Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Nathan Carter Show

• 30-12-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Am really looking forward to seeing this tonight. According to the redtops he will get his own series if tonight's show is well received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Am really looking forward to seeing this tonight. According to the redtops he will get his own series if tonight's show is well received.

He probably will given the resurgence in country music

Mary Black and Paddy Casey are guests tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

YEEEEE HAAAAWWWWW

Line-dancers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

My God.

Is this really real?

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The voice just isn't there any more. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I lived in Nashville for 4 years - not a word of a lie - and even I am embarrassed by this shyte. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I lived in Nashville for 4 years - not a word of a lie - and even I am embarrassed by this shyte. :rolleyes:

This needs to improve a bit before it can even aspire to be called shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jesus Christ I despair. This Christmas Nathan Carter Mrs Brown Al Porter A hideously bad quiz show with Mike Murphy. GUBU stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He probably will given the resurgence in country music

Mary Black and Paddy Casey are guests tonight

Mary black :) Paddy Casey :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    My God.

Is this really real?

Wow.

It is indeed Ol' D. Good old Nathan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Jesus Christ I despair. This Christmas Nathan Carter Mrs Brown Al Porter A hideously bad quiz show with Mike Murphy. GUBU stuff.

All this self serving rubbish is terrible. My main problem with RTE is that they force certain individuals on us for a certain period and then they drop them like a hot potato when it suits them. Look at Jedward for example? One minute, everywhere, the next gone.

Of course, Christmas was not complete without having a dose of Derek Ryan and then Ruby Walsh on a quiz show no less. The only music catered for is all this tame popcountry and boybands and the dreadful The Voice of Ireland. I have never seen TV any worse than it is at present. 2015 on RTE had not one thing to recommend for it in general: too much of all these handpicked individuals being promoted and elevated to a status they don't deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

All this self serving rubbish is terrible. My main problem with RTE is that they force certain individuals on us for a certain period and then they drop them like a hot potato when it suits them. Look at Jedward for example? One minute, everywhere, the next gone.

Of course, Christmas was not complete without having a dose of Derek Ryan and then Ruby Walsh on a quiz show no less. The only music catered for is all this tame popcountry and boybands and the dreadful The Voice of Ireland. I have never seen TV any worse than it is at present. 2015 on RTE had not one thing to recommend for it in general: too much of all these handpicked individuals being promoted and elevated to a status they don't deserve.

A dose of Derek Ryan....
    Any dance hall, packed to the rafters round here can't get enough of his dose,
    Country music is booming in the 31 counties at least.

ProudDUB wrote: »

The one type of music I can't stand at all is modern Irish country music or what I prefer to label boyfolk music. It is a mix of the most pop-orientated modern American country mixed in with boyband styles. There is way too much of this rubbish on and real music is neglected.

That boyfolk stuff is not real country music at all. It has nothing to do with Lefty Frizzell, Moon Mullican or Marty Robbins. It doesn't even have anything to do with Daniel either for that matter!

Why RTE are promoting all this fake country music and all the other stuff is beyond me. If it is not fake country shows, it is The Voice of Ireland or some other 5th rate X-Factor copycat. I give up.

The one type of music I can't stand at all is modern Irish country music or what I prefer to label boyfolk music. It is a mix of the most pop-orientated modern American country mixed in with boyband styles. There is way too much of this rubbish on and real music is neglected.

That boyfolk stuff is not real country music at all. It has nothing to do with Lefty Frizzell, Moon Mullican or Marty Robbins. It doesn't even have anything to do with Daniel either for that matter!

Why RTE are promoting all this fake country music and all the other stuff is beyond me. If it is not fake country shows, it is The Voice of Ireland or some other 5th rate X-Factor copycat. I give up.

Because it's what the people want. Any dance hall especially the northern half can't get enough of this county/pop genre

Jb1989 wrote: »
    A dose of Derek Ryan....

This stuff is marketed very well and for some reason is being promoted left right and centre by RTE. I'm sure music of better quality could as well but we all know anything that is a success in Ireland is more or a who you know than what you have.

This stuff is marketed very well and for some reason is being promoted left right and centre by RTE. I'm sure music of better quality could as well but we all know anything that is a success in Ireland is more or a who you know than what you have.

