Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A minutes silence please for the death of Call of Duty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Definitely feel like the franchise has passed me by. It's not about skill so much as sprinting around the maps trying to shoot people in the back. It's at least 70 % luck. I was a massive cod fan as far as blops 1,but interest waned after that. I've gotten the new one but honestly don't see me prestiging even once. It's bland, too fast and blatantly aimed at the 12 to 19 age bracket.

Disagree i have seen some exceptional players who are very skilled in the game.

My 11 year old is ridiculous at this game, I let him play for me on Blops3 and I was 29-2 and being called a hacker by people I know in TS :D

Im usually 1 for 1, the way he was playing was not something I would do but it worked. I check corners he didnt cos he didnt need too......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

COD4 is probably my favourite multiplayer shooter of all time, and I've played quite a few of them. Balance was perfect, and the map designs were great.

WAW, I think people are suffering a bit from WW2 COD nostalgia here. Atmosphere was lovely, Nazi Zombies is fantastic, but it suffered from terrible hit detection and horribly flawed weapon balance (that submachine gun being more powerful than bolt-action rifles!). Still ok though.

MW2 had major flaws, but it's still a fun game if you get the right sort of players.

Black Ops was alrightish, Vietnam was something new.

MW3 jumped the shark with gimmicks. Haven't played one since. Can we please just have a normal shooter with minimal perks/killstreaks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

World At War had a fantastic ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I enjoyed the Black Ops 1 'numbers' storyline greatly.

The MW 2 & 3 stories were hopelessly terrible (the world war angle).

Haven't played a title since... they are too 'samey'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Treyarch were always the bridesmaid of the CoD world, always in second place to Infinity Ward, then when Activision and IW fell out in a spectacular way, Treyarch seemed to be elevated to "star" status and the previously poorly received World at War and Black Ops were reframed into their major series, with big money going into BLOPS2 and 3.
    CoD:Ghosts flopped hard, in terms of reception afaik, though it sold buckets, and I haven't heard marvellous things about AW either.
    Seems, with the gutting of IW and the team fecking off to make Titanfall as Respawn, and making a fine go at producing a new IP.
    This all seems to back up the OP that CoD really is dead, as a goto title for shooter fans at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

Totally agree with the OP, they have gone too futuristic with recent entries in the series and it has ruined it.

I got BO 3 before Xmas and only played 3 of the campaign missions before giving up. How did they go so far wrong to come from the brilliant Modern Warfare, to shooting ****ing robots non stop? I shouldn't be that surprised though - it's been steadily downhill since BO2 when the utterly ****ing dreadful Ghosts was released (seriously, I hope they just drop that idea without any sequels). I loved CoD from its first title all the way to MW and BO but I think I'm done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Another WWII game would be great. I miss the simplicity of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I thought Advanced Warfare was the best in the series since Black Ops but just couldn't get into Black Ops III. The multiplayer maps are really poor and there's just nothing to the single player campaign.

Why are you paying a minute's silence now when it's been dead for over a decade now? Call of Duty 1 was the last time it did anything revolutionary - now it's just dragging out the same crap with a nicer shade of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why are you paying a minute's silence now when it's been dead for over a decade now? Call of Duty 1 was the last time it did anything revolutionary - now it's just dragging out the same crap with a nicer shade of paint.

That was a rehash of MOHAA brilliant but hardly revolutionary.

Zampella and west made mohaa as 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Loved the old original COD's on pc back in the day. Last one I played was Modern Warfare. I'm not big on online MP, but enjoy a good SP campaign and would have kept buying them for that except they never seem to reduce in price very much. I've never seen a COD game going for a fiver in a sale, they hold their value like gold. So I just gave up on 'em.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That was a rehash of MOHAA brilliant but hardly revolutionary.

Zampella and west made mohaa as 2015

The original CoD was revolutionary in its own way. I remember there was one such small simple dynamic, where a shell goes off near you early in the game and it sent a ringing noise through the speakers and made everything go fuzzy on the game. It was so simple and obvious by today's standards, but it was so immersive. I think that's what a lot of the current generation of FPS gamers are missing out on; just how special those early touches truly were.

Having said that, the destructable objects in Battlefield 4 are good fun. I've died numerous times because I was watching a skyscraper collapse during online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it's clear that call of duty is not in trouble. There will be new cod each year and there will be new generation of young players who just dipping their toes in to call of duty and gaming in general.
    A lot of us here are old farts when it comes to gaming and it's very hard to impress us. I know that from myself. Just a great example will be to all mmorpg veterans. We all remember so fondly our first proper mmorpg and how we tried so many "best new thing" and always come out disappointed.
    I loved my first cods. I owned 2 copies of cod4, mw2, blops 1, because I loved them and played them on pc and 360.
    I eventually buy and try all new cods, but I never buy them on day one since blops 1. I barely play them too.
    Blops 2 was only cod that I really loved from newer ones and even then I did not planed it much as I had been played out of that formula.

Now I play arma 3 exile, cs go and dip in to hardline on xbox one when bored. I just became a bit more mature, boring and thinking fps player, not super twitch skill monster like I was in quake 2 and unreal tournament days. I get destroyed by 10 year olds on cod games, so my tome with franchise is ended. I'll let young ones have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You have an even stranger definition of "dead" than the OP. Games don't have to do anything revolutionary to be fantastic.

You have an even stranger definition of "dead" than the OP. Games don't have to do anything revolutionary to be fantastic.

Dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

I didn't like the transition from World War II to modern times but once they brought out MW1 I absolutely loved it. I could sense it going too far though so I always maintained that once it went too futuristic, which happened pretty much in MW2, I was out. I played and liked BLOPS1 but won't come back until they reel in the years a little and drop the stupidity. That may be never.

