Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of wood?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a new cloakroom built and want to put some shelves into it. There are 2 sections only about 70cm wide, and will want to make a tall section or 2 to fit ironing board and Hoover

Was not really wanting to put cheap melamine up. Not sure that MDF would be a good option either. Any opinions or advice greatly appreciated. Don't want to spend the earth, but don't want cheap crap either.

Also nervous about the plasterboard walls, what is the best way to secure shelves to them so they don't fall down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just had a new cloakroom built and want to put some shelves into it. There are 2 sections only about 70cm wide, and will want to make a tall section or 2 to fit ironing board and Hoover

Was not really wanting to put cheap melamine up. Not sure that MDF would be a good option either. Any opinions or advice greatly appreciated. Don't want to spend the earth, but don't want cheap crap either.

Also nervous about the plasterboard walls, what is the best way to secure shelves to them so they don't fall down?

You don't say if its a DIY job or if you are getting someone to do it ? If its the latter then they will have some ideas to pitch to you.
    A 70 cm span will always need reinforcement like two battens glued underneath.
    In another thread on shelving an alcove I have suggested cutting a flush door down the middle and reinforcing the cut edges with glued in softwood. I have done this many times and it works a treat. Its a little unconventional but you end up with nice thick shelves usually with a mahogany finish.
    There are numerous fixings available to fix the shelving to plasterboard - I find the 'spring open' metal fixings still the best.
    Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks for that.
    Might try a DIY job as I have all the (fes)tools :)

Was thinking I probably should put some kind of reinforcement in alright. Would you use thrm then to rest the shelf on? I presume along with glue,I should also screw them in.

Would you have a link to those spring screws?

Off now to find the other thread you refered to. Cant really work out what you are saying.... Im a bit simple at times :rolleyes: ..... Maybe a picture over there...or somewhere?

It really comes down to what finish you like. Running screws into supporting battens is a bit crude so I like to glue them.I think MDF with real veneer looks better than the plastic finish of panel boards - and takes glue well.

The flush door idea is explained in the other thread. When you cut into a flush door you expose the 'paper honeycomb' interior and you have to insert a batten with glue between the door surfaces to support it. You can use a softwood about 20mm wide for the back of the shelf as the front edge of the door will face 'out' and is made from hardwood.
    Sorry not clever enough to post links but if you google ' spring toggles' you will find them.

So would a bit of glue really hold the shelves though on its own? There could be some heavy stuff going on them. Are we talking Tec 7 or what? I take it not just Evo stick wood glue.

Looked up other thread re the door. Nice idea, but probably not what we are angling for. I'm thinking some veneered MDF might be the job. Would I need to seal the edges with paint/varnish or would a bit of iron on tape suffice?

Will also be sticking a drawer of 2 in. Is (veneered) MDF a decent medium for building the drawer? Would be dovetailing the joints using a jig.

Just looked up those Spring toggles. I actually have a few which my old man gave me years ago but could never figure them out.... Till I looked up on you tube just now..... Big hole required :(

Actually, I just realised that most of the walls I'll be hanging on have plasterboard but with insulation pre installed on the back of it. Something I have never experienced before. How easy/difficult will that make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Is it going into a carcass that's all ready there if do you could just use shelf studs and some vennered mdf to suit what's there maybe.

If it's solid walls use the batons

• Advertisement

Is it going into a carcass that's all ready there if do you could just use shelf studs and some vennered mdf to suit what's there maybe.

If it's solid walls use the batons

No carcass. Just going to go straight on the walls.

Am also going to stick up some hanger rails, I'll stick them onto the batons also I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye that's it the job would be oxo then.

I'm not suggesting holding the shelves up with glue ! :eek: Thinking about it, with MDF at a 70 cm span you will get away with light loads.
    Blockboard is still the best in terms of load bearing but only seems to come in a horrible pink veneer these days.
    Holding them all up is another matter but I like to screw on some verticals and pocket screw the shelves on to them.
    From memory.those spring toggles need a 10 mm hole and will spring open behind the plasterboard.A little loose insulation can be pushed aside but all the plasterboard fixings rely on expanding behind the board to some extent.

These?
    http://www.woodworkers.ie/sheet_materials/lightweight_blockboard+panels/99/109/

It doesn't say what kind of finish is on them.

Regarding the batons. Would I be better getting some real oak rather than ripping some of the veneered MDF? My guess is yes, but no idea where to buy this. I suppose I would need something about 20mm * 75mm ?

Another reason why I would like real oak for this part is I would also be putting some coat hooks on certain parts so it would obviously be stronger than the MDF when the kids end up hanging out of it!

Would I be mad to go for a couple of sheets of this?

Would these finger jointed sheets rip and crosscut OK to give me what I need in terms of the batons and shelves? Or would I be ruining them?

3 options there, beech obviously a bit cheaper than the oak.

Maybe the pine, go for 25mm and put a good varnish and stain on it. I presume Pine planks are easy to pick up to use as batons

• Advertisement

Birch plywood? Is that the best plywood with the nice looking edge?

We are kinda going round in circles. I don't think you have the facilities to machine hardwood ? Of all the materials you mention, birch ply is the nicest and the edges don't need covering. You could construct the entire unit with 18mm ply and not have to use supporting battens ( under the long edges of the shelves ) as long as the loads on the shelves are not too high.
    Dunno if you are putting in a wardrobe rail but be aware that clothes are very heavy and you would need to put in vertical supports on the side walls to accept the shelving and transfer the weight to the floor.
    If you haven't got a pocket hole jig consider investing in one as they are very handy for these unwieldy type of projects.

I have festool track saw along with table for mounting
    Here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057265607&page=2

I think the long thing, can't remember it's name! is supposed to be for ripping sheets, not set it up at all yet

Would this not suit cutting the oak if I went for that?

Forgot to give an update on this.

I went to an auction and bought a bed! A bed you say... yep a bed, Oak framed. Got it for less than €50 including all fees. I used it to essentially "build the frame" to put the shelves on.

Have gone with a sheet of Oak veneered MDF 20mm thick (again less than €50) and will use that for the actual shelves. Add in the fittings, maybe another €60-€70 and I should be left with a good result all in for less than €200.

Going to finish it off over the weekend hopefully and will post some pics.

25727678520_d4eef6ae12_z.jpg

Advertisement