Maybe but the truth is to be seen regarding the type of music being portrayed

Because it's what the people want. Any dance hall especially the northern half can't get enough of this county/pop genre

Not exactly. It is what is being sold to people by the clever marketing types. It is the Louis Walsh-style of management and this music is made mostly by ex boyband members. It is cleverly marketed and sold to gullible audiences that have not heard much else.

Maybe The Voice of Ireland should get one of these boyfolk country guys on the show and look for that style winner as none of the past winners did well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Don't know where people are getting the idea that RTE have promoted Carter and that genre of music. They haven't at all. I'm not a fan of that music at all but it has gotten popular completely outside of mainstream media over the past few years, absolutely nothing to do with RTE. Just because they have him on shows now only shows the ground the popularity they have gained, and fair play to them. Carter has being playing massive amount of small gigs for years, both here and in England and has gained traction through that. It hasn't been shoved down our throats 'boyband' style at all imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭squonk

Not a fan in the slightest but if it's true he's built up his following from gigging like mad and starting smalla nd building well then fair play to him. I've said for years there isn't enough of that anymore witht he Louis phenomenon and the X Factory shíte going around so I can't really trun around and diss someone who has worked hard to build their own following, no matter how crappy I happen to believe their style of music is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

People who like Nathan Carter are up to have a great night out more so than listening to music and reflecting on lyrics and melodies etc.
    They want music they can jive or waltz to delivered by a boy next door type with competent musicians backing him
    It's part of s package, bite to eat accompanied by few glasses of wine then the show, bit of a bop perhaps, ladies of a certain age my get dragged up to dance by someone they fancy, after the show back to the pub for the last one or six
    Tomorrow morning on Facebook crowing about the good night that was had
    If you don't enjoy that kind of thing then just don't watch
    It's not my bag either, but I can tell you it's very popular down in rural Ireland and I'm not about to complain about others taste in entertainment

• Advertisement

I reply to above 3 posts:

First off, Nathan Carter himself is far from being the worst exponent of this genre. He is way better than his contemporaries, some of whom are utterly awful.

While Carter may have worked hard to where he got, the same story does to apply to his inferior contemporaries. RTE via TG4 have been promoting them non-stop on their awful Glor Tire programme. Others are leftovers of boybands like D-Side.

Carter has talent. Unlike his Glor-Tire contemporaries, he is an above average singer and virtually unknown in his genre, is also a good musician (most just sing and rely on their band). There was a reason why I didn't criticise Carter directly in the above as I think he is better than the other inferior rubbish in the genre!

Tubridy has been promoting substandard country music since he got the Friday slot. I don't have to mention their names but there is a group of 3 Mexican friends, and there are 2 blondie male solo performers!! And they are terrible.

A good night out where you have a chat and wine means the music is secondary. You could have the worst band with the worst name like Paddy Whackery and the Whackerypads (made up name) singing the worst stuff imaginable and people would still be happy!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Im watching this again now, god I love him and country music, i watched this new years eve and was nearly crying at that slow song when they were all around the piano.... going into town now today to get my ticket to see Nathan at live at the marquee, hes brillant and fecking gorgeous!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Was that the one with The Shires? They were the only light in that whole show. They were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

If Imelda May of the blues and jazz genre and 5 years past her peak can have a show I don't see why Nathan Carter can't have one. If Carter was from Dublin I don't think we'd be having a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

fin12 wrote: »
    Im watching this again now, god I love him and country music, i watched this new years eve and was nearly crying at that slow song when they were all around the piano.... going into town now today to get my ticket to see Nathan at live at the marquee, hes brillant and fecking gorgeous!!!!!!

Nathan Carter ≠ country music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This is back tonight, first of 4 episodes

New series. The country singer hosts a new chat show featuring live music performances recorded in front of an audience at the Knocknarea Arena, Sligo. His guests in the first episode include Finbar Furey, Westlife's Mark Feehily, Aoife Scott and Cliona Hagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Finbar Furey, I'm not a Nathan fan but he really is good at what he does. I'm just don't find him genuine.

Husband is loving this , I dunno how we are still together at times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Who was the blondie wan singing there ?

Rikand wrote: »
    Who was the blondie wan singing there ?

