Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Sunroom

Options
  • 30-12-2015 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I'm thinking of getting a sunroom but have no idea of cost. Any help appreciated as to how much it would be, all in?

Broad outline of what I'd like done below and I've also attached two pictures of ideas I've seen online that would be suitable in terms of potential style, size and shape.

Two other questions:
    Do I need to get an architect or similar to design/sign-off?
    Any recommendations of builders in the Dublin, Kildare, Meath area? (Feel free to PM me)

Brief
    • Small/Medium size sunroom with full height glass windows/bi-fold doors giving the impression the room extends in to the garden.

Specs
    • Remove existing aluminium sliding double door and expand cavity to full 3m width and ceiling height (sunroom could possibly be made wider than 3m but entrance cavity will only be 3m)
    • 3m wide (10ft approx.) x 4m (13ft approx.) extending in to garden
    • Solid structure with slate/tiled roof
    • Floor to ceiling glass on two sides (South and West facing).
    • Potentially fully retractable bi-fold doors on both sides
    • Aluclad preferred but not essential
    • Velux window
    • Highest standard insulation and damp proofing
    • Highest standard insulating glass (triple glazed?)
    • Small patio area all around between grass and glass doors (step down)
    • Radiator connected to existing system
    • Recessed lighting inside and out.
    • Slope on roof must be sufficient so as not to block next door neighbour’s light in to their sunroom
    • High standard of finish

As I say, I have no idea of budget but hopefully attached pics might help. I'm also thinking of putting in a stove but this will most likely be in the original kitchen but with the intention of it heating the sunroom too as it will all be open plan. I do have an idea of prices on stoves though so this doesn't necessarily have to be factored in now.

Thanks very much!

373120.jpg

373121.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The pictures you have shown are not traditional sun rooms in the sense, they are extensions.

Allow €1500 per square meter as an approx cost. The door systems can vary. I recently installed a 5.2m tilt and turn for €7700 which included a wedge of glass above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭893bet

The first one ££££££! Very nice. As said them bifold doors are pricey.

Standard floor to ceiling glass with a French door will be much less.

Just to give an idea of the glass I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

kceire wrote: »
    Just to give an idea of the glass I was talking about.

That window door will probably cost as much if not more than the rest of the build :eek: €€€€€

Looks nice I prefer the first pic though but we don't really have the climate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

3m wide is narrow enough, look at the ur first pic and see the net usable space allowing for the bi-folding doors: a lot of wasted space

second one much more usable but still need access to the doors so corridor effect: stick a decent table anywhere and its end of..

solid roof is all find and dandy insulation/heat wise etc but the existing room will be darkened unless a decent velux in the hip

As kc says its an extension so heating bill for rest of room will go up: 3g or not

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That window door will probably cost as much if not more than the rest of the build :eek: €€€€€

Looks nice I prefer the first pic though but we don't really have the climate for it.

That window and door was supposed and fitted for €7700 from a large window/door support on the swords road here in Dublin. You know the ones "that give you money if anybody even attempts to break into your house through one of their doors" :)

PS. The first pic shows bifold doors. Allows €1000-€1200 per door panel (1m length).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Thanks very much for all the information. It's most helpful.

So it sounds like I'd need to go for 4m x 4m to get a decent sized room.
    Plus a large velux window and as good a level of quality of glass as I can get. The bi-fold doors would be nice but seem very expensive. I'll have to think about them.

I saw this example which might be a good alternative but give a similar effect - two sliding doors to the same corner. I'd imagine it would be a good deal cheaper.

373239.JPG

So I guess I'm looking at in excess of €25k?

It's a lot but I definitely want something that's impressive. I don't need the space but the house at the moment is very disconnected from the garden, and it's a nice size garden which I want to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

glad to contribute.

the door in the corner limits use again as its a corridor
    the velux needs to be in the hip to throw the light into the existing room.
    Re the size, sketch it out to scale and fool around with table sizes, chairs etc.
    u will be amazed how quickly it gets used up allowing for the above.

We went with an 8m wide by 4m deep along the back of the house with one set of double doors off centre with access from the two rooms at the end of house: dining one end, soft chairs other end...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Eglinton wrote: »
    Thanks very much for all the information. It's most helpful.

So it sounds like I'd need to go for 4m x 4m to get a decent sized room.
    Plus a large velux window and as good a level of quality of glass as I can get. The bi-fold doors would be nice but seem very expensive. I'll have to think about them.

I saw this example which might be a good alternative but give a similar effect - two sliding doors to the same corner. I'd imagine it would be a good deal cheaper.

373239.JPG

So I guess I'm looking at in excess of €25k?

It's a lot but I definitely want something that's impressive. I don't need the space but the house at the moment is very disconnected from the garden, and it's a nice size garden which I want to enjoy.

Just beat in mind, the more complex you get, the more steel required, the more it costs.

My example I posted, the steel supply and election by my steel guy was 5k alone. That was separate to the builders works etc

Advertisement