I didn't like the transition from World War II to modern times but once they brought out MW1 I absolutely loved it. I could sense it going too far though so I always maintained that once it went too futuristic, which happened pretty much in MW2, I was out. I played and liked BLOPS1 but won't come back until they reel in the years a little and drop the stupidity. That may be never.

I feel we'll never see a modern or older setting for COD again. They've gone too far now and the section of the fanbase who suffer ADD and Tourette's simply wouldn't accept any less now than running along walls or somersaulting over rooftops or some other ridiculous "future" bollixology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I actually loved BO 2 and MW2 the most. Not because of the campaigns, they're always rubbish IMO, but the multiplayer. That's what you buy CoD for anyway.

Who cares who shoots at whom. Often I don't even know whose side I'm on. Shoot the guys with the red nametags :) they must be bad!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Modern warfare 1 was the last good COD game. MW2 was complete rubbish. Player hosted servers and an over emphasis on verticality in the map design as well as going OTT with the perk system killed the game as far as I'm concerned and it's never recovered since.

Battlefield is taking a similar turn these days but that's what happens when a series get's popular and the money hungry vampire publishers sink their teeth into the devs necks and suck all creativity out of them while influencing the games design for maximum profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

I dunno if you fully understand what tourettes is Deep Six . MW2 and BO1 were fun, after that I stopped caring about the series. There's way more inventive games like h1z1 and arma out there to tickle my gaming itch.

• Advertisement

I dunno if you fully understand what tourettes is Deep Six . MW2 and BO1 were fun, after that I stopped caring about the series. There's way more inventive games like h1z1 and arma out there to tickle my gaming itch.

Fun if you had never played an fps game in your life before then maybe yes.

MW2 has to be one of the most infuriatingly frustrating badly designed fps game I have ever played.

BloodBath wrote:
    Fun if you had never played an fps game in your life before then maybe yes.

Each to his own, or should I just repeat like some that after MW1 they were all rubbish?

Each to his own, or should I just repeat like some that after MW1 they were all rubbish?

In terms of SP and imo MP, they were good up until BO2 (which toed the line between modern and too far ahead). Ghosts was...no let's not waste time on that ****. AW and BO3 went too off the wall with the robotic powers, I tried to play another chapter of 3 tonight and just couldn't. It's awful, absolutely dreadful and there's no way I'm pushing myself through it. It's getting traded in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Deep Six wrote: »
    . AW and BO3 went too off the wall with the robotic ****,

I don't feel AW went too far off the wall with the exo suits in the game, they are based for the most part on exo suits DARPA are testing right now, BO3 is too far into Crysis territory though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't feel AW went too far off the wall with the exo suits in the game, they are based for the most part on exo suits DARPA are testing right now, BO3 is too far into Crysis territory though imo.

If we are talking single player campaigns, then bo2 definitely had best one. I was actually feeling bad for killing the main villain and all coming had me on me toes. Definitely the best one.
    Mw1 and mw2 was going really well and then in third one it went ape ****. Couldn't even finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If we are talking single player campaigns, then bo2 definitely had best one. I was actually feeling bad for killing the main villain and all coming had me on me toes. Definitely the best one.
    Mw1 and mw2 was going really well and then in third one it went ape ****. Couldn't even finish it.

I do play CoD for the SP, I played them all except for Ghosts, BLOPS2 and 3.
    I hated BLOPS1 so much I could not bring myself to finish it, from the moment of finding the minigun hidden behind the reception deck of the prison on wards. I just avoided the BLOPS games from then on

MW3 went silly with the entire Russian fleet right in New York harbour with a sub launching ICBMs from 500 yards away, they can do that from the mid Atlantic ffs. It was just a case of how much military hardware sh1t can you fit on the screen at once no mater how silly or practical it was.

Overall though CoD has an identity issue, it does not know what it is or what it needs to be anymore. Bring back the days of the sniper mission flashback in MW.

Not necessarily rubbish but they went down a path of mediocrity. MW2 is by far the worst COD game they have ever released on PC though.

You're entitled to your opinion. I can't overlook how shoddy the PC version of MW2 was at release though. I loved 4 and the older titles.

MW2 was terrible for various reasons. Completely unplayable most of the time between constant server migrations, terrible hit reg due to crappy player servers, lack of mods or clan servers for the same reason.

The map design was awful, the perk and kill streaks were way ott and game breaking. The game was also full of hackers on both PC and PS3 and was full of game breaking glitches and exploits.

It was inferior in almost every way to MW and an unplayable mess from the get go so I disagree with your opinion that it was a good game. It was an awful game.

I haven't bought a COD game since MW2 because of how bad it was. They completely **** on the PC community who made them the company they became in the first place.

Maybe you had it on xbox360 and it was one of your first fps games so you have a different view of it which I can understand but it was complete bollocks on PC when you came from games like MW and BF2 which I went back to after this mess until Bad Company 2 came out. Only a few months between those games but a massive difference in quality.

Played it on the 360, not my first fps but the first one I played online. Sh1t on it all you want, I had a ball playing this game running around with my spas 12 or famas on tdm. Domination was spawn trap hell so I avoided like the plague. I loved this game despite its many flaws, will never forget my first nuke, the moab (or similar) in future titles was a bag of corners compared to it

Crazy how different our experience of the game was but you had it on the best platform for that game and if you were new to multiplayer fps games of that type I can see why you loved it.

For a grumpy old ****er like me though it was a shambles. Luckily Bad company 2 came out not long after. One of the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

MW2 was the best cod for me, found it incredibly easy online to rack up some unbelievable scores.

Advertisement