Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of leaving the civil service

Options
  • 30-12-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've been in the department of social protection for over four years now, I've been working on public counter for two years and really unhappy. It's difficult to deal with public that take a lot out on you. I've applied for a transfer to hr department as I am currently studying hr in college part time but transfer does not seem likely. I don't know what my options are now as I am a co and have not got anywhere with eo competitions either. It might be time to get out of my job and leave the civil service although if I am that unhappy. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Juak wrote: »
    I've been in the department of social protection for over four years now, I've been working on public counter for two years and really unhappy. It's difficult to deal with public that take a lot out on you. I've applied for a transfer to hr department as I am currently studying hr in college part time but transfer does not seem likely. I don't know what my options are now as I am a co and have not got anywhere with eo competitions either. It might be time to get out of my job and leave the civil service although if I am that unhappy. Any advice?

I think you have 4 options:

1. Stay as is.

2. Talk to your manager about coming in to a different section from the counter.

3. Ask for a career break and try your luck in the private sector with a safety net.

4. Resign from the civil service and try your luck in the private sector without a safety net.

If I was in your situation I would start at number 2 and take it from there. It really is down to yourself though. The very best of luck on whatever path you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juak

Thanks just got a new manager maybe he can help as I've already taken two career breaks in my ten years overall in service so only have one left now. Hopefully talking to manager won't discredit my ambition for future movement or promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Make an appointment with the employee assistance officer. I know people who were working in stressful situations who tried this, then used it to help progress their application for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op I presume means CO means clerical officer. Are you 10 years in the civil service as a clerical officer? A relative of mine worked as a CO and didn't last five years as he was going nowhere and wasn't getting anywhere with the competitions for promotion. He went straight from Leaving cert so didn't have a degree. By the time he got married and had kids he left and moved to the private sector as the wages weren't enough to raise a family and pay the mortgage. Maybe when you have completed your studies you might secure a transfer but who knows. You could try option 3 take a career break and see if you could get a job in the private sector.

Advertisement