Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murrough - RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hosted by?

Save the Murrough set it up. Open forum meeting for plans, ideas, suggestions etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Man in a white van had the car park entrance closed off today at lunch time.

Which is moronic.

what right does a private company contracted to Irish Rail to close a car park like this?

There is the playground people might want to use after all

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

That's ok. They park on the cycle path!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Effective, maybe, but my God ugly, hopefully there are further plans.

24215812021_21f5499500_b.jpg
    24190139802_15ac782844_b.jpg
    24272181996_3a160e866f_b.jpg
    24298334305_256e2a4609_b.jpg

At the moment it protects the rail line and gives us access to further up the murrough. But yes it cannot remain at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Whats the latest down at the Murrough, have works finished?

Temp. works to protect railway are done. Now it seems to be a talking game.

As far as I can tell the temporary works done by Irish Rail have been finished. So 'for now' the railway is protected. I know that various groups have been down there looking at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

hdowney wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the temporary works done by Irish Rail have been finished. So 'for now' the railway is protected. I know that various groups have been down there looking at it

I wonder for how long "for now" will be. Judging by the images linked below, probably not very long.

https://www.facebook.com/Skycam-Ireland-575997309142272/?fref=ts

quite likely. one more nasty storm and I'd say the tracks are screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If it follows the same pattern as the north beach at Greystones, the erosion will increase in intensity just beyond the end of the rock armour.
    There is no real answer to this. Every time the rock armour is extended a bit more, the erosion increases at that point.
    If the rock armour is extended all the way, there will be no beach left at all, except at a low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

recedite wrote: »
    If it follows the same pattern as the north beach at Greystones, the erosion will increase in intensity just beyond the end of the rock armour.
    There is no real answer to this. Every time the rock armour is extended a bit more, the erosion increases at that point.
    If the rock armour is extended all the way, there will be no beach left at all, except at a low tide.

There can be though... it just requires more imagination than dumping hundreds of boulders on the shore..

The ballgame is energy.
    If energy can be dispersed, the erosion affect is contained.

It would be tricky to do & would actually require a bit of money & engineering.... but in the water itself, build piles... many many piles of steel reinforced concrete dug in very deep..

Allow the force of the sea to break against these in the water before it reaches the shore.
    So the waves still wash ashore as normal, but with less energy than they would unimpeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They had piles on North beach in Arklow, but didn't stop the sea in a a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks like eventually that the protection works are coming to an end, was down there this morning for a trot.
    They've reopened the northern most section where the boulders taper off and are in the process of levelling from there back to the car park.

Will be interesting to see how they finish this off, if they just plop topsoil on it with little opportunity for it to seed before the winter then surely it will be a mucky mess. Doesn't look like they are planning to extend the prom anyway.

Although I would like to see it reopen asap, hopefully they keep it closed off until spring and let it settle into a nice grass track.

Advertisement