Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to canada with a teen

• 30-12-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi my self and the hubby are looking to emigrate to canada. I have 3 children aged 3, 2 and 13 , my concern is for the 13 year old/. He started secondary this year, does anyone know what its like for transfering to the school system there, will he be behind ??? looking between manitoba and saskatoon at the min

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

No idea with regards your actual situation but if you need any info on Manitoba feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 unblinkered optimist

Your teenager will love it, ours did, its a tad chilly here in Saskatchewan at the moment, but you can dress for the weather. Educationally, if they are doing honours levels back in Ireland, they will be ahead of the curve here, if its ordinary level, then they will be at the average here. Best of luck with the move, if you have any specific questions then PM me and I will be more than happy to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

A bit recession over there at the mo , some of my family moving back this way now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My teenage nephew didn't like it. Was too cold and the family felt it hard to mix with Canadians. He wasn't making making much friends at school despite being quite a popular athletic kid in his previous school. Granted they were from quite a warm state in the south of the US.

I have a few Canadian friends and I've noticed a decent amount have moved across the border to the US. Not a good sign for the Canadian economy if people are moving here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Your teenager will love it, ours did

You really can't make sweeping generalisations like that, every child/teenager has a different reaction to emigrating to a new country and particularly to an area with a different climate. While one might love it, the next might hate it. Ultimately I think the parents will have a fair idea of how their children will react.

As for education, (in my experience) I think the system in Canada is a bit different, less focused on rote learning and more of an holistic approach around personal development. The years line up a bit differently too, they don't all start secondary/high school at age 12, looks like in Manitoba they don't start senior school until age 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

There's no getting away from it - The winter in Canada really sucks, particularly as you go further north away from near the US border. The total almost religious obsession with ice hockey is another thing that annoys me. Generally nice in the summer though !

Advertisement