Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A minutes silence please for the death of Call of Duty

Options
  • 30-12-2015 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Ok, first off, I'm a lot older than most on here. Been gaming since the Commodore 64 was the cutting edge of game machines. Anyways, I got the first Call of Duty when it came out on pc in 2003/4 (my brain is getting on a bit and I can't remember exactly) and played it to death online when internet speeds were half a megabyte per second at best! Then the upgrade pack came out and we could now use tanks and boy did I stay up gaming until 5am battling my way through Foy, Kursk, etc. Naturally, I bought all the CoDs for pc and then moved onto the PS3 versions.

When Modern Warfare came out, I loved the story mode through MW1, MW2 and finally MW3. Then it all started to go horribly wrong starting with the Black Ops games (sorry but I thought them to be absolutely sh1te) and now the advanced warfare crap has killed off CoD for me completely. Like come on, invisibility shields, being able to jump as high a Superman? It's like the developers went on drugs and lost the run of themselves. I bought the latest Black Ops for my son and it's pure garbage (even though he likes it).

Maybe I'm showing my age, but to me CoD was pure class from the first incarnation on pc right through to MW3 but that's where it nosedived off the cliff. Like come on, real world events right now are scary as hell so why can't we have "realistic" games where U.S. Special forces take on ISIS in Syria. Who'd object to blowing those scumbags away on a nightly basis? We don't need invisibility shields or being able to jump 50 feet into the air. Bring back some damn realism.

Right, rant over. I'm playing MW1 right through MW3 today for old times sake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i loved CoD 4, but that's the last CoD i loved, it broke me it was so good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Minutes silence? I'll piss on its grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cod 4 had a nice balance then every game after that did not punish you for dying. In an online game not dying is importand COD doesnt care for that, you are back alive before your body hits the floor.

If you want realism Squad, Arma 3, R6 Siege might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

respect-cod-620x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I actually have found the Treyarch World at War and Black Ops games the best of the series myself but I don't really see a massive difference between any of the COD games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

J. Marston wrote: »
    Minutes silence? I'll piss on its grave.

Press A to piss on Grave :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TheZPPanda wrote: »
    I actually have found the Treyarch World at War and Black Ops games the best of the series myself but I don't really see a massive difference between any of the COD games.

Id agree,except for BLOPs 2 and 3. WaW and BLOPs 1 were both decent imo. MW2 was the death of CoD for me,noob tube and explosive spam,then the ridiculous kill streaks were the final straw for me.

Only reason to even look at any CoD for me now is the zombies mode included in treyarch games,which me and a few friends still enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I would love the old school games back like World at War or the originals, I hate all the futuristic stuff they keep adding in every iteration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Fondest memory is nazi zombies in world at war. Didn't like the newer versions. It lost it's dark seedy appeal when they brought in teleporters and that sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

They should release all the zombie games together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Haven't been on in months due to the PC cacking itself but I'd say you'd love "Insurgency" you can get it via Steam can't recommend it highly enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Played them all. Enjoying BO3. Fun game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think you need to be careful portraying current events with a videogame.
    It would be easy for it to slip into the type of crap we saw with the Soldier of Fortune games, becoming a minority slaughter simulator with none of the geopolitical nuance.
    If you look at all of the post CoD3 games they are essentially science fiction, with a plotline borne of conspiracy theories.
    A game mimicking the real goings on in the Middle East and you'd be more likely to find yourself playing a game like Spec Ops The Line, do you need to play a game featuring weddings and hospitals being flattened in error by an airstrike you order? Face the media afterwards?
    Find yourself running for your life through the streets of Mogadishu, with your tale between your legs?

No, if you are pointing virtual guns at people let them be fascists, aliens, the PMC enforcers of the Industrial/Military combine, please

My favourite was Call of Duty 2 on the 360, back in 2005, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Call of Duty has been a shambling corpse for years. The last one in enjoyed was probably WaW. MW2 was when it started to get silly. I have played a couple of the more recent ones but i find them boring and never feel the need to purchase them myself.

Its a shame really. COD2 had one of the best singleplayer campaigns of any FPS and COD4 was fantastic as well. But they lost their way a long time ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Games come and go, Medal of Honor was the go to first person shooter for a long time, with a focus on single player story telling.
    And then, with the onset of Call of Duty and Battlefield it was made less and less relevant.
    There's so much choice now, with the likes of Destiny and everything else, CoD seems more like a money making racket, and it's single player campaign an after thought, and a brief one at that.
    If it's single player craic your after it's no harm to dig into the back catalogues to play the likes of Prey and Bulletstorm, the latter being a complete riot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get the love for Call of Duty 2. It's not a bad game but I found it so disappointing compared to the first one. The levels were so small and short due to it being on console and the low amount of RAM, it just didn't have any of the epic moments of the original. I guess there's a lot of nostalgia for it because at the 360 launch it was a hell of a lot better than the likes of Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero.

