Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable time for playing music that can be heard?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

we seem to be starting to have some neighbour problems,
    related to noise, late DIY tapping and hammering, has gone on before, but as of late Ive noticed too that they have started playing music late.
    I noticed they started recently and its being played gradually louder and longer within a short space of time.

They usually do this after our 3yo son has gone to bed,
    while the volume of the music isnt that loud, its the base component that I can hear at the furthest reaches of the house.
    I can hear it now as a continuing repeating beat! I can hear it over the tv Im watching in the same room.

Ive knocked in recently when this was going on till 11.30, where I had to be up at 5am the next morning and when my son was asleep, even if he isn't woken by this, I dont appreciate the drum in my ears. I didn't get an answer but the music went down and then off.

I'm fit to go in now, as I dont want this going on forever, but I think I'm going to catch one of them at another time and raise it with them, they are well aware Im not happy, but I did say hello to them since, today they did not speak to me today as they passed me on the way in and the music is back on, I dont get what makes them think they can just make a noise that can be heard by others and not give a single damn.

Am I being unreasonable? should I say it now while the music is on? They dont seem like bad people, but they are inconsiderate in a number of ways.

I think our right to peace to not have to listen to this kind of noise supersedes any opinion they have a right to listen to it, if its one person they could get headphones.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think asking for it to be turned down at twenty past eight in the evening is unreasonable yes, it's just the beat resonating that you can hear?

Ten o'clock seems to be the de facto cut off time where people expect noise to abate in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its not "just" anything, its way more than "just".
    I wouldnt mind louder music, but the intermittant beat I consider to be unreasonable.
    I wouldnt play that noise at anytime, and I dont play loud music (as much as I think it might improve the experience), I consider it inconsiderate.

Aside from this, they know we have a very young child, its fairly obvious that our child goes to bed early. There is absolutely no reason to play music so loud it can be heard by your neighbours.
    I never grew up with this experience that people did what they please regardless of others, and I grew up in a place which then and now has a reputation of not being that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Midnight to 8am are the quiet hours in our development. Complaining about noise at 8.20pm would definitely be unreasonable imo.

While you may see it as insensitive that the neighbours play music at night (at a still early time) they should not have to compromise their downtime because you have a child or because you start work early.

At this time of year people tend to be noisier, visiting friends, celebrations etc. It may be a short term issue, hopefully it will pass in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

11pm i would consider about right but if its only the base perhaps that can be addressed seperately? Sadly the fact that people have kids and / or work shifts, etc isnt the neighbours problem.

Its one of those things, it starts as a minor irritant and builds. I had it with little boy racers in the cul de sac at the end of my street. Started just the odd time the vroom vroom bean can on an astra would get my attention until eventually I was fit to kill every last one of em. Thankfully they grew up and moved out or sold the **** boxes

esforum wrote: »
    11pm i would consider about right but if its only the base perhaps that can be addressed seperately? Sadly the fact that people have kids and / or work shifts, etc isnt the neighbours problem.

Its one of those things, it starts as a minor irritant and builds. I had it with little boy racers in the cul de sac at the end of my street. Started just the odd time the vroom vroom bean can on an astra would get my attention until eventually I was fit to kill every last one of em. Thankfully they grew up and moved out or sold the **** boxes

tbh, the base is the worst part, the music isnt that noticeable and I consider it an acceptable time, its really the base that is the problem as it can be heard throughout my house even when you cannot hear the music.
    Despite the replies, I believe its highly inconsiderate to play music when its easy to see that its going to be heard, Im not excusing anyone being on a shift as a reason others might object to noise, I think its possible to live your life without base or imposing it on someone else, that or stick on some headphones.

I dont agree with the opinion that others having children is not an acceptable as a reason to not be considerate of, not that I think its the sole reason someone should be considerate of others though. I find the kind of people that disrupt others are the most ardent when they happen to be inconvenienced and usually harp on fairly loud
    about their own rights. As an aside, we've already been hearing this after 11pm, but more the volume and duration has been increasing.

My own opinion is there is more of a right to peace than there is of a right to partay.
    and its better to nip these things in the bud before people start believing its a right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

cerastes wrote: »
    My own opinion is there is more of a right to peace than there is of a right to partay.
    and its better to nip these things in the bud before people start believing its a right.

Then you need a detached house in the country. There is no such thing as a right to peace nor a right to party. However you have no right to dictate to your neighbours regarding what they can do and when they can do it as long as no laws (or by laws) are being broken.

