Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article in Daily Mail

Options
  • 30-12-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

What do people think about the article in the DM on Ecigs? I know the DM is usually rubbish but just wondered what everyone thought.

Also any thoughts above what James Reilly might do on ecigs?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Zelda247 wrote: »
    What do people think about the article in the DM on Ecigs? I know the DM is usually rubbish but just wondered what everyone thought.

Also any thoughts above what James Reilly might do on ecigs?

This is it?

http://www.oraloncology.com/article/S1368-8375(15)00362-0/abstract#/article/S1368-8375(15)00362-0/fulltext?mobileUi=1

New evidence which may indicate vaping isnt as harmless as we may believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I guarantee that what we'll find is that this study will effectively mean instead of vaping being 100 times safer than cigarettes like we thought , it's actually only 98 times safer. Yeah, I'll stick with vaping instead of smoking for a little while longer methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I know the DM is usually a load of rubbish but who knows I just get fed up with all the contradictions and not knowing who is right. From what I read certainly on these boards most of the people seem to feel lots better by Vaping rather than smoking cigarettes so that must mean something.

I just hope our leaders don't decide to either ban them or tax them into extinction as they are a lifeline for so many people who can't cigarettes or are tying to find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Thanks Going Forward for posting a link to that paper.

I know of other papers covering the cytotoxicity of VG and PG vapour in live animal models and nothing was found but then that research was not specific to ecigs. I'm very curious to hear from some of the respected researchers in the field have to say about this paper.

A bit suspicious that there is no control used in the research and no analysis of the vapour itself. Also it would seem that given the nature of ecigs as a harm reduction method that a comparison to cigarettes was also not included in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

8mm wrote: »
    Thanks Going Forward for posting a link to that paper.

I know of other papers covering the cytotoxicity of VG and PG vapour in live animal models and nothing was found but then that research was not specific to ecigs. I'm very curious to hear from some of the respected researchers in the field have to say about this paper.

A bit suspicious that there is no control used in the research and no analysis of the vapour itself. Also it would seem that given the nature of ecigs as a harm reduction method that a comparison to cigarettes was also not included in the paper.

Apparently they also exposed cells to cigarette smoke too. The ones exposed to vapour displayed changes after 8 weeks. The ones exposed to cigarette smoke died in 24 hours...
    EDIT- if you follow the link scroll to the top to read the full article. All thumbs here today.
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2015/dec/31/no-theres-still-no-evidence-e-cigarettes-are-as-harmful-as-smoking?CMP=twt_a-science_b-gdnscience#comment-65915884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

bd2012 wrote: »
    The ones exposed to vapour displayed changes after 8 weeks. The ones exposed to cigarette smoke died in 24 hours...

Interestingly these mouth and lung epithelial cells are only supposed to have a normal lifespan of less then 2 weeks.

So this is a complete non-story - the "changed" cells in question are not even around long enough in the human body to have any effect on them what-so-ever by vapour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Interesting reading and rebuttals there everyone, thanks.

I was particularly pleased that the original Guardian reporter was mauled for swallowing the paper's press release whole, because it is exactly how our lazy reporters behave here, whatever the subject.

No scrutiny, lazy "journalism" and getting well paid for it, to boot.

-No wonder people come to places like this for debate/different angles etc.

Aren't we heading into 20mg max territory shortly?

Happy new year to you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

jonski wrote: »

Thanks so much for these, very interesting reading. I am shocked by how desperate some journalists and politicians are to show that ecigs are harmful, its shameful.

Advertisement