Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airlines that transport guinea pigs

• 30-12-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is moving back to Belgium and wants to take her two pet guinea pigs with her. Plane is really the only option but apparently neither Ryanair nor Aer Lingus (surprisingly) will allow them on board (either in the cabin or in the hold).

Are there any other options available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Try asking on the Irish Rabbit & Guinea Pig Facebook group. There are members there who regularly import piggies.

However it might be worth your friend considering the age of the Guinea Pigs & how shipping would affect them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try contacting some of the pet relocation/pet transportation/pet courier companies, some of them may deal with smaller furries. Your girlfriend might not be able to bring them on the plane with her but at least they'll make it over to her.

If it's of any help, Lufthansa (the 'normal' passengers part of their company) only deals with cats and dogs, but I wouldn't be certain about their cargo side of the business.

You could also try to contact the dept of Agriculture, they have more information here too. http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/petbirdsotherpets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Put em in her pocket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Car99 wrote: »
    Put em in her pocket

That'd have interesting consequences if the passenger happened to be frisked whilst going through the baggage check :o

Anyway, with mod shoes on, it goes without saying that comments like the above need to be taken in the (I assume) tongue-in-cheek tone they were intended :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I would have thought Aer Lingus would have allowed them seeing as they are much smaller than the usual dogs/cats.

Plus being soo small they would be the perfect size for a small crate to fit under seat.

Is it something to do with being a short European flight. I remember BA wouldn't fly any animals between Ireland and UK(if you were leaving from Ireland that is) but would fly them if you were leaving from UK going further abroad like the States. The planes they use between Irish UK flights are smaller/not equipped apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I would have thought Aer Lingus would have allowed them seeing as they are much smaller than the usual dogs/cats.

Plus being soo small they would be the perfect size for a small crate to fit under seat.

Is it something to do with being a short European flight. I remember BA wouldn't fly any animals between Ireland and UK(if you were leaving from Ireland that is) but would fly them if you were leaving from UK going further abroad like the States. The planes they use between Irish UK flights are smaller/not equipped apparently.

It's because if they got loose , you would have great difficult catching/ finding them and they could nibble on something important . And if they went missing the aircraft wouldn't be allowed fly until they were captured. Potentially very expensive , the risk reward wouldn't be worth it.

Advertisement