Call of Duty 4 though was a revelation. Amazing single player campaign and a multiplayer mode that might have borrowed RPG elements from battlefield 2 but ended up informing all multiplayer from then on. I remember Halo 3 being hailed as the big multiplayer game of the generation and CoD4 came along and stole the show right from under it and rightfully so.

Activision at the moment are in the process of running the franchise into the ground. Instead of being like Nintendo, Bethesda or blizzard where every entry in their big IP series is a massive event they've made CoD boring with yearly updates. It happened before with Guitar Hero, they killed that genre dead and it will happen to CoD if it doesn't do something drastically new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Is it selling well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's simple really, COD games were all about the community, gamers having fun playing on large dedicated fast servers with plenty of mods, custom maps etc all which would simply autodownload so anyone could join in the games they liked.
    Our community used to run 4 cod servers at a time from capture the flag to custom maps to zombies etc.

Then mw3 came out and we were no longer allowed to touch or change anything, no more fast large servers, just slow peer to peer, small numbers of players allowed and no mods or custom anything. and they wonder why it died? Any gamer could have told them, but they stopped listening and instead started telling us what we were supposed to want.

The latest COD makers have finally figured this out after too many disasters and are only just now adding back in dedicated servers and mod tools etc, ie going back to what made COD great, but probably too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Domane wrote: »

When Modern Warfare came out, I loved the story mode through MW1, MW2 and finally MW3. Then it all started to go horribly wrong starting with the Black Ops games (sorry but I thought them to be absolutely sh1te) and now the advanced warfare crap has killed off CoD for me completely.

For me it all went downhill after COD4.
    World at War wasn't that bad, and the next one MW2 wasn't a bad game in and of itself....however it came with IWNET....which ruined the online experience for PC gamers.

They removed dedicated servers, which removed the ability for mods or custom maps...which was part of what made COD4 so great.

It still like that now with the latest game on PC, there is no server browser which I find to be utterly ridiculous and unforgivable for a PC FPS in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Not a big fan of the recent call of dutys but $550 million in 3 days!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-generates-550-million-in-/1100-6432185/

I dont think call of duty is taking its last breath anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I'm surprised that people didn't like BLOPS2. It was the best cod since cod4 imo. Maybe not the single player but the multiplayer was great fun and played really well. Not a fan of the new one and will be my last cod for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Got heavily into MW2 and MW3. I quite liked Ghosts, but never really got into Blops or AW. They're selling well enough though, so I wouldn't call it dead or anything like that. We just aren't the target market anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Advanced Wafare was sh1te, I know that turned alot off people of COD (also considering how ghost was good but not great) However withBO3 i have really enjoyed it (besides zombies Shadows of Evil is too long and too tricky)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 FarmersMarket

I am thinking of a word. Damn what is it? Oh yeah! Hyperbole!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I liked the Modern Warfares single player and BLOPS multiplayer is probably my preferred to date. Kind of went off the series because of Black Ops II.
    It just felt like the same thing over and over at that point.

Haven't played any of them since Black Ops II, would any of ye say I'm missing out? What I've seen of them so far myself makes me think not.
    Not saying I'm right, just wondering.
    I am thinking of a word. Damn what is it? Oh yeah! Hyperbole!
    Does that come in a care package or do I have to unlock it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Domane wrote: »
    I bought the latest Black Ops for my son and it's pure garbage (even though he likes it).

Meet the (new) target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Horse84

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Meet the (new) target audience.

I think therein lies the issue. I'm in the same boat. God I feel old lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I liked black ops 1 but that might have mainly been because it was one of the few fps games on the wii and I liked the controls

Haven't bothered with the franchise on any other platform where choice was a lot broader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Definitely feel like the franchise has passed me by. It's not about skill so much as sprinting around the maps trying to shoot people in the back. It's at least 70 % luck. I was a massive cod fan as far as blops 1,but interest waned after that. I've gotten the new one but honestly don't see me prestiging even once. It's bland, too fast and blatantly aimed at the 12 to 19 age bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I totally agree with the OP, Call of Duty was the only gaming franchise I continued to play until BO2 was released.
    This is how I rated the ones I liked.
    MW
    MW2
    W@W
    MW3
    BO

The rest can go to f**k.

Advertisement