Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cig advice please!

Options
  • 30-12-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm a 40 a day smoker B&H that would like to switch to an e-cig. I've read a lot of stuff on them and am more confused now than before I started? I'd like one that tastes the same or similar to B&H with a good throat hit. What flavour would this be? Also where in the Dun Laoighaire / Bray area is a good place to get one? What exactly do I need to buy? What is the best one to buy?
    Cheers,
    Slick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

slick14 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm a 40 a day smoker B&H that would like to switch to an e-cig. I've read a lot of stuff on them and am more confused now than before I started? I'd like one that tastes the same or similar to B&H with a good throat hit. What flavour would this be? Also where in the Dun Laoighaire / Bray area is a good place to get one? What exactly do I need to buy? What is the best one to buy?
    Cheers,
    Slick.

If you call into Republic of vape on Lower George's Street (just past Argos in Dunlaioghre.
    They'll talk you through everything and you'll be able to sample juice flavours before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

Ecovape is the best shop in Bray but Healthier Choice have upped their game recently. Liam in Ecovape is an enthusiast and hobbyist so gives better advice than the part timers in Healthier Choice. He's on Quinnsborough road where the open air Italian ice cream parlour used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Cigatec is also in Dun laoghaire, Gael is the guys name in there and he is very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slick14

Thanks to all for the info. Have you experience using one? Do they work/help to give up the real thing? Is there one that tastes like B&H?
    Cheers,
    Slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

3 years off them, used to be a 20 a day cig smoker, best thing you can ever do, also massive money saver

cant go wrong - best advise is to walk in to one of the shops mentioned above and try them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

2 years in Feb. without as much as a drag off a smoke since I started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

nearly 2 yrs off them now after smoking for about 30 yrs.
    best thing ever i bought was the e cig..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Three years clean for me. As has been advised drop into a shop and get advice on what to buy. Try lots of flavours and don't worry of none of them are like your bensons. I was a roll up man and right now am using a chocolate/banana/tobacco mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

have to say i stuck to tobacco flavor all the time , never smoke watermellons or blueberrys before i went on the e cig so was not starting now..lol ..On 0 nicotine now and new years day the e cig is for the bin,..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

40 a day smoker and off them 3.5 years. €20,000 better off and my lungs are better off by about 44,000 cigarettes. Think about that. Think about emptying 44,000 cigarettes into a metal bin. Think about throwing in a match. Now think about opening a briefcase packed with €20,000 worth of Fivers. Think about emptying the contents of that briefcase into the bin on top of the burning 44,000 cigarettes. Now think about standing over the bin and inhaling every particle of smoke from that inferno into your lungs.

Now think about that every time you think you are craving the real thing while making the week or two transition from the real thing to the e-cigs. Make sure you start on a high enough nicotine level juice. I was having bad cravings even while using the e-cig that first week until I switched from a 16mg juice to a 24mg juice. For the first week I smoked and used an e-cig concurrently. I'd have a real cig at the trigger points. First thing in Morning, last thing at night and after meals but vaped the rest of the time in between. When I tried to go vaping 100% after the first week I felt I was still having cravings for the real thing. Nothing like the cravings like when trying to quit cold turkey or using useless NRT (patches, inhalers etc) but cravings nonetheless. However, I realised that the cravings weren't real cravings because after all I was getting my nicotine and also my throathit and hand to mouth fixes. These false cravings were simply the residual neural programming from over 20 years of smoking. 20-40 times a day the brain would picture a real cigarette in my minds eye everytime it craved a nicotine hit. Thats when the hand would automatically pat the pockets for the lighter and smokes. That 20-40 times a day for 20 years worth of neural programming doesn't disappear overnight. Even though I was now vaping a week or two, when my brain would feel the need for more nicotine, it would do what it had done 40 times a day for the previous 20 years and picture a real cig. I wasn't really craving a real cig, just the nicotine. After about a fortnight though the old programming started to break and instead of picturing a real cig and thinking I wanted a real cig, I started automatically reaching for my e-cig without thinking instead of patting myself down for a lighter and smokes. Finally the legacy neural programming was broken and I moved to 100% vaping and for the next year never gave a real cig another thought.

I had a stupid relapse a year later and even more stupidly, kept smoking for a month. When I finally told myself to cop on and ordered more juice I transitioned back to vaping instantaneously with no overlap. No resurgent cravings. Nothing at all like the initial transition period. Smoking one day and vaping the next. Piece of P!ss. Kicking myself that I let myself smoke for a month worrying about the transition back to vaping. It was painless. Haven't given the real thing another thought in the 2.5 years since.

Is it going to be exactly like smoking 40 B&H? No of course not. However its magnitudes closer to smoking than any NRT. During the transition when you may say to yourself, "Ah feck this vaping lark, maybe I'll just try and cut back from 40 or switch to rollies" Remember, that never works for long. You'll be back smoking 40 before long. Remember what I said about it taking a week or two for the old neural programming to be broken and Remember....€20,000 saved in 3 years and 44,000 cigarettes worth of crap not coating the inside of your lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'd definitely recommend Republic of Vape because they have probably the best selection of liquids in Ireland and the lads love vaping so know their stuff.

You'll never get a liquid that tastes bang on the same as b&h, because the liquids don't have all the nasty chemicals that the smokes have! You'll find nice tobacco flavours though!

You'll get a good throat hit with the right liquid and set up.

And they definitely work. I haven't smoked for over a year, my boyfriend is a year off them tomorrow, my sister is two years off them. They work and they work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

I'd definitely recommend Republic of Vape because they have probably the best selection of liquids in Ireland and the lads love vaping so know their stuff.

I went in to Republic of Vape and they had very little that wasn't their own brand. I was told to order off their website if I wanted anything else. That's not great if you want to try before you buy.
    I wasn't impressed. Cigatec had a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Regards republic of Vape I found their own brand tobacco flavours to be spot on. They do a 'gold' which is their take on b+h which ain't bad at all.

Advertisement