Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Accountant Opportunities Question

Options
  • 30-12-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi There:

Trying to figure out if the market is just really soft or if I'm just missing something.

I'm aware that Chartered Accountants Ireland publishes an annual compensation guide. However they claim that the average base salary is around 85k. I have seen very few job openings listed in that range.

I've been told by a few employers and recruiters that I have an in-demand hard to find skill set - Chartered Accountant who can also hammer out IT code, but all of the numbers that I'm seeing from the same people are all much lower than the average. The exception being if I went for a consulting job

Most of my work is outside of day to day finance - often being the person who manages the reporting and budgeting software environments, and being finance's SME / Stakeholder on most IT projects.

Does anyone else have a feel for a accountancy market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Talk to some of the recruiters as they will have the inside track.

Have a look at their job listing and suss out roles and jo descriptions etc.

Places to start may be linkedin job, cpl, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dodobird wrote: »
    Hi There:

Trying to figure out if the market is just really soft or if I'm just missing something.

I'm aware that Chartered Accountants Ireland publishes an annual compensation guide. However they claim that the average base salary is around 85k. I have seen very few job openings listed in that range.

I've been told by a few employers and recruiters that I have an in-demand hard to find skill set - Chartered Accountant who can also hammer out IT code, but all of the numbers that I'm seeing from the same people are all much lower than the average. The exception being if I went for a consulting job

Most of my work is outside of day to day finance - often being the person who manages the reporting and budgeting software environments, and being finance's SME / Stakeholder on most IT projects.

Does anyone else have a feel for a accountancy market?

Your role sounds more of a business analyst than a pure accountant.

It would be rare a BA would earn more than 60k in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dodobird

Thank you both of you.

My current role is more than just a BA, I'm a direct report to the VP / Corporate Controller for an company with 2000+ employees, I just don't have a manager title, but participate in the management bonus pool. unfortunately employers look for the title. I do some hands to keyboard work, but that's less than 20% of my job now. The other 80 is more meeting with Vendors, negotiating contracts, and managing the work that they're doing. I'm currently a lot higher than 60k. I used to be a technical architect with one of the big 4. I also easily could manage an FP&A team on the finance side, as I did when our FP&A manager was on medical leave.

The recruiters I talk to always encourage me to talk to the tech side, since there's a shortage of accountants who are tech savvy beyond. I actually got out of pure accounting years ago because tech paid more.

We currently are not in Ireland, but now that my parents are gone, the wife wants to move back to Dublin.

Advertisement