Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyday boots..

Options
  • 30-12-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am looking for a good pair of boots that I can use for everyday wear and for long walks in the country..need to be waterproof and warm...so basically what I need are a good pair of all round boots ...some of the normal hill walking boots are a little bulky looking to be wearing as a daily boot. Budget will be 100-150 euro
    Thanks for any recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Supalite%20II%201.jpg&m=sl

Link
    Berghaus Supalite may be as close as you get without getting a pair of trail runners.

To be fair, most hiking boots look like hiking boots and do not look like something that you should wear to a restaurant, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ecco are having a sale in Liffey Valley as they are moving premises and they have several Goretex waterproof boots at half price (so in the lower end of your budget). Seems a good deal although I have no experience of their boots (I can recommend most of their other shoes though)

My own boots are Berghaus Goretex ones similar to the ones recommended by Pat Mustard. I got them as a present, no idea how much they cost. They have had a very hard year of usage in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains and they've kept up well, but I will probably need to change them next year. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Is the Outdoor Adventure Store in Bray a bricks & mortar shop or is it just online orders only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

harr wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I am looking for a good pair of boots that I can use for everyday wear and for long walks in the country..need to be waterproof and warm...so basically what I need are a good pair of all round boots ...some of the normal hill walking boots are a little bulky looking to be wearing as a daily boot. Budget will be 100-150 euro
    Thanks for any recommendations

These are my current boots, Ecco Biom Terrain GTX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7BX3PU

I find them excellent, comfortable, durable, lightweight and extremely waterproof.

Can be got for around €130, and they were originally around €300 when first launched, so a bit of a bargain IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Would you consider a walking show instead of a boot? It would be more comfortable for every day wear.

I currently have these - http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=216804

Very comfortable - use them daily and for light trail hikes. I only wear hiking boots for longer hikes or harsher terrain.

Outdoor Adventure Store in Bray is just the warehouse. The shop is on Liffey Street in Dublin. If you're looking at boots there shop around and compare prices. My current hiking boots I got for €95 in Portwest when they were on Suffolk Street and the same day OAS had them for €165. If you're out that direction then you could try 53 Degrees North in Cornelscourt.

These are my current boots, Ecco Biom Terrain GTX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7BX3PU

I find them excellent, comfortable, durable, lightweight and extremely waterproof.

Can be got for around €130, and they were originally around €300 when first launched, so a bit of a bargain IMO.

How sturdy are they - as in ankle protection. Does the sole twist at all? Looking at getting new boots next month - probably going to go full leather if I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Orion wrote: »
    Outdoor Adventure Store in Bray is just the warehouse.
    I went there when they first opened and there was a small shop there then, certainly. There are opening times for it on their website too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Orion wrote: »
    How sturdy are they - as in ankle protection. Does the sole twist at all? Looking at getting new boots next month - probably going to go full leather if I can afford it.

They are very sturdy, the leather is yak leather which they claim is 3 times tougher than cow leather, and they incorporate a large toe guard which is bonded to the upper using some kind of chemical bonding which is supposed to prevent separation.

The sole is not too rigid, but that is the reason I bought them as I prefer a lighter boot which allows me to jog/trot if I want to.

Here's a good review which details the features

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/footwear/walking-boots-leather/ecco-biom-terrain/review/37525.html

Sounds good - might pop into an Ecco store in Dublin and have a look at them. I've funny shaped feet so not all makes suit me. Can't wear any Columbias no matter how good they are. Meindl are fine as are Merrill.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I went there when they first opened and there was a small shop there then, certainly. There are opening times for it on their website too.

I thought they'd moved it to Larch Hill - I could be wrong.

There are opening hours for Bray on the homepage, so they must still have a shop there.

It's described as TSS (The Scout Shop) rather than OAS (Outdoor Adventure Store).

That means they may just sell SI branded stuff. TSS and OAS are the same thing but one sells scout gear and the other proper stuff. Give them a ring and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Army boots aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've worn these as day-to-day footwear and for hillwalking for many many years.

British Army cold weather boots.
    http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/boots-goretex-lined-army-issue-234460.html

Goretex and thinsulate lining - very warm and breathable, as waterproof as any other leather and goretex boot if looked after properly. Look smart enough for work/going out, tough enough for any terrain on this island at any rate! Just stick a good pair of insoles into 'em and away you go.

Advertisement