Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Option for Teaching out in Middle East

Options
  • 30-12-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello all,

Really looking for some quality information/guidance on what to do about moving out to teach in the UAE next September. I'm recently qualified out of the University of Limerick with a Science Teaching degree and am currently in my second year of post-qualification teaching in Surrey in the UK.

I've read through the thread on ADEC public schools and am slightly apprehensive about going out to the Middle East not having a clue which school you will be placed in. I understand that you'll be paid a lot extra for this uncertainty and will most likely be put in living accomodation with other Irish/English etc. but I've also heard a few rumours about very poor behaviour and a lack of support from staff in these schools. A former teacher of mine went through teachanywhere and got placed in Abu Dhabi city and is loving it, but he's a Vice Principal out there now and went with his wife. I've also heard that if you're single/young you are more likely to be placed in the more more remote regions.

The other option is to apply directly to International Schools which I've been keeping a close eye on via the TES.com website. Does anyone with any experience out in the UAE with ADEC or who has gone through the TES website/applied directly to international schools have any advice for me? Or know of people who have gone through either/both routes? Links to other threads/forums etc. is appreciated as well.

With my two years experience in UK based schools I'm pretty confident that I'll get a job and I really want to move out there but just not sure of the best route to take.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineadg91

Hi!

Im in my 2nd year working in the UAE and am going about changing my job for next September. ADEC schools pay the best but there is a lot of uncertainty about them and also the student population would be mostly locals so the behaviour can be difficult, of course it all depends on certain schools etc. but thats what my view would be on them. I would look at international schools as preferable, the pay isn't huge but more than enough and tax free usually with accommodation paid for.

From my job search lately there seems to be a huge demand for science teachers and with 2 years experience it really shouldn't be difficult for you to get work especially with experience in the UK as there are a lot of UK curriculum schools. If you have a look on dubizzle.ae or indeed.ae its a good starting point for jobs, also the Taleem group of schools and GEMS group advertise for all schools within their groups.

Any questions in particular just ask!

Advertisement