Cliona Hagan, I think.

That Hall looks well, it's a decent sized band playing.

It's all very cabaret but that's what lots of people like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Skid X wrote: »
    Cliona Hagan, I think.

That Hall looks well, it's a decent sized band playing.

It's all very cabaret but that's what lots of people like.

My mother in law and sister in law would travel the ends of the earth barefoot for a whisper from Nathan.... different strokes for different folks I guess .

To be very fair he really put in the effort and puts on a good show. I'd say very few leave his gigs disappointed.

When Nathan said this lady was going to sing "All along the ..." for a split second I thought she was going to sing "All along the watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix. That would have livened things up

She's a nice singer, but that's a weak song.

Am enjoying this.

I saw this Mark (Markus?) Feehily lad doing support at a gig I was at last year.

He has a very good voice but he doesn't look comfortable as a solo singer, he doesn't 'own' the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

jesus i didnt recognise the westlife lad he has ballooned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

DGood Sligo band "Rackhouse Pilfer" on TG4 right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Wow I haven't laughed as much since father Ted.

Winning price 'to appear in my video'.

Ya mean ol ba*tard...just pay for some extra's. Think it is called Skinny dipping too. WTF

Please pull the plug. Pure shi*e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

This must have been recorded around September. The Willis Family have broken up after the father was convicted of sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really like that song I wish I was back in Ireland, Nathan sang a bit of it on the show last week. He has such a lovely voice.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

A dose of Derek Ryan....

I wouldn't consider Nathen Carter country music. Most of his fans have probably never heard of Waylon Jennings. NC's that watered down Irish showband hybrid version of "country".

I wouldn't consider Nathen Carter country music. Most of his fans have probably never heard of Waylon Jennings. NC's that watered down Irish showband hybrid version of "country".

While I have nothing against NC, I see where you are coming from. Most of NC's main rivals are desperate especially this Lee Matthews guy. Waylon Jennings was one of several singers who rebelled against Nashville's attempts to tame proper country music. A movement like this is badly needed in Ireland now. The media seem to want to turn everything into tame, insipid fare. Way too much boyband and talent show singers coming into this country music. This Jim Devine is another: A Voice of Ireland contestant.

• Advertisement

Watching his Christmas show and no "country" guests or even songs, he is moving away from where he started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Any sign of Twink or Johnny Logan being trotted out?

He's just this year's Imelda May. Rte will have another favourite by next xmas.

There's a very good country band from Sligo called Rackhouse Pilfer. They started off as Leon and Leslie, maybe 10 years ago, and evolved into a 6 piece since. . One of Leon and Leslie's great finishers was Wagon Wheel. Recently at a RP gig I asked Leon why they stopped doing Wagon Wheel. He said it was in case anyone thought they were Nathan Carter fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    There's a very good country band from Sligo called Rackhouse Pilfer. They started off as Leon and Leslie, maybe 10 years ago, and evolved into a 6 piece since. . One of Leon and Leslie's great finishers was Wagon Wheel. Recently at a RP gig I asked Leon why they stopped doing Wagon Wheel. He said it was in case anyone thought they were Nathan Carter fans.

Never heard of them before. Just googled them there, they're great.

(And that's before I noticed yer man's GNR tshirt)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Never heard of them before. Just googled them there, they're great.

(And that's before I noticed yer man's GNR tshirt)

Heres a clip RTE put up today.
    https://www.facebook.com/RTEentertainment/videos/1194468317268534/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Leon, the singer/guitarist, has been a massive GNR fan since he was a teenager.
    They are going recording their new album soon and tells me he'll be playing an electric guitar for all of it

I can see divisions in the fans already.

Mods. Im not shilling or spamming.

He gets a Nashville show before another series of his show kicks off

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Byrnie55483

Seven and a half thousand for a jacket is a bit much just for the use of absorbing a bit of heat,i think i would buy a lot of rug's and hot water bottle's for that :D . Also a million euro to insure a jacket sure no wonder car insurance is up through the roof,it's letting the power go the insurance company's head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The Coalminer's other daughter was none too pleased to be reminded her most famous song was 40 years old.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    The Coalminer's other daughter was none too pleased to be reminded her most famous song was 40 years old.

I never knew Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle were sisters :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement