr store is very competitive and you will definitely get a full Canon guarantee. I've had my eye on a 10-18mm lens. It's 10€ cheaper on Calumet, but if I bought it from Amazon, I'd get a 30€ cashback from Canon, bringing it down to just over 200€. As it happens, I might have found one secondhand, so will wait another week ... but over the last month, amazon.fr has been consistently as good as eGlobal once the cashback is factored in. Not sure how that would work out for you guys in Ireland, but might be worth checking the T&Cs of the current Canon promotion there.

Bacchus wrote: »

Go to Calumet photo Germany website and if you use Chrome translator you will see a section about Grey imports on the bottom of the page.

Calumet are the same type of outlets like Jessops and sell products destined for EU market.
    I rang Canon to confirm this about their warranty and they confirmed it, and for your piece of mind be no harm to phone Nikon and get an answer too.

Im waiting on my stuff to arrive, it was shipped the next day via DHL so hoping the stuff will arrive on Monday.cheers

Don't forget to check out some of the EU divisions of Amazon - the .fr store is very competitive and you will definitely get a full Canon guarantee. I've had my eye on a 10-18mm lens. It's 10€ cheaper on Calumet, but if I bought it from Amazon, I'd get a 30€ cashback from Canon, bringing it down to just over 200€. As it happens, I might have found one secondhand, so will wait another week ... but over the last month, amazon.fr has been consistently as good as eGlobal once the cashback is factored in. Not sure how that would work out for you guys in Ireland, but might be worth checking the T&Cs of the current Canon promotion there.

Good call. Amazon Germany have the D7200 at the same price as Calumet and it's in stock. Nice one. Must check out the T&C of shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Just a quick reply, my camera gear has arrived, all wrapped up and as expected.
    Great service I must say. I will buy from there again for sure. :)

Also to note, as Canon Europe is currently running their cashback offer, although the stuff is not eligible for UK cashback but German cashback as camera was bought under Canon Germany, there will be some additional money refunded to me under this scheme.

Just a quick reply, my camera gear has arrived, all wrapped up and as expected.
    Great service I must say. I will buy from there again for sure. :)

Also to note, as Canon Europe is currently running their cashback offer, although the stuff is not eligible for UK cashback but German cashback as camera was bought under Canon Germany, there will be some additional money refunded to me under this scheme.

Hi, just wondering how long all told it took for delivery, i ordered 7dmark ii on sunday, left Germany Wednesday and still waiting. Hopefully will be Monday now.

Hi, just wondering how long all told it took for delivery, i ordered 7dmark ii on sunday, left Germany Wednesday and still waiting. Hopefully will be Monday now.

Hi,

Just keep putting that number they gave you into anpost tracker and It will show up as soonest it hits their shelves.

My camera arrived in Dublin on Friday but I only received it on Tuesday morning.

Anpost are disaster when it comes to delivering post. It went from Dublin to Portlaoise and then to my house the following day.

It'll be with you soon hopefully, I'm delighted with my stuff:)

Hi,

Just keep putting that number they gave you into anpost tracker and It will show up as soonest it hits their shelves.

My camera arrived in Dublin on Friday but I only received it on Tuesday morning.

Anpost are disaster when it comes to delivering post. It went from Dublin to Portlaoise and then to my house the following day.

It'll be with you soon hopefully, I'm delighted with my stuff:)

Is it the Dhl number you mean, 12 digit number, sendungsnummer

Is it the Dhl number you mean, 12 digit number, sendungsnummer

Yeah thats it. Just put that number into an post tracking and it will show up as soonest its hits our shores.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

6/7 working days for non-express deliveries is the norm for items coming in from Europe. :)

Camera and lens arrived today from Calumet.de 5working days, not so bad eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭pob1

I see HDew are giving a 3 year warranty with some of these cameras .
    I know it a service warranty but with the 5d III at 1489 STG / €1950 there it looks to be great value.

Anybody have any dealings with HDew ? Buying or warranty issues ?

Advertisement