Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrapping filter in tights

Options
  • 30-12-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm murdered with my filter, lads.

My pleco loves nothing better than to dig, kicking up clouds of substrate which clogs the filter, I'm having to rinse the sponge a lot more often than I'd like. Do you think sticking a leg of a pair of tights over the filter would help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Yes, that should help.

Just keep a close eye on it to make sure that it doesn't disrupt the filter's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If it clogging up that easily you either have too small of a filter or else you're over feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't remember the make of the filter but I definitely made sure it was rated for a tank twice the size when I got it. I don't think I'm overfeeding. I have a soil substrate and she constantly digs wopping great holes and kicks up clouds of soil. Her favourite spot is right by the filter too. I'll try the tights and hopefully that'll sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Would you consider an undergravel filter? It might improve things a little.

Would that work with soil? I've thought that maybe an external one with a settling tank might be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I am not a fan of undergravel filters.

Stuck a pop sock on after my WC today so we'll see how it goes. It certainly isn't impacting on the flow rate at all; the crinums look like they're in a gale and the cardinals are definitely enjoying it. Now I just have to wait for the plec to start digging and see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I used tights around filter stuff loads of times, it's particularly good for adding activated charcoal to a filter ;)

Advertisement