Im not 100% you're completely right there, of course who wouldnt want a detached place in the countryside.
    Ive lived in plenty of places, mostly attached and semi detached though, both rented and in owner occupied capacity and this is the only place Ive lived where Ive experienced this kind of inconsideration.
    There is absolutely no right to partay, but Im fairly sure complaints about noise can be made, that said, I dont want to interfere in someones enjoyment of their life how they choose, to a point, which is where it unreasonably imposes on my and my my family's life. My opinion is a bit of consideration for the obvious goes a long way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Im not 100% you're completely right there, of course who wouldnt want a detached place in the countryside.
    Ive lived in plenty of places, mostly attached and semi detached though, both rented and in owner occupied capacity and this is the only place Ive lived where Ive experienced this kind of inconsideration.
    There is absolutely no right to partay, but Im fairly sure complaints about noise can be made, that said, I dont want to interfere in someones enjoyment of their life how they choose, to a point, which is where it unreasonably imposes on my and my my family's life. My opinion is a bit of consideration for the obvious goes a long way.

You can complain to your local council. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Can't see you getting very far though tbh, as your requirements seem to be utterly unreasonable you admit you can't even hear the music, just the reverberation of the bass tone.

Is it a terraced/detached house you live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Your best bet is to be nice and compromise.

When I lived in an apartment it was midnight to 9am. Now that was for any noise, basically if you could hear it there was a problem. If there was 'unreasonable' noise earlier than that then it could still be an issue but base at 8:30pm while annoying isn't really cause for complaint. Pop round for a cuppa/invite them round, be diplomatic and ask them nicely.

I see what you're saying, I actually wouldnt mind music, of pretty much any sort, as a consistent background noise I can live with it within reason, but Base permeates every room, have had to listen to this up till pretty late. When its on, its actually worse on the opposite side of the house, a continual repetitive but alternating beat/drone. I just think its avoidable.

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying, I actually wouldnt mind music, of pretty much any sort, as a consistent background noise I can live with it within reason, but Base permeates every room, have had to listen to this up till pretty late. When its on, its actually worse on the opposite side of the house, a continual repetitive but alternating beat/drone. I just think its avoidable.

Go talk to your neighbours about it and take it from there.

It winds me up too. It's ****ty dance music, can't stand it but then I'm sure they're equally unimpressed when I have classical music/opera on so I can hear it in the bog :pac: Each to their own I'm afraid. The only thing you can do is have a chat to them and ask nicely.

It winds me up too. It's ****ty dance music, can't stand it but then I'm sure they're equally unimpressed when I have classical music/opera on so I can hear it in the bog :pac: Each to their own I'm afraid. The only thing you can do is have a chat to them and ask nicely.

I dont even mind some dance music, even with base, just at an appropriate time, ie earlier when the background noise would reduce its noticeably (or better still, when Im not in) I would like a variety of music, not just one thing all the time ( I just dont currently play music).

Well, you've given me some ideas, I'll have a word, see how it goes, if that doesnt work I'll be blitzkrieging my way through Beethoven symphonies, hopefully wont have to see if that message gets through, although I would love to crank some of that and maybe some Rachmaninoff up.

I dont even mind some dance music, even with base, just at an appropriate time, ie earlier when the background noise would reduce its noticeably, I would like a variety of music, not just one thing all the time.

Earlier than twenty past eight in the evening? That's not reasonable, you need to be a bit more pragmatic here. No one would think that was reasonable. You also can't dictate what type of music your neighbours play!

Stheno wrote: »
    You also can't dictate what type of music your neighbours play!

To be completely fair to our slightly unreasonable friend - I don't think he's trying to.

To be completely fair to our slightly unreasonable friend - I don't think he's trying to.

Well I hope he/she doesn't ask the neighbours to stop playing music after 8pm, I can't imagine they will get any sort of good reaction!

Stheno wrote: »
    Earlier than twenty past eight in the evening? That's not reasonable, you need to be a bit more pragmatic here. No one would think that was reasonable. You also can't dictate what type of music your neighbours play!

To be fair, Im not, Im just saying I dont like music with base all the time or particularily, but mostly late, when Im trying to relax and when my son is asleep,, that I dont get that it seems to be the only music they or anyone might seem to like only, is a seperate thing.
    They seem to just play it in the background? it doesnt even seem like its music to be specifically listened to?

I knew someone like this years ago, a friend, I was fairly astonished that they played loud music fairly frequently in complete disregard of their neighbours or that his parents didnt put a stop to it? more or less the parents were just happy to let them do what they want, so I can estimate whats going on on the other side, it usually involves a certain amount of obvliviousness, feigned or real and a certain amount of disregard.

To be fair, Im not, Im just saying I dont like music with base all the time, that I dont get that it seems to be the only music they or anyone might seem to like only, is a seperate thing.

I don't like that type of music at all, but people who do, seem to be seriously into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

we seem to be starting to have some neighbour problems,
    related to noise, late DIY tapping and hammering, has gone on before, but as of late Ive noticed too that they have started playing music late.
    I noticed they started recently and its being played gradually louder and longer within a short space of time.

They usually do this after our 3yo son has gone to bed,
    while the volume of the music isnt that loud, its the base component that I can hear at the furthest reaches of the house.
    I can hear it now as a continuing repeating beat! I can hear it over the tv Im watching in the same room.

