Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI 'interference'?

• 30-12-2015 4:46pm

Hi, I have a UPC Horizon box that has been having trouble displaying most of the HD channels. Essentially, the audio is mostly fine but the video is glitchy and keeps stalling and skipping. The biggest PITA is that it affects recordings as well, and certain stations (RTE2) are unavailable in SD on the horizon box.

The problem is intermittent, in that it appears for a couple of weeks at a time then seemingly resolves itself. Is tarted a thread on it in the talk to UPC forums, here.

It came back just before Christmas and just now I accidentally discovered that the issue only occurs when i have my android streaming box powered on at the same time. Both boxes are the only devices connected vis HDMI. If i switch it off, the glitching stops immediately and the audio and video are both perfect.

How could the android box (MBOX) be causing this 'interference' in the signal? I haven't got another HDMI cable to test if it's just the cable, but the fact that its fine when the MBOX is off would suggest the cable is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like the two boxes are competing for the attention of the TV and the TV doesn't know which to display. When you have multiple devices switched on and connected to a TV via HDMI cables, it's sort of like a gaggle of kids all demanding attention from a parent at the same time.

You may recall in the days of a VCR that when you switched on the VCR, the TV would automatically switch to the AV (SCART) input, this is something similar except you now have multiple devices telling the TV to 'switch over to me'.

What you need to do is to switch off a facility on the TV called CEC or something similar such that you manually tell the TV which HDMI port to take the signal from.

Each manufacturer has a different name for this facility because they'd all like you to think that this is an ingenious facility that they invented but in reality it's an industry standard designed to allow HDMI-connected devices to talk to one another - the Esperanto of home AV devices if you will. Sony calls it 'Bravia Sync' while Philips calls it 'Easylink'. Check your TV manual and set the option to Off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Hi, I have a UPC Horizon box that has been having trouble displaying most of the HD channels. Essentially, the audio is mostly fine but the video is glitchy and keeps stalling and skipping. The biggest PITA is that it affects recordings as well ...

Is it affecting the recordings as they are being made, or only the playback? (I.e. is the interference to the signal feeding the box, or between box & display.)

Thurston? wrote: »
    Is it affecting the recordings as they are being made, or only the playback? (I.e. is the interference to the signal feeding the box, or between box & display.)

Just the recording. I could replay older recordings fine before I figured out how to negate it.

Cheers for the response, coylemj, i'll have a look at at my tvs settings. It's a Samsung, as is the horizon box.

Advertisement