Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iconnect .. no receipt

Options
  • 30-12-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi, I bought some apple earphones for Christmas for my daughter, paid 32 euro on my visa debit card. Daughter cannot use same type of earphones, as they do not fit. Returned to store with unopened box, price tag still on, etc. They refused to engage, as I had no receipt, could not find it. Returned home, daughter tried phones, they did not fit her ear, however, one side does not work at all.
    What rights have I, does anyone know? If I show them a bank statement, should that suffice, and then are they legally obliged to refund? Many thanks.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Hi, I bought some apple earphones for Christmas for my daughter, paid 32 euro on my visa debit card. Daughter cannot use same type of earphones, as they do not fit. Returned to store with unopened box, price tag still on, etc. They refused to engage, as I had no receipt, could not find it. Returned home, daughter tried phones, they did not fit her ear, however, one side does not work at all.
    What rights have I, does anyone know? If I show them a bank statement, should that suffice, and then are they legally obliged to refund? Many thanks.
    Ring your bank, they should be able to give you the transaction reference number.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are not legally obliged to refund if you change your mind however they will comply with their return policy which is likely to involve a receipt or demonstration of purchase from that shop.

You are entitled to an exchange or fix if the headphones do not work, again demonstration of purchase will be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A bank statement will suffice as proof of purchase. If the person on the till refuses to accept it, ask to speak with their manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dudara wrote: »
    A bank statement will suffice as proof of purchase. If the person on the till refuses to accept it, ask to speak with their manager.

The lack of a proof of purchase is not totally relevant, since this seems to be a "change of mind" return, the OP states they are not faulty, the wrong item was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Initially, yes, you could say a change of mind, as the earphones would not fit the ear canal snugly.
    However, they subsequently turned out to be faulty, as there is no sound whatsoever from one side.
    I will be returning these on Monday with bank statement and transaction number, as advised by the good people on here, and I will let you know how this pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Initially, yes, you could say a change of mind, as the earphones would not fit the ear canal snugly.
    However, they subsequently turned out to be faulty, as there is no sound whatsoever from one side.
    I will be returning these on Monday with bank statement and transaction number, as advised by the good people on here, and I will let you know how this pans out.

Do that, BUT, go in with the right attitude.
    Politely ask for the manager. GENTLY explain they are faulty and they dont fit anyway. Ask them to look after it. Ok, keep your statutory rights in reserve, but quite often, attitude gets you everywhere. The amount of times I have had ass holes attack me you would not believe. This only causes people to put up defences

Be polite, get them onside, and hopefully you will be sorted out. If that does not work, then try statutory rights...

Let us know how you get on

The lack of a proof of purchase is not totally relevant, since this seems to be a "change of mind" return, the OP states they are not faulty, the wrong item was purchased.

It was initially a change of mind, but the OP has also said that they don't work on one side. That does give the OP a stronger case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dudara wrote: »
    It was initially a change of mind, but the OP has also said that they don't work on one side. That does give the OP a stronger case.

In this case, the store would be perfectly entitled to replace the "faulty" item with the exact same model of Apple Earphone.

In this case, the store would be perfectly entitled to replace the "faulty" item with the exact same model of Apple Earphone.

Absolutely, but they are still entitled to ask for proof of purchase before they do anything, which takes us back to the OP's original question.

Advertisement