Ive knocked in recently when this was going on till 11.30, where I had to be up at 5am the next morning and when my son was asleep, even if he isn't woken by this, I dont appreciate the drum in my ears. I didn't get an answer but the music went down and then off.

I'm fit to go in now, as I dont want this going on forever, but I think I'm going to catch one of them at another time and raise it with them, they are well aware Im not happy, but I did say hello to them since, today they did not speak to me today as they passed me on the way in and the music is back on, I dont get what makes them think they can just make a noise that can be heard by others and not give a single damn.

Am I being unreasonable? should I say it now while the music is on? They dont seem like bad people, but they are inconsiderate in a number of ways.

I think our right to peace to not have to listen to this kind of noise supersedes any opinion they have a right to listen to it, if its one person they could get headphones.
    I know it won't solve your problem op and commiserations but this is the reason I love living in the country :)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know it won't solve your problem op and commiserations but this is the reason I love living in the country :)

Honestly, if I could afford to move tomorrow, I would.
    The alarms used to bother me when I moved here, eventually I think all those batteries wore out, including the ones in the bellboxes or they just got disconnected by their owners as an inconvenience.
    If Im ever able to, I think a detached house in the country or even just anywhere in a nicer area :)

Its been off a while, so its nicer now.

• Advertisement

You just need decent insulation between properties. I'm end of terrace and the family next door could be having a post-apocalyptic rave and I'd never hear it. That said I'm lucky as it's and end terrace built on to an end terrace so we have extra sound proofing. Still it can be retrofitted to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you thought about a trip to the doctors at all don't mean it in a bad way ,
    Sounds like you've fairly sensitive hearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sound proofing between modern homes is very bad I was worried about upsetting a future neighbour with my music or films
    We were gonna buy a semi so I asked the EA to hat was asking both of the semis we were seeing if I could I'd stick on a radio in one house and pop into the other
    I had marked the volume and he had turned it down welhen we went next door
    And back up
    When we came back I pointed out he'd messed with it and he just shrugged

Ended up we bought a detached home after the crash made it affordable and I can play what ever I want without worrying what the missus thinks about me upsetting the neighbours
    So thank you Matt

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you thought about a trip to the doctors at all don't mean it in a bad way ,
    Sounds like you've fairly sensitive hearing

I hope you don’t consider it acceptable to stalk people out in the real world too, that’s a crime you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I hope you don’t consider it acceptable to stalk people out in the real world too, that’s a crime you know.

????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In our development- our leases (the thousand year lease) dictates that the hours of quietness are between 10PM and 6AM. Unreasonable noise that carries between dwellings is not permitted outside of those hours- and we further drill down advising about loud televisions, doors slamming, music etc etc.

Its not fair or reasonable to try to get people to turn off their music before 9 or 10PM- similarly- for those of us who are early risers- its not fair to be stomping around the place- or putting on the washing machine before 8AM in the morning.

Its all about consideration for our neighbours- and understanding that all our circumstances are different- and trying to find a compromise that we can all live with. If you can't find a compromise- then you need to escalate the issue to an appropriate authority. If its a modern dwelling involving a management company- the management company is the competent authority for dealing with these type issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Had the same problem with an upstairs neighbour. Base reverberating through the ceiling constantly and I was fit to murder him.

Instead I asked him down to listen. He was very surprised! A cushion under his speakers and the problem was solved. The vibrations no longer got picked up and amplified through my concrete ceiling once the speakers were off the floor.

Talk to your neighbour. Explain the problem. Ask can he muffle his speakers by putting something behind or under them. Bring him in to hear what you hear.

The time of day is irrelevant IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

It's bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

OP is focusing on the kind of music too much, noise is noise. Base beats are a lower frequency on the sound spectrum so it travels easier and further through a medium i.e your walls/ceilings.

I have the same with my upstairs neighbours, they have kids and wooden floors and during the day theres banging and running and noise, and at night theres this base beat from their lovely music. Not always but sometimes.

During the day it winds me up and I find myself getting frustrated but theres nothing you can do short of complaining and potentially making the situation worse, or dealing with it.

Recently they've started putting the washing machine on at about 10.30pm and its in the room above our bedroom. So the spin cycle is right about 1130pm, this is p*ssing me off, they have a duplex so theyre upstairs oblivious to the noise.

If the washing machine thing continues I might say something but music/kids/terrible taste in music I adopt live and let live attitude. Getting yourself wound up about will make you notice it more, which will wind you up even more.

Easier said than done, but something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

The nature of Bass is that it carries like Treble doesn't. The neighbours are probably not even aware of it so just think about that before you lose it with them. Best to explain and even ask them around to experience it. As you said - the volume itself isn't the primary issue.
    I feel for you though. Had same issue here with a house 2 doors down.

Advertisement